Elliott on not taking UT job.

This tells me he can't build a program from the ground up, not willing to work hard, so this tells me he can't do the job, hope he loses whenever he takes a job, which he will, he is a loser, Josh might not get the job done but he got the onions to try, got to respect that eve n if you don't think he is the right person for the job.
He might not have the contacts to build a strong staff from scratch

Can't say I blame the guy. Even without sanctions, we've been giving HCs an average of 40 games before we fire them. With what were facing and our recent history I wouldn't touch this job if I was an up and coming coach.
Another perspective is that we've given several guys once-in-a-lifetime money to prove their worth, and they've failed.

I know it's a tough job. I get that. But, cream rises to the top. We haven't found it yet.

I think he's afraid of failing. A man that's offered several million dollars a year to teach a group of college kids...I'm sorry...collage grown men how to play a game of football that have been playing football in junior high and high school for 4-5 years already, ought to jump all over that if he has any salt.

Yes, if he didn't want it because it was too hard for him, then screw him for not just saying that instead of all the excuses.

I'm respecting CJH more and more every day.

Y'all take up for your chicken crap Millionaires and continue putting down the university. It's in bad shape but all it will take is the right guy.

Maybe we all should be thanking Elliott.
You might be right.

He's trying to find a "sure thing" and maybe he'll find it but what he will more than likely find is a rude awakening.

Very few hc step into a good situation. That is why the job opportunity is there. What school has hired a new hc, with the program in good shape?

Very few hc step into a good situation. That is why the job opportunity is there. What school has hired a new hc, with the program in good shape?

Based on comments in this thread, evidently Alabama did when they hired Saban.

Glad we didn’t hire this guy. Do we want a guy who is afraid of a challenge? I think not!

Good, self confident coaches are not afraid of a challenge. Look at Spurrier who took hc at SC, and what he did while there.

Good, self confident coaches are not afraid of a challenge. Look at Spurrier who took hc at SC, and what he did while there.

Spurrier had a gorilla sized ego with the brains and b-lls to back it up. Not many if any quite like him. Urban Meyer in his prime was probably the closest we'll see cut from that cloth for a while.

Reactions: cgrish
F that guy.
F that guy? Really??
I don’t blame him one bit. He has no ties to UT and loves his current situation. Why be in a hurry to take a gig that could very well set back his career? Remember that he played at Clemson. That’s his home.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
We’ve seen this before. Muschamp held out for a great opportunity and generally bombed at Florida. Surprisingly he got another shot. Now he’s probably out of chances. Elliott may turn out just like him. So far, Smart is the exception.
Smart has an easy recruiting base. Heck, Jawja should be the premier team in the conference. But he’s Richt 2.0 - good but not good enough.

Reactions: Wireless1
Tennessee is now recognized as Tennessee and coaches want no part of such a dysfunctional program, it is what it is, a program at the bottom of the SEC facing NCAA probation
ATTRACTIVE, not so much

He's not the only one who thinks this way about UT and I've said this. Heuple know that White is his guy and he's being paid more than he's ever seen. If he's fired he's still paid. UT is looked upon as a school that all levels of leadership are not on the same page from top to bottom. Coaches also see it as a place ppl are celebrating against a coach making sacrifices to get them back to prominent status. All coaches know it's going to take dirty tactics to win and recruit here and if the powers that be admin, boosters, AD aren't on board then why waste your time? I know this isn't popular to many but it's true. You simply can't be cheap and tell on yourself that just doesn't look good at all.

I definitely agree we need to be better at cheating. Playing dirty is the only way to compete in this thug arse conference. If y’all don’t like it, ACC’s ready when you are (which is what I wouldn’t mind - act like a real school instead of some semipro outfit like Bummer).

F that guy? Really??
I don’t blame him one bit. He has no ties to UT and loves his current situation. Why be in a hurry to take a gig that could very well set back his career? Remember that he played at Clemson. That’s his home.
Like I said, F that guy. But feel free to send him a Christmas card if that makes you feel better.

Reactions: OllVol and VolInNW
Smart has an easy recruiting base. Heck, Jawja should be the premier team in the conference. But he’s Richt 2.0 - good but not good enough.
Had UGA’s best season in 4 decades. Just because he lost to the Goat in OT of a natty doesn’t make him bad. Realistically the SEC is Saban’s until he decides to retire.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
It doesn’t matter if fans think it’s a fair or unfair assessment; the perception around college football is this: Tennessee is the place where coaching careers die.
Kiffin is currently a head coach. Dooley has had a successful career since being at UT. Jones is a head coach again. Pruitt has dug himself a hole.. But is currently coaching in the NFL.. Several assistant coaches are doing well... So I don't agree with your statement.

Reactions: cgrish
Can't say I blame the guy. Even without sanctions, we've been giving HCs an average of 40 games before we fire them. With what were facing and our recent history I wouldn't touch this job if I was an up and coming coach.
We've only fired one. The rest got really nice severance packages. I guess Coach Eliot doesn't like our brand of orange money. Regardless, he doesn't seem to have much confidence in his abilities. No ill will. Just glad he didn't take the job.

He said NEW HC
Saban although he failed in the NFL had won a Natty at LSU nothing about that is a NEW HC.

He did not say a "never been head coach". Maybe that is what he meant but was not was was said. Does UT have a new head coach?

At any rate, he did say what "new" coach walks into a program in good shape and there is a poster in this thread that said Saban walked into a good roster. That is what I was talking about and really meant it sarcastically. Sorry it was misunderstood.

Had UGA’s best season in 4 decades. Just because he lost to the Goat in OT of a natty doesn’t make him bad. Realistically the SEC is Saban’s until he decides to retire.
Why do you call it UGa's best season in 4 decades?

I assume you refer to the 2017 season: 13-2 (.867), 7-1 in conference, SEC Champs, won the Rose Bowl in round 1 of the CFP, lost round 2.

But just a decade and a half earlier, in 2002, under Richt, UGa went 13-1 (.928), 7-1 in conference, SEC Champs, won the Sugar Bowl.

Sure, the 2002 team didn't get to the CFP...but that's only because the CFP didn't exist then. If it had, they'd probably have been in it, with a chance to go 14-1 and a national title. That is potential the '17 squad can't claim, because they were tested and lost.

Objectively, the '02 team had a better win % (.928 compared to .867). In all other comparable ways, they were equal: 7-1 in conference, conference champs, and won a major bowl (Sugar vs Rose). Sure, the '17 team ended the season #2 while '02 ended #3, but the '02 team could have ended the year #1 if the CFP had existed back then. So they actually had more potential.

All in all, I'd call the '02 squad the better result. But, it's your team, and folks don't like hearing that the guy they fired might be as good as or better than the guy they hired. So you do you, dawg.

Still, Richt 2.0 might be right.

Last edited:
Saban can be beat. Just ask Freeze and Dabo. The reason Smart will never beat him is because he’s a Nicky clone. Saban never loses to his sons.

VN Store

Back