Elliott on not taking UT job.

Why does it matter behr? I like the hire of JH. The idea of hiring Tony Elliott who has never been a HC was a headscratcher.
It doesn't Pepper. I responded to your comment that our football program was a joke. Then you give the same speech I've seen a million times "I support The Vols"....right after you tell me the program is a fkn joke.

I just try to figure out what errbody means. That's all.

It doesn't Pepper. I responded to your comment that our football program was a joke. Then you give the same speech I've seen a million times "I support The Vols"....right after you tell me the program is a fkn joke.

I just try to figure out what errbody means. That's all.

OK
Go Vols!

Reactions: Behr
We maybe looking for another coach in a couple years, but I bet we're more entertained until then than we have been in a while.
I don't know. Dooley had some entertaining schtick. Throw in pantone 151, the hair, and an orange dog, and I still can't figure out how it did not work. But if you mean making big plays and scoring points, I think you're correct.

We maybe looking for another coach in a couple years, but I bet we're more entertained until then than we have been in a while.

It is gonna be nice watching an offense not from the stone age of the 90s and some decent QB play.

I dont know whether Heupel works out or not but I am confident in those two things at least.

Reactions: PA Vol and Behr
I don't know. Dooley had some entertaining schtick. Throw in pantone 151, the hair, and an orange dog, and I still can't figure out how it did not work. But if you mean making big plays and scoring points, I think you're correct.

I'll never understand Pruitts thinking in watching those Cheney offenses under Dooley and then saying "yeah..let's neuter that and stick Cheney with a horrible QB and see how it works out" .

Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley
Some fans don’t want to admit it but Tennessee isn’t a attractive job right now and hasn’t been in a long time it’s a dead end job and a graveyard for coaches. I would argue that right now Kentucky and South Carolina are more attractive jobs than Tennessee.
200 (6).gif

Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley
So, what he really said in the article, if it is indeed an accurate quote from him, is that he is not man enough for the Tennessee job cause it would take some work to build. And he is not a "builder", but a profit off anothers hard work and building and inherit kinda guy.

Glad he turned it down !!!!!

to me it sounded more like the fanbase. When reports started coming out about him, a lot of fans didn't like the idea of hiring Elliot because he had never been a head coach before. I don't think it was the administration at all.
It was my understanding that’s what the administration was selling the fanbase...we are going after a sitting head coach. When reports started to emerge that it may be another coordinator, the fanbase became understandably deflated. Another round of big promises with no follow through. I don’t think fans had anything against Eliot’s coaching acumen. It was his lack of head coaching experience.

A position as HC with a team that is loaded with talent isn't going to be available at least not very often. No HC, or very few, will leave that for a dumpster fire.

If Heupel doesn’t work out then so be it.

However, I wasn’t willing to take a chance on another coordinator.

Elliot has benefited working for one of the best coaches in college football. Doesn’t mean he’s ready to take on an SEC job with the NCAA cloud hanging over our heads.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
So you don't wanna prove you can do it anywhere else from basically scratch...ok got ya...proven coach there
That was an easy read between the lines answer.

“Because of the success at Clemson, people are going to expect me to succeed. I don’t want a challenge, I want a turn key ready operation”

Well, go **** yourself!

Reactions: volz2wallz
It was my understanding that’s what the administration was selling the fanbase...we are going after a sitting head coach. When reports started to emerge that it may be another coordinator, the fanbase became understandably deflated. Another round of big promises with no follow through. I don’t think fans had anything against Eliot’s coaching acumen. It was his lack of head coaching experience.
The Administration was famously saying absolutely nothing.

The only place we were getting any info at all was from the very few inside sources who were talking. Like the friend of @Stoerner Fumbles .

But not from the Administration. Donde Plowman and Danny White had them locked down, pretty much.

This tells me he can't build a program from the ground up, not willing to work hard, so this tells me he can't do the job, hope he loses whenever he takes a job, which he will, he is a loser, Josh might not get the job done but he got the onions to try, got to respect that eve n if you don't think he is the right person for the job.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
It doesn’t matter if fans think it’s a fair or unfair assessment; the perception around college football is this: Tennessee is the place where coaching careers die.
So you have the finger on the pulse of college football? Gimme’ a break...

He didn’t believe he could win here so we don’t want him, even if we wanted him. Doesn’t believe in himself enough in my opinion
I went back and reread his comments. His statements, whether he meant to or not, lend exactly to your conclusion. Maybe he was being subconsciously honest about it. And I agree with him as far as this being the job for him. It’s going to take a fighter to get us where this program should be. No doubting, learning on the job, or being tentative with actions. AND ABOVE ALL ELSE ....KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!

Very few coaches get handed a road-ready program for their first job.

Maybe Tony will hold out for for Bama, Clemson or Ohio State to come and hire him. Maybe Georgia or Florida would be okay for him too at this point.

It makes me glad that we hired JH instead.

Good luck to him anyway.

This tells me he can't build a program from the ground up, not willing to work hard, so this tells me he can't do the job, hope he loses whenever he takes a job, which he will, he is a loser, Josh might not get the job done but he got the onions to try, got to respect that eve n if you don't think he is the right person for the job.
Did you ever consider that Tony might be happy where he is at?

The Administration was famously saying absolutely nothing.

The only place we were getting any info at all was from the very few inside sources who were talking. Like the friend of @Stoerner Fumbles .

But not from the Administration. Donde Plowman and Danny White had them locked down, pretty much.
I stand corrected on source. Nonetheless the fan reaction devolved from the rumors that a sitting head coach hire was in the offing. The effect was negative message board reaction. It may have been tough on Eliot at first but fans always seem to fall in line and support a hire at least for the first season. We are getting more affable by the year.
Bottom line is no one likes feeling jilted and they like reading about the reason for the jilting even less. Eliot should have declined to do that interview and keep that kind of stuff in house.

VN Store

Back