Tennessee's QB situation under Heupel

I am liking Bailey a lot in this offense. He makes quick decisions and is pinpoint when he has time.
This O isn't based on the QB having time. Just the opposite. They want great pre-snap reads and adjustments followed by good, quick decisions post-snap. I think Bailey is a bright kids who did some good things last fall at times. I don't think we have ANY video of Maurer, Bailey, or Salter showing how they might fail or succeed in this type of O.

Hooker ran something similar enough at VT that we can somewhat evaluate him. He would be a good option and should start with a lead in the competition.

I thought his leash was too short at the end of the season.
As were Maurer and Shrout before and after him.

So if we can run an up tempo offense that challenges defense across the field and vertically, I think an accurate passer with a good group of receivers is a killer. Don't have to worry about the offensive line pass protecting for too long, I really like this offense and think it is going to work in the SEC and Neyland is going to be a party again!
Agree. May the best man win.

Those four QBs won’t all be there in the Fall.
I would wager against that.

IMHO even as a "fan" of Salter as a recruit... he will be #4 and will probably need a RS to seriously compete. If he is the best option then the others are just really, really awful. I don't think they are.

I think all three of the others will have a legit shot at the job on August 1.

Dont know, but I think at least one is gone once they see the pecking order coming out of Spring.
I think it may depend a lot on that pecking order.

If Bailey isn't #1 or #2, I could see him going.

Maurer isn't going anywhere, his chances are best here no matter what order things are in. Hooker just got here; he's not going anywhere. And Salter, esp. if the intent is to red shirt him, won't go anywhere because his future isn't even being discussed yet.

So yeah, only Bailey, I think, and only if he's not #1 or #2.

You see it significantly different than that?

Here's what fans need to understand about this offense and which QB will start:

Take each QB's height, body mass, bench press numbers, subtract his time in the 40, measure his arm strength, grade him on touch passes, score him 1-10 on extending time in the pocket...

...and then tell me which one can play 4 games of checkers simultaneously with only 2.5 seconds to consider each move and win 3 of them. 'Cause that's the guy who's gonna start.

If the weakest arm can make the correct reads the fastest, he will start and he will produce.

I think it may depend a lot on that pecking order.

If Bailey isn't #1 or #2, I could see him going.

Maurer isn't going anywhere, his chances are best here no matter what order things are in. Hooker just got here; he's not going anywhere. And Salter, esp. if the intent is to red shirt him, won't go anywhere because his future isn't even being discussed yet.

So yeah, only Bailey, I think, and only if he's not #1 or #2.

You see it significantly different than that?
I don’t see it that way with Mauer. I want the best for him and I think he has the best arm talent of any of them. But, for whatever reason he’s had horrible luck with some potentially career ending injuries. I could definitely could see him seeking a fresh start if he’s down the chart.

There's no reason to conclude that the QB who best runs the offense at the end of April will be the one who runs it best in August. So sit back and enjoy the process.

I don't think that's the issue most will have with your post.Most are ready to move on and let JG do the same.No need to keep dragging what seemed to be a good kid through the mud.
i agree with you that these so called Vol Fans can't get attention except to drag a kid still in college through the mud. Be be careful what goes around comes around

If you're the #3 or #4 QB coming out of Spring, you've got a lot of ground to make up. Being at the bottom means that they have an issue reading the defense and reacting quickly to the changes presented. Accuracy will play a part, but not making the right reads will land you at the bottom of the list. Not saying hard work throughout the Summer in preparation for fall camp can't over come a lot and get them closer to the #1 spot. This system has been ran by True Freshmen in Gabriel and Milton and they both succeeded. So, that's a plus for Salter as well as any of the QB's in the room.

There's no reason to conclude that the QB who best runs the offense at the end of April will be the one who runs it best in August. So sit back and enjoy the process.
Since they’re all on campus and available? It’s a helluva head start.

