Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first year my parents divorced, my dad planned to take my brother and me out for Thanksgiving dinner. Turns out, in our small town, Waffle House was the only open restaurant. Will forever remember my first trip to WaHo on Thanksgiving. Really enjoyed the hashbrowns that day.

Did you get to watch the knife fight in the parking lot before you went in?

I doubt the football players family let's him drop this deal. Four hours of eye surgery can't be cheap. He's lucky he's not blind and he may have problems going forward.

So, compounding their financial and image problems by having to defend a cross complaint is going to help their situation?

Of course, people do stupid things for stupid reasons every single day. Like start fights they can't win in men's restrooms.

Reactions: jave36
From Athletic Daily

2. Tennessee’s decisions were mind-boggling

We haven’t talked enough about just how crazy the Tennessee situation was and still is. The Vols might have voluntarily torpedoed their program with NCAA penalties because of one bad contract extension — and might not save money from it anyway.

To recap: Athletic director Phillip Fulmer gave Jeremy Pruitt a two-year extension in September, coming off an 8-5 season, at a time when no one was banging down the door to hire Pruitt. Tennessee then had an ugly 3-7 season and faced a decision: It could have paid Pruitt $12.8 million to go away — close to the same amount South Carolina paid Muschamp. Instead, it started an internal investigation into potential NCAA violations and later fired Pruitt for cause, which nullified a buyout.

Tennessee then paid around $6 million to UCF just to buy out athletic director Danny White and head coach Josh Heupel from UCF. It seems likely Pruitt could sue Tennessee, and if the sides come to a settlement like Kansas did with former head coach David Beaty after KU tried a similar strategy, Tennessee might end up spending as much money as if it had just bought out Pruitt. And now the program is in the crosshairs of the NCAA.

Why did any of this happen? Tennessee apparently couldn’t get its boosters to buy out another coach. But this move also came at the end of the coaching carousel. Any replacement candidate Tennessee wanted would have been available in the next coaching cycle. Did they need to pull the plug on Pruitt that badly? So badly it was worth potentially crippling NCAA penalties instead of waiting another year? That NCAA cloud then turned off a number of targets to replace Pruitt.

My hat is off to Heupel and DW then. The guy knew he was stepping into a mess and came anyway. I realize money talks, but for him to walk away from a fairly comfortable job, in a talent rich state...and to lure the staff to date...speaks volumes of the man, imo...

Highly unlikey, but I'd love nothing more than for JH's first team to upset one of the big 3(UF, UGA or Bama) in his first year on the Hill....under sanctions and a semi-depleted roster, no less. It would really send shock waves throughout the land....and a message to what's coming.

Most self-disciplined AFTER the NCAA started looking at their programs. Completely different to launch your own investigation and fire all involved parties BEFORE any public accusations.

And after having done so worked with the NCAA to reach a mutually acceptable resolution by bringing them into the process.

Which is totally different than what has happened with many programs in years past.

From Athletic Daily

2. Tennessee’s decisions were mind-boggling

We haven’t talked enough about just how crazy the Tennessee situation was and still is. The Vols might have voluntarily torpedoed their program with NCAA penalties because of one bad contract extension — and might not save money from it anyway.

To recap: Athletic director Phillip Fulmer gave Jeremy Pruitt a two-year extension in September, coming off an 8-5 season, at a time when no one was banging down the door to hire Pruitt. Tennessee then had an ugly 3-7 season and faced a decision: It could have paid Pruitt $12.8 million to go away — close to the same amount South Carolina paid Muschamp. Instead, it started an internal investigation into potential NCAA violations and later fired Pruitt for cause, which nullified a buyout.

Tennessee then paid around $6 million to UCF just to buy out athletic director Danny White and head coach Josh Heupel from UCF. It seems likely Pruitt could sue Tennessee, and if the sides come to a settlement like Kansas did with former head coach David Beaty after KU tried a similar strategy, Tennessee might end up spending as much money as if it had just bought out Pruitt. And now the program is in the crosshairs of the NCAA.

Why did any of this happen? Tennessee apparently couldn’t get its boosters to buy out another coach. But this move also came at the end of the coaching carousel. Any replacement candidate Tennessee wanted would have been available in the next coaching cycle. Did they need to pull the plug on Pruitt that badly? So badly it was worth potentially crippling NCAA penalties instead of waiting another year? That NCAA cloud then turned off a number of targets to replace Pruitt.

So he just assumes that the only reason UT did an internal investigation was because they didn't want to pay Pruitt's buyout? That's a reasonable guess, but I remember when journalists used to try to prove their accusations. He just presupposes it in his write-up and offers no evidence.

An argument could even be made he's disproving his own theory in the write-up. If the ultimate fallout from the investigation does more financial damage to UT football than just paying the buyout, doesn't that strengthen the University's argument that they're doing this to try to follow the rules rather than save money?

Is it just me or is @Smokey19rt the new @VOLSONLY ?

In any event, I appreciate all the likes. I passed 50k recently and my posts are so good that I flew by it so fast, I forgot to mention it.
Used to dislike you, but changed my mind when you posted some things I agreed with and changed my mind. Just making it up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back