How important is Tennessee football in your life ?

After say any spiritual beliefs, family & work, where does Tn football rank ?
Borderline nonexistant. I haven’t watched a full game in years, and i’m kindof embarassed that spectator sports fandom was such a central part of my identity for so long. This place is still entertaining as hell during coaching searches though.

Way too important. I can’t give up. My son is 22 and has not had the pleasure of experiencing dominant UT football. I don’t have any excuses for him anymore. Even when Start to think think we have a legitimate basketball perennial powerhouse that changed this year as well. As I’ve read in here before I definitely have battered Vols syndrome.

The university has a lot of fence mending to do with their fan base, they have bled the boosters and supporters year in and year out, putting inexperienced head coaches in over compensated roles and then sitting back and telling everybody how the program is back, headed in the right direction, just a few plays away from playing in a big bowl game. Covid exposed all of the failures in the Tennessee football and the athletic department as a whole, an historic embarrassment of incredible proportions and no indication Randy or Blonde Donde can fix it, they were asleep at the switch while Fulmer and Pruitt looted the program and essentially destroyed what little tradition was left.

I suspect Randy has personally paid all these ridiculous buyouts, including Fulmer's second million dollar parting gift, a generous gesture on his part, but until the university makes an effort to financially incentivize the fan base to come back to the stadium, don't expect much more than a half house to watch the Big Orange this fall.

Most fans have moved on, it's not that important anymore, the fun is gone, the expenses are too great, there are way too many other things to do on a Saturday afternoon now.

Last edited:
Not as important as it once was.

Haven't really been committee to college football in its entirety for almost 9 years.

I try to watch Tennessee football most the time. If i miss a game it's not a big deal.

It's becoming less and less important. I still bleeds orange and buy way more gear then I'll ever need, but as I've gotten older, I've stopped prioritizing things that bring negativing to my life. I'll still watch most weekends, but when when they are getting blown out by Ky, it's easier to bail and do things I enjoy.

I used to mark every Saturday as booked for TN football, don’t schedule anything on saturdays bc the vols play. This past season for the first time in my entire life (I’m 27) after the UGA game I didn’t watch another game. Never thought I’d reach that point

Many would still say too important. Since the 26-26 tie to Auburn I’ve learned to hide my disappointment.

Managing my disappointment with the Vols has really help with managing disappointments in other aspects of my personal life and work life.

I still like it but not as invested anymore. I also don't get upset when they lose because it is expected. I haven't lived in Tennessee in almost 25 years anyway and there are not a lot of Vol fans here I can talk to. On occasion I will see someone in a store wearing orange and tell them "Go Vols!" but that's about it.

My daughter attends FSU and they are about in the same shape as UT. Some weekends I will wear FSU stuff, some weekends UT stuff. Other weekends I'll just wear an old concert shirt. By no means am I an FSU fan but I try to stay interested since she goes to school there and it's basically a free ride scholarship for her so I am appreciative.

My wife is also a UT grad but has moved on. When it is game day the only ones watching a game is me and the cat and she sleeps thru most of it.

Its importance has waned significantly over the years. It hovers around flossing my teeth twice a day.

Reactions: Tnwoodsman
When it comes to college sports no team or school is as important to me than Tennessee. I've been a Vol fan for 60 years and have seen and heard many a great game in that time. Like many Vol fans I've suffered through this last 12 to 15 years of disaster and failure except for a season here and there when we actually won more than we lost. I love my Vols and always will no matter what happens. Is this program and team important to me? Very Important!!!

It's pretty damn important for me. My wife's "drive" on Saturday night is dependent on what happens with the VOLS. So hell yes it's pretty damn important, to me. 😂
Dang man... vols better hurry up or you will miss your window to reproduce.

After say any spiritual beliefs, family & work, where does Tn football rank ?
Sir, you assume too much! Tennessee football comes before work for many here, just look at how many hours we spend at our desks reading and posting on these boards when we're supposed to be scrubbing those financial reports. Certainly it comes before family, how often do some say that we "refuse to attend any wedding scheduled for a Saturday in the fall, the bride and groom should have known better, dammit I don't care if she's my only daughter, I'm not going!"

As for spiritual beliefs, just exactly what do you think Volunteer football is? Huh?!?

:)

Last edited:
These days......I look for other things to do during game days. I used to get fired up and fuss when watching it on TV and at the games. I used to have my office decorated in orange everywhere.....Even a checker board rug. I used to have always wear something with UT on it when traveling on the road for business and pleasure. But during the last 20 years of my 64 living years.....I'm rarely seen in my supporting colors unless I am at the game (whihc has become really rare. Generally today, I'm out hiking some mountain trail and it honestly gives me a lot better satisfaction. Maybe one day soon, our program will turn around.

VN Store

Back