Texas, 'He Is Lying. People Are Dying'

Sure I’ll buy it after I read your published works on “Deflection as a Means of Saving Face”. I don’t need you to tell me what happened here I lived in it. Kthxbai
Enjoy trying to repair the billions of dollars in damages, blame the dead for dying, and the ruined lives upon the afflicted. Slap the tar brush of “liberal” on anyone who has the audacity to mention another opportunity to mea culpa and prepare to avoid future tragedy. Keep parroting the line of those who continue to promote that which allowed this to happen and accuse the “unfaithful” of the deception and deflection of which you and your ilk are guilty. Proclaim that you are Texas, and everyone who disagrees with you are unworthy. Oh, and deny that you and your Texas have any impact on others outside of Texas. Happy trails...

Reactions: TN Ribs
I don't understand. Is fuel delivery of natural gas via truck to a power plant?
It isn't pipeline?
So during Dove season I’ve hunted large ranches in West Texas where the natural gas collection pipelines just lay on the ground from the well head to central collection points where the truck comes and gathers it in these huge ranches. Then it goes to distribution centers where it is sent into the pipeline network.

We didn’t take the warning we got in 2011 @Tin Man is correct in that. And many of us me included have been screaming about that But it isn’t the grid that should have been the focus. It should have been the gas distribution network.

Texas is going to rely on natural gas for base load generation for the next hundred years at least. It makes economical sense for us due to the Barnett Shale. My belief is there will be focused winterizing on the natural gas pipeline network as that serves power generation and residential heating in dual fashion. I also expect we will look at adding local fuel storage like LNG tanks at the generation facilities. Look at the graph above. Our nuke and coal ran at 100% capacity thru this. Not surprising they are the most reliable and have fuel locally. The answer lies right there. Our gas capacity is likewise very reliable it just doesn’t currently have guaranteed fuel delivery.

Reactions: McDad
Your “point” was the grid with the addition of wind and solar wasn’t hardened. As I’ve said multiple times here now. It wasn’t the grid it was fuel delivery.

Your post read like the same broke ass narrative ive heard daily on national news. We didn’t require the green capacity of our generation equipment could have gotten fuel.

Yes it was due to cold weather vulnerability... in the fuel delivery pipeline network. That responsibility falls under the Texas Railroad Commission not ERCOT.
Maybe you can clear this up since you live in Texas. Read an article the other day that said after the 2011 freeze episode, a Democratic representative put forth a bill to force the state and ERCOT to protect the power plants and gas distribution equipment better and the Republican controlled state government rejected the bill. Is that true?

Enjoy trying to repair the billions of dollars in damages, blame the dead for dying, and the ruined lives upon the afflicted. Slap the tar brush of “liberal” on anyone who has the audacity to mention another opportunity to mea culpa and prepare to avoid future tragedy. Keep parroting the line of those who continue to promote that which allowed this to happen and accuse the “unfaithful” of the deception and deflection of which you and your ilk are guilty. Proclaim that you are Texas, and everyone who disagrees with you are unworthy. Oh, and deny that you and your Texas have any impact on others outside of Texas. Happy trails...
Thanks for your clueless rant. Run along now.

Reactions: DC_Vol and hog88
Maybe you can clear this up since you live in Texas. Read an article the other day that said after the 2011 freeze episode, a Democratic representative put forth a bill to force the state and ERCOT to protect the power plants and gas distribution equipment better and the Republican controlled state government rejected the bill. Is that true?
It’s being stupidly politicized. Never let a crisis go to waste. I made another post I think just above yours.

Yes 2011 was a test run for this and yes many of us are screaming on why didn’t we take any action. I’m not aware of the bill you mentioned but I can see it being put forth and probably would have had some cross aisle support.

ERCOT is catching the heat here because they manage the grid. They don’t control the fuel delivery however that falls on the Texas Railroad Commission. They are the equivalent of the Mafia in Texas frankly. We don’t even have that much rail anymore but hey that have to manage something right? ERCOT has culpability in not screaming that they had a reliable fuel supply. But TRC owns regulatory oversight for guaranteeing that.

The national narrative has been that we didn’t respond to 2011. Thats correct to a degree, but not on the way it’s being presented. Green energy isnt baseload in Texas it’s all fossil or nuke. And our coal and nuke ran at 100% ... whick keeps its fuel onsite.

The lesson from 2011 that needed to be heeded was we need to guarantee the fuel to our base load generation. Technically that isn’t the under grids regulatory control. But it doesn’t vacate the state of their responsibility to act either.

Last edited:
Please, continue displaying your belligerent lack of character.
Oh FFS will you please read my last few posts which WERENT to you?! I even @ you in one.

The national narrative you parroted is being presented in a disingenuous fashion. Yes I’ve made it a point to understand what happened here. I live here it’s in my best interests. And call me tired on reading and hearing that stupid national narrative.

2011 wasn’t as cold as this event the closet was 1983. We were all nuke and fossil in 1983. 2011 gave us a test drive for 2021. Yes we needed to take action but not in the fashion that the dumbass narrative is being put forth. We needed to guarantee reliable fuel to the power generation. We don’t need renewables if our baseload is reliable. And your baseload gets hardening priority.

Why weren’t the pipelines and delivery mechanisms hardened against cold prior to deregulation?

Why weren’t the pipelines and delivery mechanisms hardened against cold prior to deregulation?
I’m guessing we had enough coal and nuke to carry most of the demand and with fractional support from natural gas we survived the 1983 event.

