Lady Vols Softball

They are going to walk her all year. She’s awesome!!
Well not so awesome since that homer. They dont have to walk her because she is turning into a strike out machine. Would love for her to be half the player her big sister was. Dont see that AA preseason at this point but i hope she makes it. Hitting about .200 or so now!

Reactions: lvfan
If McCachren is the 2nd best pitcher on the team it will be a long year
Said it last week when Rogers was brought back in to finish a game, showing early that the staff will be limited even with the number of pitchers. McCachren is solid but serves more of a mid week or mid game relief right now.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Said it last week when Rogers was brought back in to finish a game, showing early that the staff will be limited even with the number of pitchers. McCachren is solid but serves more of a mid week or mid game relief right now.
Callie Turner is the second best pitcher and should not have been pulled when she was in my opinion.

Reactions: Majors
Their pitcher who is looking like Nolan Ryan has a 8.8 ERA

The pitcher in the second game was 5th in the NCAA in strikeouts last year, I believe 8th or 9th in the country in 2019. Her ERA was based on one game against Mississippi State. They hit her pretty good.

She's the #2 right now by a pretty wide margin. Bender has been injured since the fall, hoping to have her ready for game action soon. Turner just isn't what she was projected to be yet. Saw someone posted abut her coming back from an injury, I guess that's possible, but I haven't heard anything about that. I think being leaned on as the ace last year got in her head a bit. Hope she pulls it together.

I'd love to know why Morgan wasn't in there. Webber is fine, but she's not Morgan, offensively or defensively.

The pitcher in the second game was 5th in the NCAA in strikeouts last year, I believe 8th or 9th in the country in 2019. Her ERA was based on one game against Mississippi State. They hit her pretty good.

Losing to MAC teams is not a step in the right direction especially after last year’s debacle. Mississippi st took care of business against them and we are supposed to be better than the bulldogs.

I don’t get the narrative that turner is bad this year and way behind Bailey. She was our best pitcher in the fall games with Ashley coming back. She has had limited innings and did not pitch in our first two games so something was up. Her only earned run came when Bailey gave up the homer. The walk she gave up was more the ump than her and it really made no sense to pull her then. The wildness she had at the start of last year is pretty much gone. You can tell she doesn’t have full control of her changeup yet which shows me at least has had some time off. If she is healthy I would ride with her as my #2 all the time. Also Karen said before the season she was the standout player in the lead up to the season.

If the loss turns out to be a wakeup call to the hitters it will be of value. The amount of pitches they were swinging at that were high and out of the strike zone in that second game were enormous. You have to be patient at the plate and lay off those pitches. Nothing the pitchers have done thus far has caused us to lose. Hitting has been terrible even in some games we've won had to come from behind in the late innings. We need some speed at the top of the lineup some players that can bunt a base hit or or beat out a grounder. Milloy would be the ideal leadoff if she could make contact with the ball. I wish we had some table setters at the top of the lineup then come with Seggern, Shipman, Ayala, and Morgan, that is the best way to score runs. Were hitting .280 as a team against these teams that won't win in the SEC or every game now.

Reactions: I4Vols
Losing to MAC teams is not a step in the right direction especially after last year’s debacle. Mississippi st took care of business against them and we are supposed to be better than the bulldogs.
Agree with this. The parity of the game is changing and a good pitcher from a MAC/OVC etc can be the equalizer but Power 5 teams should be able to win based on being able to manufacture runs.

Reactions: lvfan and IndyVol46
Callie Turner is the second best pitcher and should not have been pulled when she was in my opinion.
Can they manage the numbers on the pitching staff? Seems the coaches are still trying to figure out a rotation and role of each on the pitching staff.

Can they manage the numbers on the pitching staff? Seems the coaches are still trying to figure out a rotation and role of each on the pitching staff.
Sure does look that way to me. With 5 who can pitch and add Milloy if needed we should be able to get a few innings from all the staff. I would think that they would hold Ashley back a little to at least let some get under fire a few batters or so. As mentioned to win the game is the goal but Ashley did not look sharp yesterday and out bats looked heavy. Playing as much as we are may give a few subs an opportunity as well. Every team is playing a lot to make up for tourneys missed. Still no hitting lineup that we can hang our hats on!

Reactions: Majors
Sure does look that way to me. With 5 who can pitch and add Milloy if needed we should be able to get a few innings from all the staff. I would think that they would hold Ashley back a little to at least let some get under fire a few batters or so. As mentioned to win the game is the goal but Ashley did not look sharp yesterday and out bats looked heavy. Playing as much as we are may give a few subs an opportunity as well. Every team is playing a lot to make up for tourneys missed. Still no hitting lineup that we can hang our hats on!

They'll get it figured out. But it'll be long season with the SEC loaded this year with 10 teams in the Top 30 and 8 teams ranked ahead of us as of last week. Rogers is going to have a bad day/weekend but getting Turner, Bender and McCachren in a flow should help. Megan is still trying to figure out pitch selection of each pitcher - game vs. bullpen is different once the counts matter and runs are scored.

Miss St may have won two versus Miami Ohio then they turned around and lost to Southern Illinois. Everyone except three teams have lost at least one game. Florida, Alabama, and Kentucky are undefeated.

VN Store

Back