Players Arrested (Old news)

It’s damn embarrassing that campus cops are arresting football players for pot. Come on Plowman get this **** under control. When’s the last time anyones heard of an Alabama, UGA or Florida campus cop arresting a football player for pot?

Football players being arrested for pot by UGA PD and ACCPD has been a pretty regular occurrence over the years. Some fairly recent ones are Brenton Cox, Robert Beal, Natrez Patrick, Chauncey Rivers, Elijah Holyfield, Riley Ridley. At least 5 of those were busted by UGA campus police, mostly for smoking in the dormitory room I believe. Over the last 15 years I can also remember football players arrested for public intoxication (player fell asleep in a public bathroom), minor in possession of alcohol (walking down the sidewalk with a beer), popping firecrackers on campus on 4th of July, shooting solo cups with a BB gun in a dorm room, driving mopeds with an expired license (several times during the Richt era), etc.

Last edited:
A witness was mentioned in the police report, as noted here (UT player, signees face misdemeanor drug charges in Stokely Hall incident | wbir.com ).

That witness may very well have acted in what s/he believed was a good Samaritan role by calling the police when s/he witnessed what appeared to be an assault and forced entry for the purpose of burglary.

In this case, the perspective of the witness, and possibly his/her limited familiarity with the people involved, could explain a lot.

If that witness confused shouting and jumping around for fighting, there may not actually have been any assault. If the witness confused people entering the dorm room for burglary, there may not have been any theft. And even if the worst being assumed by some were true, that repossession of drugs is involved, a third party witness might still explain why a call was made even though the alleged victim refuses to name an assailant.

We simply do not know what happened. Period. It could all be an innocent mistake by the witness, or it could be a cover-up by the people involved because of criminal culpability, or any of a number of other possibilities.

We will likely never know. Let's be American and assume the lads are innocent until/unless shown to be guilty of something.
As I said, college kids calling the cops on strangers for a simple dorm fight, disturbance, etc????? In my experience, kids know that clowning, yelling, friends pushing into someone's room, some pushing and shoving, even fisticuffs..... happens in a dorm. Until it gets real, and I mean real like bodies are hitting the floor, meh..... it's called being young.

Until there's bullets or blood, calling the police for a "disturbance" in a dorm that doesn't involve someone you know is in trouble is a pu**y a** b**tch move that can..... and looks like it did...... lead to nothing good.

So either someone's got a long nose and a short IQ......... or....... something more than your average dorm shenanigans went down.

As I said, college kids calling the cops on strangers for a simple dorm fight, disturbance, etc????? In my experience, kids know that clowning, yelling, friends pushing into someone's room, some pushing and shoving, even fisticuffs..... happens in a dorm. Until it gets real, and I mean real like bodies are hitting the floor, meh..... it's called being young.

Until there's bullets or blood, calling the police for a "disturbance" in a dorm that doesn't involve someone you know is in trouble a pu**y a** b**tch move that can..... and looks like it did...... lead to nothing good.

So either someone's got a long nose and a short IQ......... or....... something more than your average dorm shenanigans went down.
Or the witness is a freshman who never saw people interact in this way before, and misinterpreted what they were hearing and seeing.

Let's don't assume all these young students share our perspective of the world. All kinds of folks come together for the first time in college dorms.

Or the witness is a freshman who never saw people interact in this way before, and misinterpreted what they were hearing and seeing.

Let's don't assume all these young students share our perspective of the world. All kinds of folks come together for the first time in college dorms.
Perhaps an international student or some kid who has been sheltered in some kinda religious school bubble but jeez...... high school shenanigans, even girl scout horseplay, just the basic American interaction among neighbors is: Stay out of it until you are dang sure someone is in danger or you're a straight up loser.

It's a stretch to assume that this incident happened to involve the 0.1% of the UT student population who doesn't understand how being young in America involves plenty of roughhousing..... and that rule #1 is always stay the hell outta other people's beefs.

Other than that, sure, college kids dial 911 all the time. 🙄

A coach comes to Tennessee for the money.
There is very little to no fair shake in the coaching profession.
Few are stupid enough to think they will not fail.
Fewer still are those who think they can make the Vols a contender.
Tennessee coaches make bank. The idea that no coach will come is foolish.