Oh and on the emotional red ass rant that was made on property damages. That goes to residential building codes largely. Water mains do break but that is focused in a small area and gets repaired quickly.

Yep. It has moisture. That moisture freezes and lays in more layers as more moisture is collected. Think clogged artery.
Given the size of Texas, what are the estimates on distance covered, in miles, for the pipeline?

It’s being stupidly politicized. Never let a crisis go to waste. I made another post I think just above yours.

Yes 2011 was a test run for this and yes many of us are screaming on why didn’t we take any action. I’m not aware of the bill you mentioned but I can see it being put forth and probably would have had some cross aisle support.

ERCOT is catching the heat here because they manage the grid. They don’t control the fuel delivery however that falls on the Texas Railroad Commission. They are the equivalent of the Mafia in Texas frankly. We don’t even have that much rail anymore but hey that have to manage something right? ERCOT has culpability in not screaming that they had a reliable fuel supply. But TRC owns regulatory oversight for guaranteeing that.

The national narrative has been that we didn’t respond to 2011. Thats correct to a degree, but not on the way it’s being presented. Green energy isnt baseload in Texas it’s all fossil or nuke. And our coal and nuke ran at 100% ... whick keeps its fuel onsite.

The lesson from 2011 that needed to be heeded was we need to guarantee the fuel to our base load generation. Technically that isn’t the under grids regulatory control. But it doesn’t vacate the state of their responsibility to act either.
I agree with you but I also think some of that lesson is that they should have spent some money to protect the system better. From not learning the lesson in 2011 and the desire to remain “independent”, the chickens have now come home to roost. My understanding is that this may end up being the most expensive natural disaster and it’s going to cost the state a lot of money. Wait till the lawsuits start flowing. Somebody is going to pay and it usually ends up being the taxpayers.

Given the size of Texas, what are the estimates on distance covered, in miles, for the pipeline?
Absolutely no idea. But as you go thru rural Texas you will see a ranch house with an old school dipping oil well setup just outside the back yard. Basically if it’s got fossil fuel underground somebody close by has tapped it.

For customer delivery you don’t necessarily have gas pipelines running to the rural areas. Doesn’t make economic sense. Those people just like in TN keep an on-site propane tank. Propane and natural gas have similar combustion properties and byproducts. They both burn clean. Propane has more specific energy.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDad
I agree with you but I also think some of that lesson is that they should have spent some money to protect the system better. From not learning the lesson in 2011 and the desire to remain “independent”, the chickens have now come home to roost. My understanding is that this may end up being the most expensive natural disaster and it’s going to cost the state a lot of money. Wait till the lawsuits start flowing. Somebody is going to pay and it usually ends up being the taxpayers.
So I agree that we should have taken action. All of us Texans are screaming that. But you don’t hear a lot of screaming for us to want to join the grid because ... well we’re Texas. It’s just one of those things. That being said there are actually several physical tie points to the East Grid from what I’ve read. We did pull about 1-2GW from the national grid. Again the national narrative isn’t giving the whole picture.

And again extreme cold weather events in Texas will result in large property damage. Due to residential building codes primarily.

I am not parroting “mainstream media” when I observe that a properly implemented regulatory framework would have deterred that problems being experienced during the latest plunge of Arctic air mass into Texas. Nor am I parroting “mainstream media” when I observe that implementation & funding of such a regulatory framework has been consistently opposed by politicians professing to be “conservative Republicans.” Nor am I parroting “mainstream media” when I note that conservative Republican governments in other states have supported such a regulatory framework. Nor am I parroting “mainstream media” when I point out that precedence foretold of the need to prepare, a need which was neglected, and that neglect was championed by those espousing a rigid ideology of deregulation. All of the facts which I cite may be found in the annals of Texas journalists. Now, if you lump decades of Texas journalists into “mainstream media,” it’s on you to defend that position.

Reactions: Vol Main
I am not parroting “mainstream media” when I observe that a properly implemented regulatory framework would have deterred that problems being experienced during the latest plunge of Arctic air mass into Texas. Nor am I parroting “mainstream media” when I observe that implementation & funding of such a regulatory framework has been consistently opposed by politicians professing to be “conservative Republicans.” Nor am I parroting “mainstream media” when I note that conservative Republican governments in other states have supported such a regulatory framework. Nor am I parroting “mainstream media” when I point out that precedence foretold of the need to prepare, a need which was neglected, and that neglect was championed by those espousing a rigid ideology of deregulation. All of the facts which I cite may be found in the annals of Texas journalists. Now, if you lump decades of Texas journalists into “mainstream media,” it’s on you to defend that position.
Congrats. You luckily ranted the exact same slanted rant. Being called on the slant you’ve now transitioned to a stupid baseless emotional plea to authority. Run along now.

Does the same apply to the wildfires in CA?

Of course it is. Have you realized you are debating an older dumber version of septic?
Oh an Im laughing my ass off that a suburbanite Atlanta dweller is telling the state of Texas the answer to their woes lies with more federal government oversight. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Even Texas Democrats will tell him to GTFO

Reactions: hog88

A large number of peep on this forum divert from reasoned facts by throwing out one line attacks which did not fit at all. They parrot the same old lines while accusing the other person of parroting. My impression is that they live in a one dimensional world of scripted thought, half truths, and out right lies.

VN Store

Back