Elliott on not taking UT job.

He's not wrong and he's not the guy for the job. The last thing we need is another experiment with an coordinator from another team being promoted to coach on our dime. We needed somebody who has head coaching experience. I'm not saying JH is "the guy". But he's our best shot since Kiffin.
. It might be time to start thinking is any coach the right guy for this job?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cormock Mac
No, he sounds calculated and intelligent. For every Kirby Smart there are a dozen Chad Morris type guys. They're a hot commodity until they take the wrong job. Then 5 years later they're right back where they were if not worse.

UT is not a place you go to take a step forward in your career. It's where you go before you end up coaching TEs with the Giants, a defensive QC assistant with the Giants or at Arkansas St (after a long rehab with the greatest coach in history).

And UT is likely in a worse spot than at any time in modern history. I'm surprised we didn't have to pull someone up from FCS.
Some fans don’t want to admit it but Tennessee isn’t a attractive job right now and hasn’t been in a long time it’s a dead end job and a graveyard for coaches. I would argue that right now Kentucky and South Carolina are more attractive jobs than Tennessee.

Some fans don’t want to admit it but Tennessee isn’t a attractive job right now and hasn’t been in a long time it’s a dead end job and a graveyard for coaches. I would argue that right now that Kentucky and South Carolina are more attractive jobs than Tennessee.
Go root for another team then dumbarse

1h9fui.jpg

Fear of failure is real. He would have been in over his head. No HC experience. 90% chance he would be fired by year 4. I’ve never helped coached more than peewee baseball ball. With a $50,000,000 budget, why is it so hard? With the right staff, some luck in the field, the Vols can win in 21. Get creative on offense. Gamble some on defense. I like our chance with the current staff.

At least we are still lucky. When you don’t get what you want and it works out better.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
It doesn’t matter if fans think it’s a fair or unfair assessment; the perception around college football is this: Tennessee is the place where coaching careers die.

Reactions: Raebo
We’ve seen this before. Muschamp held out for a great opportunity and generally bombed at Florida. Surprisingly he got another shot. Now he’s probably out of chances. Elliott may turn out just like him. So far, Smart is the exception.

Some fans don’t want to admit it but Tennessee isn’t a attractive job right now and hasn’t been in a long time it’s a dead end job and a graveyard for coaches. I would argue that right now Kentucky and South Carolina are more attractive jobs than Tennessee.
You're about right but most will not be honest about it

Tennessee did not need to hire another coordinator to learn on the job.

All day long, this. I don’t know if Heupel is the one to bring us back. I don’t know if anyone is the one to bring us back. I sure hope it’s Heupel.

What I am sure of is that we didn’t need to give another coordinator his first HC gig.

Can't say I blame the guy. Even without sanctions, we've been giving HCs an average of 40 games before we fire them. With what were facing and our recent history I wouldn't touch this job if I was an up and coming coach.

He's not the only one who thinks this way about UT and I've said this. Heuple know that White is his guy and he's being paid more than he's ever seen. If he's fired he's still paid. UT is looked upon as a school that all levels of leadership are not on the same page from top to bottom. Coaches also see it as a place ppl are celebrating against a coach making sacrifices to get them back to prominent status. All coaches know it's going to take dirty tactics to win and recruit here and if the powers that be admin, boosters, AD aren't on board then why waste your time? I know this isn't popular to many but it's true. You simply can't be cheap and tell on yourself that just doesn't look good at all.

I like the fact that we didn’t hire a coordinator from some place like Clemson or Alabama. Having elite players at every position can make you look like a better coach than you really are. Just look at Jeremy Pruitts defenses while he was a Tennessee for proof. Maybe Huepel can scheme us some upsets, and get some momentum going in recruiting.

VN Store

Back