How did Jennifer Azzi get away from Pat ?

Probably would have won 2-3 more national titles had she not gone to Stanford

Well, Tennessee won two titles while Azzi was in college, so three more would have been quite a feat.

To answer your question, there wasn't a lot of interest on either side. Tonya Edwards was Pat's primary target...

Well she is the San Francisco girls bb coach, too bad she didn't play at Tn she might be a coach at an SEC school like several former LVs.

Stanford degree not paying off

Azzi stepped down as the San Francisco head coach in 2016 and is now the university’s associate vice president of development.

Seems like that Stanford economics degree is doing its thing.

I understand the “what ifs,” but you can’t knock a really smart kid from Tennessee for choosing to go to Stanford... especially when it happened 35 years ago.

Azzi stepped down as the San Francisco head coach in 2016 and is now the university’s associate vice president of development.

I understand the “what ifs,” but you can’t knock a really smart kid from Tennessee for choosing to go to Stanford... especially when it happened 35 years ago.
I doubt that pays what a woman's bb coach in the sec makes

I don't understand the issue. So you contend she screwed up by going to Stanford instead of Tennessee? Why is this an issue for you?

I doubt that pays what a woman's bb coach in the sec makes

Who cares? She’s still making six figures, gets to stay involved in basketball on her terms, and doesn’t have to get trashed every year by keyboard coaches when she isn’t living up to their standard.

Jennifer Azzi is living her best life.

Azzi won the title in '90, Stanford beating AU at TBA. Going to the Bay area probably had something to do with her sexual orientation--- "In March 31, 2016, Azzi publicly came out as gay, announcing her marriage to USF assistant Blair Hardiek..... About coming out, Azzi said, "I, too, lived a long time not being 100 percent honest. Kind of the don't-ask-don't-tell kinda of thing. And it's so stupid. I don't know why we do that, but we do that. I'm a college coach. Is it going to hurt me with recruiting? What are people going to think? And you are constantly worrying about those things....."

Last edited:
Well she is the San Francisco girls bb coach, too bad she didn't play at Tn she might be a coach at an SEC school like several former LVs.

Stanford degree not paying off
Stop it! All too frequently we set the prescribed path for the person we think would check this box and that one....

I say let the kid decide where they want to go to school and what they want to do in life....

So is the difference real or imagined? I mean if you ace every exam, and carry a perfect grade at UT, are Valedictorian; That isn't enough? Tiger Woods Graduated from Stanford, and doesn't even know how to eat a Banana.

So is the difference real or imagined? I mean if you ace every exam, and carry a perfect grade at UT, are Valedictorian; That isn't enough? Tiger Woods Graduated from Stanford, and doesn't even know how to eat a Banana.

Are you saying there isn't a difference in the level of education you receive at Stanford versus that you'd receive at Tennessee? Really?

And I think we all know that being book smart doesn't always equate to having common sense -- so plenty of really smart people graduate from top institutions all the time who are lucky they don't get hit by a bus every time they cross the street. And we also know that the smartest people don't always graduate from the top institutions.

I'm sure she did her due diligence during the college process and decided that Stanford was the best fit for her AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. When I was doing my college search, there were plenty of great schools close to where I lived, but I wasn't looking at anything within a two state radius -- I needed to get away. I will be the first one to tell any of my students not to get hung up on the name brand of a university and to choose the one that fits you best (I did my undergrad at a place hardly anyone has heard of), but that doesn't always mean it's the best education.

Pat and Tara were/are both great coaches -- and no player could make a bad decision by choosing either one. But being a student athlete at Stanford comes with a completely different experience than being a student athlete at Tennessee and your degrees will hold different weight in the professional world (especially right out of college), so we just have to hope that every kid is making the best decision themselves (personally, professionally, and athletically) and be thankful for and support the players that choose the programs we love.

Let's not confuse the education of the late 80's Tennessee to Stanford. Hindsight on the court is one thing, the level of education between the two during that time is not up for debate. Looking at the roster by the Lady Vols looks as it they had a few guards already in that class too, McCray, Ceil and Gordon.

Are you saying there isn't a difference in the level of education you receive at Stanford versus that you'd receive at Tennessee? Really?

And I think we all know that being book smart doesn't always equate to having common sense -- so plenty of really smart people graduate from top institutions all the time who are lucky they don't get hit by a bus every time they cross the street. And we also know that the smartest people don't always graduate from the top institutions.

I'm sure she did her due diligence during the college process and decided that Stanford was the best fit for her AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. When I was doing my college search, there were plenty of great schools close to where I lived, but I wasn't looking at anything within a two state radius -- I needed to get away. I will be the first one to tell any of my students not to get hung up on the name brand of a university and to choose the one that fits you best (I did my undergrad at a place hardly anyone has heard of), but that doesn't always mean it's the best education.

Pat and Tara were/are both great coaches -- and no player could make a bad decision by choosing either one. But being a student athlete at Stanford comes with a completely different experience than being a student athlete at Tennessee and your degrees will hold different weight in the professional world (especially right out of college), so we just have to hope that every kid is making the best decision themselves (personally, professionally, and athletically) and be thankful for and support the players that choose the programs we love.

In Her chosen field, I don't see much difference. In some areas; I can see it. That said , I DO know how to down peel a banana.

In Her chosen field, I don't see much difference. In some areas; I can see it. That said , I DO know how to down peel a banana.

The Ivy's and Stanford is more about branding, just like Tenn and the SEC branding in football. At those schools, the quality of students is on average higher, but there are still quality students at UT, just not as many. Professionally, a Stanford degree will get you in the door nationally, whereas a UT degree is more recognized locally in the South, all things equal.

The Ivy's and Stanford is more about branding, just like Tenn and the SEC branding in football. At those schools, the quality of students is on average higher, but there are still quality students at UT, just not as many. Professionally, a Stanford degree will get you in the door nationally, whereas a UT degree is more recognized locally in the South, all things equal.
That is accurate. My daughter talked with 2 Ivy schools in September (one spent a summer following her and her CA team summer 2019) on the first day of recruiting, no offers just casual academic talk and expectations JR year in the classroom and would get serious Senior year at the latest.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back