TN was willing to pay really good this time and nobody took it. Just saying put up the money and they will come doesn’t work all the time. TN is living proof of that.

No. It is called observation of reality. Yeah... I know about the fancy words used by some to make morality malleable to what they want it to be. The problem... is that attempts to violate these natural laws have failed repeatedly throughout history.

Of course it is. In fact it is requisite for a democratic or representative republican government to survive. Which is NOT a good sign for ours.... we are seeing evidence that it is failing.

The assumption in democracy is that truth is better discerned by a majority than by even a very wise minority. However that does not preclude mistakes by the majority... or from a majority being created with indoctrination and propaganda.

No. It isn't. The founders fully recognized that Truth was transcendent and immutable. They wrote of it in our founding documents, in their debates, and in private letters. Most associated with the Christian God and Bible. All recognized it in the natural course of human history and government.

This is also the basis for rule of law vs rule of man. Rule of man NEVER results in justice, prosperity, or peace. Whether by the fiat of a dictator or 50% plus 1... rule of "man" where man determines "truth" as you argue results in oppression, abuse, and tyranny. I believe Jefferson termed true democracy as nothing more than mob rule.

We aren't perfect but to achieve a free, just, and peaceful society requires a pursuit of Truth.

That's false. If it was wrong... it is still wrong. If it was right... it is still right. The "crowd" can make it legal... acceptable... for a time. It is still wrong and will bear the fruit over time. This is the universal testimony of human history.

Offended isn't the word. Sad... maybe. Disappointed definitely. Our society at this point of development may very well not recognize absolutes until it is too late. But if you want to see an ever so slightly exaggerated version of where that will end... watch the movie Idiocracy.

Societies definitely change for good and ill. "Values" may be refined or perverted.

Marijuana hasn't always been illegal in the US. Oddly enough, it became illegal early on in the Progressive political movement (around 1900). So the same movement that made pot illegal... tells you that there are no moral absolutes. The objective was control and rule of man... then and now.

I see your subscription to the National Review is still active.....

I see your subscription to the National Review is still active.....
Never had one... but they were historically a pretty good group. Truth is truth... so if someone there has written something similar to this... good for them.

Until there's bullets or blood, calling the police for a "disturbance" in a dorm that doesn't involve someone you know is in trouble is a pu**y a** b**tch move that can..... and looks like it did...... lead to nothing good.

When I read this I imagine mugshots, menthol cigarettes', tattoos, and cheap alcohol soaked life regret.

Football players being arrested for pot by UGA PD and ACCPD has been a pretty regular occurrence over the years. Some fairly recent ones are Brenton Cox, Robert Beal, Natrez Patrick, Chauncey Rivers, Elijah Holyfield, Riley Ridley. At least 5 of those were busted by UGA campus police, mostly for smoking in the dormitory room I believe. Over the last 15 years I can also remember football players arrested for public intoxication (player fell asleep in a public bathroom), minor in possession of alcohol (walking down the sidewalk with a beer), popping firecrackers on campus on 4th of July, shooting solo cups with a BB gun in a dorm room, driving mopeds with an expired license (several times during the Richt era), etc.
Driving a moped with an expired license!?! That had to be the punter.

Reactions: VolNExile
Driving a moped with an expired license!?! That had to be the punter.

Apparently lots of UGA players used to ride a moped, and not with a great safety record. Mopeds, 4 wheelers and motorcycles have been a continuing source of problems for UGA football. Between arrests and accidents, it feels like there have been a dozen incidents in the last 20 years or so. Latest one (motorcycle accident) caused Richard LeCounte to miss the last half of his senior season in 2020.

Perhaps an international student or some kid who has been sheltered in some kinda religious school bubble but jeez...... high school shenanigans, even girl scout horseplay, just the basic American interaction among neighbors is: Stay out of it until you are dang sure someone is in danger or you're a straight up loser.

It's a stretch to assume that this incident happened to involve the 0.1% of the UT student population who doesn't understand how being young in America involves plenty of roughhousing..... and that rule #1 is always stay the hell outta other people's beefs.

Man, you seem pretty unfamiliar with the demographics of a modern college campus. At UTK specifically:
  • 4% of recent admissions are international (China, India, and Saudi Arabia are the top three source countries)
  • Another 3.5% or so were home-schooled
  • About 10% attended a private school
So perhaps as much as 17.5% of the student body are not as used to the "rough and tumble" of 'Murican school life as you think. That's one out of every six UTK students. One out of every six dorm residents. Which means, really good chance one of the students living next door or across the hall was from one of these "sheltered sources" you think are so rare.