Reactions: jarnol32
I am liking Bailey a lot in this offense. He makes quick decisions and is pinpoint when he has time. I thought his leash was too short at the end of the season. So if we can run an up tempo offense that challenges defense across the field and vertically, I think an accurate passer with a good group of receivers is a killer. Don't have to worry about the offensive line pass protecting for too long, I really like this offense and think it is going to work in the SEC and Neyland is going to be a party again!
I agree...when Bailey gets the ball out quick, he seems more accurate...which seems to be the goal of JH offense. Regardless of how we did LY, it was refreshing to at least see a QB (Bailey) accurately place screens right in the hands of the RB, as opposed to airmailing it. Bailey may not be a dual threat guy, but think he's got the mental ability, accuracy and quick release which will win him the job.

Reactions: Volarious
I don’t see it that way with Mauer. I want the best for him and I think he has the best arm talent of any of them. But, for whatever reason he’s had horrible luck with some potentially career ending injuries. I could definitely could see him seeking a fresh start if he’s down the chart.
His injury was mismanaged by Pruitt and therefore lingered. That along with being on a short leash when he did get his opportunity to redeem himself lead to the “injury prone” “turnover prone” opinion that a lot of people have about him. But truth is, he was only injured once and only two of around 65 passes in 2019 were forced.

I personally wouldn’t bet on him being down the chart. Heupel and Co. did their homework on Maurer in HS ( same offense he runs) and pushed extremely hard for him for a reason. I don’t see him being deeper than #2 if I had to place an early bet.

Reactions: jarnol32 and DSP
His injury was mismanaged by Pruitt and therefore lingered. That along with being on a short leash when he did get his opportunity to redeem himself lead to the “injury prone” “turnover prone” opinion that a lot of people have about him. But truth is, he was only injured once and only two of around 65 passes in 2019 were forced.

I personally wouldn’t bet on him being down the chart. Heupel and Co. did their homework on Maurer in HS ( same offense he runs) and pushed extremely hard for him for a reason. I don’t see him being deeper than #2 if I had to place an early bet.
He had multiple concussions so that’s not true. On one he landed on his head in a way that could have resulted in major neck trauma.

He had multiple concussions so that’s not true. On one he landed on his head in a way that could have resulted in major neck trauma.
He did NOT have “multiple” concussions. He had ONE (minor) and came back too soon to only make it worse. That’s what I’m telling you. It’s one injury that was labeled as a second concussion from a podium before he was ever evaluated. The belief that it was multiple concussions exist only because Pruitt spoke too soon and gave an premature opinion post game (Alabama).

He did NOT have “multiple” concussions. He had ONE (minor) and came back too soon to only make it worse. That’s what I’m telling you. It’s one injury that was labeled as a second concussion from a podium before he was ever evaluated. The belief that it was multiple concussions exist only because Pruitt spoke too soon and gave an premature opinion post game (Alabama).
How did he make it worse? where Are you getting your info?

How did he make it worse? where Are you getting your info?
His minor concussion was the play you referred to. He landed on his head vs MSU. The next week he shouldn’t have played if that were true vs Alabama but did. I knew, you knew, everyone in the stadium knew that at some point he would take another shot to the head during that game. Right? I mean it’s football. It’s bound to happen. So if he was concussed just the week before (even if minor), should he have played vs the #1 team in the country Or was he ever concussed to begin with? He either wasn’t concussed prior to Alabama or he was and Pruitt discarded it going into the Alabama game. Either way, it was ONE concussion.

You know... it is becoming harder and harder for me not to pull for Maurer simply because of the way these media jackasses dismiss him.... I just want UT to have good QB play but they make me want it to be BM.
Me too, but more than anything, I just want the best guy out there.

I don't know if Heupel will work out, but I do have faith in him getting the right qb in there and scoring some damn points.

Reactions: sjt18 and VAVol85
Wow. That sounds tailor made for JG.
Think he might transfer back from WSU?
Blue font
Blue font
Blue font
(For those that don’t know...Blue font means sarcasm...eg...this is not a serious post...it is a joke...I, in no way, want JG to ever play or even be around our Quarterback room.)
Yep. Dissing JG.......still. Lol Must be convenient to blame bad football all on one kid. Seriously pathetic.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat

VN Store

Back