American Football Coaches Association asks NCAA Rules Committee to address Players Faking Injuries

It is getting ridiculous in some games. If we are not careful, it is going to get as silly as soccer „flops“

With all of the emphasis on player safety, I don’t see anything they could do other than extend the number of plays that a player must sit out if they cause an injury timeout.
I can see the evolution of the "hockey goon" for injuries - that is the guy who takes one for the team to has to sit in the penalty box. The guy with the best backup becomes the injured player.

Have to prove he's faking. That's impossible.
No, I think the key is to make the player prove that he is injured in the first place. The cost of faking an injury is built into the rule. If a kid is really hurt, he should come out of the game and not go back in until the next series anyways because adrenaline can mask the true extent of injuries.

I can see the evolution of the "hockey goon" for injuries - that is the guy who takes one for the team to has to sit in the penalty box. The guy with the best backup becomes the injured player.

Except that is really not what is happening in these situations, for the most part. The majority of these fake injuries occur when the offensive team is in no huddle and running hurry up, which prevents the defense from subbing. The players go down to force a break in play. If you can't sub in the "goon," he can't flop.

Last edited:
Reactions: orange parmejohn
Except that is really not what is happening in these situations, for the most part. The majority of these fake injuries occur when the offensive team is in no huddle and running hurry up, with prevents the defense from subbing. The players go down to force a break in play. If you can't sub in the "goon," he can't flop.
I would add that a goon in hockey can hold the line, for the most part, but in football, any weak link will get exposed for a long gain or a touchdown in 1 or 2 plays.

No, I think the key is to make the player prove that he is injured in the first place.

In the age of litigation, with football already under heavy attack for CTE and other 'hidden injuries,' this is a practical impossibility. Will only take ONE instance of a player called out for 'faking' and then he collapses somewhere else to bring the entire edifice crashing down. No league, conference, whathaveyou is going to take that risk- especially one with TV megabucks to be had, like the NCAA/SEC.

1. Player falls down

2. "Prove you are injured"

3. "My head/back hurts"

4. Can't prove a negative

5. Player's taken at his word

Reactions: Rickyvol77
In the age of litigation, with football already under heavy attack for CTE and other 'hidden injuries,' this is a practical impossibility. Will only take ONE instance of a player called out for 'faking' and then he collapses somewhere else to bring the entire edifice crashing down. No league, conference, whathaveyou is going to take that risk- especially one with TV megabucks to be had, like the NCAA/SEC.

1. Player falls down

2. "Prove you are injured"

3. "My head/back hurts"

4. Can't prove a negative

5. Player's taken at his word
No that is not what I mean. I mean keep every hurt player out for a least a series, thus if a player goes out of the game, with an entire series at stake, he is likely really hurt.

Reactions: dovervolz
Just make it a standard rule for all players so you don’t have to guess who’s faking and who isn’t.

Any injury=3 plays minimum. A second injury to the same play should get a larger penalty. Maybe 5-6 plays.

Oh Horse****. When a players gets hurt (unless they bring outa spine board), charge that player's team a time out. Problem solved.

Oh Horse****. When a players gets hurt (unless they bring outa spine board), charge that player's team a time out. Problem solved.

That seems like overkill. Just penalize the player 3 plays. You can say “it’s so medical personnel have more time to evaluate them” and use the “player safety” angle to get it passed. Easy, simply, and it doesn’t impact the game the way timeouts would

Start using injury time like soccer. Time is added to the clock to cover the time that play was stopped. Would make for some interesting drama.

Reactions: kcvols1
That seems like overkill. Just penalize the player 3 plays. You can say “it’s so medical personnel have more time to evaluate them” and use the “player safety” angle to get it passed. Easy, simply, and it doesn’t impact the game the way timeouts would

Then teams will start strategically subbing in scrubs to take a dive. Charging the team a timeout seems a little draconian but it would stop it. The problem is deciding which injury is faked and which requires legit medical attention.

There's no way you can ask any official to judge the validity of an injury, and there should not be any kind of rule that even attempts to do so. Whatever is changed, if anything, simply needs to apply to all injuries at all times.

Currently, if a player goes out for injury, the player must leave the field for one play. So, whatever that gets changed to, it applies universally. It can be and should be that simple.

There's no way you can ask any official to judge the validity of an injury, and there should not be any kind of rule that even attempts to do so. Whatever is changed, if anything, simply needs to apply to all injuries at all times.

Currently, if a player goes out for injury, the player must leave the field for one play. So, whatever that gets changed to, it applies universally. It can be and should be that simple.
Agreed.

Then teams will start strategically subbing in scrubs to take a dive. Charging the team a timeout seems a little draconian but it would stop it. The problem is deciding which injury is faked and which requires legit medical attention.

Good. If you’re subbing in scrubs, you’re helping the other team.

Agreed. Simply increase the mandatory number of snaps you must sit out and claim it’s for player safety so they can be properly evaluated by medical personnel

I'm all for stopping the faking of injuries but like others have said there is no way for an official to make that call unless it's clear as day.

I'm all for stopping the faking of injuries but like others have said there is no way for an official to make that call unless it's clear as day.
It's never going to be about punishing players for faking. Any change will have to be about making the procedures for injuries take away the incentive for coach's to have their kid's lie about about being hurt.

Reactions: kcvols1

VN Store

Back