Georgia now officially investigating paying players

No matter the program. If you're a young college player whether you're an All American or one who is least likely to ever nail down a starting spot nothing will poison a program for you like finding out one or more of your teammates was getting money and you were not or were never even offered it as an option and had no clue it was going on at all.

No matter the program. If you're a young college player whether you're an All American or one who is least likely to ever nail down a starting spot nothing will poison a program for you like finding out one or more of your teammates was getting money and you were not or were never even offered it as an option and had no clue it was going on at all.
If players are getting paid, there's no way it isn't widespread knowledge among the team. I don't think a "We're the Millers" situation where nobody knows what anybody else is getting is common.

Reactions: Remy
Imagine if you were Chubb and publicly denying this, then they find evidence conclusively showing he was paid, lol.

Bama is probably just rolling their eyes. They know they are untouchable if this goes any further. One call to the SEC or NCAA front office and this gets squashed.

Imagine if you were Chubb and publicly denying this, then they find evidence conclusively showing he was paid, lol.

Bama is probably just rolling their eyes. They know they are untouchable if this goes any further. One call to the SEC or NCAA front office and this gets squashed.
I have a feeling that there are other teams in this conference that may regret UT opening an investigation. And if you can show solid evidence at a couple of schools that could support evidence at ANY SEC school. This is a reason I think that the UT violations with self reporting may be minimalized. There may be support from some of the offending teams in the SEC to put water on this fire, including those in the SEC office. The SEC and NCAA are not the only two avenues for opening this can of worms but also the skeptical media who love exposing wrong doers.

I have a feeling that there are other teams in this conference that may regret UT opening an investigation. And if you can show solid evidence at a couple of schools that could support evidence at ANY SEC school. This is a reason I think that the UT violations with self reporting may be minimalized. There may be support from some of the offending teams in the SEC to put water on this fire, including those in the SEC office. The SEC and NCAA are not the only two avenues for opening this can of worms but also the skeptical media who love exposing wrong doers.

If you think that the schools (any of them) have any interest in shutting this stuff down, you are kidding yourself. Tennessee isn't self-reporting out of sense of fair play. They saw a way out of buying out Pruitt, and they're banking on the sanctions being relatively manageable.

The UT investigation won't touch any other schools because no one has any desire to take a chainsaw to the money tree.

The SEC/NCAA better cover it up quick. The Big 10, Pac 12, ACC, and Big 12 will have investigators and lawyers all over this so they can smear the SEC.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
The SEC/NCAA better cover it up quick. The Big 10, Pac 12, ACC, and Big 12 will have investigators and lawyers all over this so they can smear the SEC.

This is either clever sarcasm or extreme delusion. I'm going to give you credit and will assume it's the former.

Reactions: Volatility
If you think that the schools (any of them) have any interest in shutting this stuff down, you are kidding yourself. Tennessee isn't self-reporting out of sense of fair play. They saw a way out of buying out Pruitt, and they're banking on the sanctions being relatively manageable.

The UT investigation won't touch any other schools because no one has any desire to take a chainsaw to the money tree.

This is why college football is barely even a sport anymore. It’s an investment and cheating game in today’s world. Any sense of fair play and sportsmanship is long gone.

It’s about the ones that can cheat the best and keep the money train rolling, everyone else is second fiddle and participating in a futile enterprise.

This is why college football is barely even a sport anymore. It’s an investment and cheating game in today’s world. Any sense of fair play and sportsmanship is long gone.

It’s about the ones that can cheat the best and keep the money train rolling, everyone else is second fiddle and participating in a futile enterprise.

And yet revenues have never been higher.

And yet revenues have never been higher.

And?

I still think this is barely a sport anymore. When it is the best cheaters and money makers that are getting crowned and the institution in charge doesn’t care, then fair play and sportsmanship are long gone. When rules don’t matter then it really isn’t a competition anymore.

You are partly right, but if you think Tennessee isn’t also reporting out of trying to do the right thing, then you don’t know UT. That’s been a big part of our problem for years. We have people at the University that don’t don’t care about athletics in the least in power positions that have made it damn near impossible to compete with other SEC teams due their desire for UT to be a top 25 public university. It was only a few years ago that we had the strictest requirement for math scores in the SEC. Athletes had an easier time getting admitted to Vanderbilt than UT.

Reactions: LoudOrange
This is either clever sarcasm or extreme delusion. I'm going to give you credit and will assume it's the former.
Yes and no. Joking about the cover up, but you have to think if the other power 5 conferences can shame the SEC and try to dethrone them, they would in a heartbeat.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
And?

I still think this is barely a sport anymore. When it is the best cheaters and money makers that are getting crowned and the institution in charge doesn’t care, then fair play and sportsmanship are long gone. When rules don’t matter then it really isn’t a competition anymore.

How many decades do we need to look back to find the point when this wasn't the case?

Yes and no. Joking about the cover up, but you have to think if the other power 5 conferences can shame the SEC and try to dethrone them, they would in a heartbeat.

That assumes that the other P5 conferences don't have their own dirty laundry. No one wants to go the route of mutually assured destruction.

Can you provide a list of the athletes that were declared academically ineligible at UT but still got accepted to Vandy?
No one wanted to go to Vandy. They did go to other schools. It was covered in depth in the local news, so feel free to actually research it.

How many decades do we need to look back to find the point when this wasn't the case?

I think it has really changed in the last 20ish years. So two decades. Prior BCS and playoff there was at least some care for rules. USC was really the last dominant team that the NCAA decides to enforce compliance. I can’t see that happening at all with OSU, Bama, UGA, Clemson. As you said and openly admit, the money tree is too big at this point. You know they are cheating, I know they are cheating, we all know everyone is cheating. The ones that are best at it and throw the most money at it are the ones that have the best teams.

That’s a business mascarading as a sport and some are big enough where regulation and monopolies are a side concern, at best.

Once the money train started nobody cared as long as the cash machine kept running. It’s a stretch to call it a sport at this point.

Last edited:
I think it has really changed in the last 20ish years. So two decades.

Oh. So the last time Tennessee was competing at a national level? I'm sure that's a coincidence.

That’s a business masquerading as a sport and some are big enough where regulation and monopolies are a side concern, at best.

Once the money train started nobody cared as long as the cash machine kept running. It’s a stretch to call it a sport at this point.

Unless you're talking about dudes getting together at the Y to play pick-up basketball or a game of two-hand touch, every single sport at every single level is a business and has been for the better part of a century, if not more.

Reactions: 05_never_again

VN Store

Back