Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pruitt in NY ...
tenor.gif

Why would you go and insult the Clampetts like that.
Is there a show called the NY Trailer Trash Bubbas?

-AP on podcast

He ain’t holding back today! Hubbs and AP also throwing shade at Pruitt on the podcast lol

Hubbs and crew should be doing this while it’s happening and not after the fact. That’s why I don’t subscribe to them anymore. Tell us the truth while it’s happening and stop writing fluff pieces.

During the season Basilio said the coaches were the most dysfunctional crew he’s seen together since the 90s. “But Basilio DONT know nothin!”

Had some buddies in high school who wrestled. They tried so hard to get me on the team. I told them nah to leotards and cauliflower ear... I’ll stick with baseball.
When I moved to wv from TN in mid 90s, rasslin was life up here, still is. I had no idea what it was, and when they asked me to wrestle, he’ll, I thought it was like wwf!! Lol
I wrestled one year in 9th grade, got my ass handed to me by kids that had wrestled since they were like 4 yo. Stuck with baseball like you!

You are a fortunate individual but if you ever need a Physician for any thing be sure and get a 5* RB that runs a 4.5 forty who's only goal is the NFL . Let that be the main qualification to do your medical procedure and be sure to let us know how that works out.

Broad stroke assuming all Physicians are high IQ people and all 5 star athletes only goal is the NFL.

I was simply pointing out that for a university it's actually cheaper to invest in the athletes because the % of those that make the NFL is so much lower than the % of incoming freshmen with 1400+ SAT scores. The athletes earn the school money hand over fist, those high IQ/high SAT students don't.

Fwiw I have no inside contacts.
However I do business with a Knoxville local and I’ve heard the McDonald’s bag money was given through the drive through at a local McDonald’s by random McDonald’s employees.
When I originally heard the McDonald’s bag story I figured the staff was using the bags or something. But to have this amount of cash at a local McDonald’s and trusting those employees to pass it out and stay silent about it is insanely reckless

My guess is this whole “McDonald’s bag” thing is a made up rumor that got legs for the absurdity. Of course we were paying, but really? In a McD’s bag?

My guess is this whole “McDonald’s bag” thing is a made up rumor that got legs for the absurdity. Of course we were paying, but really? In a McD’s bag?

104.5 reported that Dan Patrick pushed the McDonald's bag story off of only one source and many believe it's untrue or greatly exaggerated. That said, this is now a case where something becomes truth if its repeated enough.

104.5 reported that Dan Patrick pushed the McDonald's bag story off of only one source and many believe it's untrue or greatly exaggerated. That said, this is now a case where something becomes truth if its repeated enough.

Yeah, lost what little respect I had for Dan over that BS. I knew he was a "shock jock" but good lord man...

The worst part he doesn't get any backlash and we get tarnished with something that's not going away anytime soon probably.

Believe half of what you hear in the media and throw the other half in the garbage.

To address the really smart vs really athletic argument:

When I was a resident and then teaching faculty for my residency program, I was heavily involved in deciding which residency candidates to offer a spot in our program. (The residency match program is like the draft, but both the teams and players get to rank who they want with top picks equaling the Match.)

I was on the smart enough, really hard worker team. As a top 10 US med school, we had a great candidate pool. What they had when I arrived was two different types of residents. 1. Extremely smart, but had difficulty applying medical knowledge to actual patients and my group of smart and able to apply med knowledge to patients/hard workers. The faculty was lamenting how much harder their clinic/hospital work was when they had only the residents from the first group on their rotation.
I had to educate my faculty that they were basing their choices off of academic/paper accomplishments only. The overall best residents/doctors had interests/life outside of medicine too. Our residency program director took that to heart, one of her lead questions became: Do you play football, if so what position? (We had a flag football team) She was originally from Pakistan and knew nothing about football. She came to me and said that this one candidate played football at UCLA...his position was white receiver! She said that it made more sense when I suggested wide receiver. I then had my interview with the residency candidate; great person and still a good friend. We have both laughed about that for years...the “white” receiver is African American.
He and I attended the UCLA-Tennessee game (in the 90s). We had a great time in Knoxville except for the actual game. The score kept going back and forth with Tennessee winning with their last possession. It was awful because neither of us enjoyed the game at the same time...

That was a long and rambling way to say that I would pick a bit of both in the brains vs athletic discussion. They are out there.

Really surprised that more didn't know what that is.
i just remember seeing a Kimbo Slice fight James Thompson where he punched a dude in his cauliflower ear and busted it. He backed up and looked at it like "Ew that's gross" then proceeded to punch it some more. Link below but don't watch if you have a weak stomach.

For the doctors and golf fans in here.

“Dr. Anish Mahajan, chief medical officer and interim CEO of Harbor-UCLA Medical Center said Woods is recovering from a long surgical procedure to repair "significant orthopedic injuries to his right lower extremity

Comminuted open fractures affecting both the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula bones were stabilized by inserting a rod into the tibia," said Mahajan. "Additional injuries to the bones of the foot and ankle were stabilized with a combination of screws and pins.

Trauma to the muscle and soft-tissue of the leg required surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling,"

With that being said..I know the recovery is long but will we ever see him again? Will his golf game not be the same for the rest of his life?

Last edited:
Reactions: ugg
To address the really smart vs really athletic argument:

When I was a resident and then teaching faculty for my residency program, I was heavily involved in deciding which residency candidates to offer a spot in our program. (The residency match program is like the draft, but both the teams and players get to rank who they want with top picks equaling the Match.)

I was on the smart enough, really hard worker team. As a top 10 US med school, we had a great candidate pool. What they had when I arrived was two different types of residents. 1. Extremely smart, but had difficulty applying medical knowledge to actual patients and my group of smart and able to apply med knowledge to patients/hard workers. The faculty was lamenting how much harder their clinic/hospital work was when they had only the residents from the first group on their rotation.
I had to educate my faculty that they were basing their choices off of academic/paper accomplishments only. The overall best residents/doctors had interests/life outside of medicine too. Our residency program director took that to heart, one of her lead questions became: Do you play football, if so what position? (We had a flag football team) She was originally from Pakistan and knew nothing about football. She came to me and said that this one candidate played football at UCLA...his position was white receiver! She said that it made more sense when I suggested wide receiver. I then had my interview with the residency candidate; great person and still a good friend. We have both laughed about that for years...the “white” receiver is African American.
He and I attended the UCLA-Tennessee game (in the 90s). We had a great time in Knoxville except for the actual game. The score kept going back and forth with Tennessee winning with their last possession. It was awful because neither of us enjoyed the game at the same time...

That was a long and rambling way to say that I would pick a bit of both in the brains vs athletic discussion. They are out there.

Nice anecdote, thanks for sharing.

Sometimes I've noticed, more and more lately with new faces entering this thread that people take fact/stat sharing as arguing points. Often in arguments we tend to move the target, most people try to turn everything into a "in my shoes" style of debate. It's natural that happens, since it's not always easy to relate to topics with no former experience.

But the numbers I shared were simply shared to point out that HS football players getting full ride D1 offers happen at a lower % than kids with 1400+ SATs. So if you want to be more selective with handing out scholarships you'd hand them out to the group that has a lower % of people in it. If you then look into the return on investment it's no longer even worth a debate. Even if just a small portion of the players you've had on scholarship make it to the pros you've gotten back millions from the related revenue generated from attendance/viewership to their games. We already know that if they weren't making money, they wouldn't be giving out the scholarships. At the JuCo level most those kids are paying their own way or taking out loans for this very reason. Very few JuCo programs have the revenue to fully support their student athletes past equipment, attire, and medical expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back