Point is, again: don't assume the kids in Stokely dorm share your perspective. "Snitches get stitches" is perhaps not as common a by-law as you might be thinking. Heh.

So wait until you are sure someone's life is in danger before trying to stop it? Please never apply for a job in an environment where lives are in danger from risks that aren't mitigated as early as possible.

You also make a lot of unfounded assumptions about "some kinda religious school" and foreign students. You never know what they've experienced.... and they aren't usually among the snowflakes protesting for social justice. Many of them are plenty tough enough... but also honest and "tough enough" to report a problem when they see one.

So wait until you are sure someone's life is in danger before trying to stop it? Please never apply for a job in an environment where lives are in danger from risks that aren't mitigated as early as possible.

You also make a lot of unfounded assumptions about "some kinda religious school" and foreign students. You never know what they've experienced.... and they aren't usually among the snowflakes protesting for social justice. Many of them are plenty tough enough... but also honest and "tough enough" to report a problem when they see one.
Socially naive would be someone who calls the police when nothing happened. That is exactly my point.

Something happened. What? I don't know. But the fact the police AREN'T regularly called and arresting folks for weed possession in the dorm MAKES THE POINT.

As I said at the start, who calls the police to the dorm for nothing. This wasn't nothing.

Man, you seem pretty unfamiliar with the demographics of a modern college campus. At UTK specifically:
  • 4% of recent admissions are international (China, India, and Saudi Arabia are the top three source countries)
  • Another 3.5% or so were home-schooled
  • About 10% attended a private school
So perhaps as much as 17.5% of the student body are not as used to the "rough and tumble" of 'Murican school life as you think. That's one out of every six UTK students. One out of every six dorm residents. Which means, really good chance one of the students living next door or across the hall was from one of these "sheltered sources" you think are so rare.

Point is, again: don't assume the kids in Stokely dorm share your perspective. "Snitches get stitches" is perhaps not as common a by-law as you might be thinking. Heh.
My EXACT point for asking who called the police is to point out that the police would LIVE AT THE DORMS if they responded to every time someone misunderstood "American customs" or was socially inept.

They aren't. Students don't. Something happened.

The folks here insisting "it might just be a misunderstanding" are ignoring the reality that the police don't show up and start searching people when there's a "misunderstanding" and the folks involved say "nah, we were just messing around."

That didn't happen here. We can stop pretending this was a "misunderstanding."

Reactions: sona
My EXACT point for asking who called the police is to point out that the police would LIVE AT THE DORMS if they responded to every time someone misunderstood "American customs" or was socially inept.

They aren't. Students don't. Something happened.

The folks here insisting "it might just be a misunderstanding" are ignoring the reality that the police don't show up and start searching people when there's a "misunderstanding" and the folks involved say "nah, we were just messing around."

That didn't happen here. We can stop pretending this was a "misunderstanding."
That might be precisely what it was.

You don't know. I don't know. No one here knows.

A misunderstanding IS one of the realistic possibilities. As is something more sinister. You believe whatever you wish, but you're just guessing.

Socially naive would be someone who calls the police when nothing happened. That is exactly my point.

Something happened. What? I don't know. But the fact the police AREN'T regularly called and arresting folks for weed possession in the dorm MAKES THE POINT.

As I said at the start, who calls the police to the dorm for nothing. This wasn't nothing.
You’re saying overreaction calls are myths?

That might be precisely what it was.

You don't know. I don't know. No one here knows.

A misunderstanding IS one of the realistic possibilities. As is something more sinister. You believe whatever you wish, but you're just guessing.
A realistic possiblity that the parties involved explained it was a misunderstanding BUT the officers felt the need to search folks?

Give me a scenario that approaches "we were just messing around officer....." and leads to people getting searched. That's BS.

Just keep believing in unicorns.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
A realistic possiblity that the parties involved explained it was a misunderstanding BUT the officers felt the need to search folks?

Give me a scenario that approaches "we were just messing around officer....." and leads to people getting searched. That's BS.

Just keep believing in unicorns.
Standard procedure.

VN Store

Back