Terry Fair on working for Pruitt.

I hope Terry doesn't get a bad rap over this. The coaching fraternity is pretty tight knit. One of the things that rarely happens is to hear an assistant bad mouth his former head coach. One of those things where if you put him on your staff how long before he bad mouths you? He's a good guy, hope this doesn't set back his future in any way.
Yeah, maybe. But, it 's hard to blame a guy for speaking truth. And, it didn't sound personal, just professional. Probably worth any bad mojo to distance himself from the stench.

I would love to hear more from Jimmy Brumbaugh about what the Pruitt era was like.

Brumbaugh called a ♠️... a spade & Pruitt didn’t like. I gaurantee you that’s what happened. With all the clown hires we’ve made for assistant coaches Jimmy wasn’t that bad to get fired in game 4. Something else happened. Pruitt got challenged.

That's prolly why Jim's offense looked so vanilla. Pruitt is not a head coach and it should stay that way. D coordinator or Highschool coach!
My first thought reading the article was that maybe the harsh criticism that Chaney has received isn't warranted. He has his issues but I never felt he was the problem.

As bad as Pruitt was (and he was awful), Dooley was much worse. Now depending on probation, Pruitt might actually leave the program in a worse spot than Dooley did.

Dooley at least put a competitive offense on the field. Pruitts offense was more likely to allow the opponent to score than they were & his defense & special teams sucked so I’d say Pruitt was worse

Add in the NCAA trouble and it’s not close.

"And the athletic director who just left a secure job in Orlando thought highly enough of Josh Heupel to essentially bet on his own future at UT by hiring Heupel in Knoxville."

The article was OK until this line. Danny White didn't "bet on his own future at UT" by hiring Heuple. He hired him because he had no damn choice but to go get his old coach. He couldnt convince anyone he really wanted to come here.
Both statements can be true.

I supported Pruitt and his progress. I didn’t forget that second season we were a few points from having as bad of a second season as we did the third. So, I wasn’t too surprised. We looked good in the beginning though. So, I can’t help but wonder about S&C.

Regardless, he didn’t seem smart, but he was so highly respected I just figured it was his personality. Turns out he was a bit stupid, but not when it comes to XOs.

One might think how can an NFL coach be stupid. Well there are different forms of stupidity just like there are different forms of intelligence. I came up with this quote many years ago that arrogance is the highest form of stupidity. It can be an intelligent person with little emotional intelligence, and that usually is the case when you have a micro manager in a coach. Not always, but when you have a coach that won’t let an offensive juggernaut run his offense because he played QB in HS, Houston has a problem upstairs.

The thing that exemplified this for me the most was how Pruitt kept talking about playing QB in highschoooooo. He said it all the time. I mean DUDE. Game has changed. And the SEC isn’t Highschoooo. There are much more versatile and dynamic players and schemes out there that you have to consider. If you were any good at QB, why didn’t you play it on college? Why didn’t you keep coaching on Offense?

It sounded ridiculously stupid, and it was in the form of arrogance. That said, doesn’t surprise me that he meddled.

Last edited:
I supported Pruitt and his progress. I didn’t forget that second season we were a few points from having as bad of a second season as we did the third. So, I wasn’t too surprised. We looked good in the beginning though. So, I can’t help but wonder about S&C.

Regardless, he didn’t seem smart, but he was so highly respected I just figured it was his personality. Turns out he was a bit stupid, but when it comes to XOs.

I came up with this quote many years ago that arrogance is the highest form of stupidity. It can be an intelligent person with zero emotional intelligence, and that usually is the case when you have a micro manager in a coach.

The thing that exemplified this for me the most was how Pruitt kept talking about playing QB in highschoooooo. He said it all the time. I mean DUDE. Game has changed. And the SEC isn’t Highschoooo. There are much more versatile and dynamic players and schemes out there that you have to consider. If you were any good at QB, why didn’t you play it on college? Why didn’t you keep coaching on Offense?

It sounded ridiculously stupid, and it was in the form of arrogance. That said, doesn’t surprise me that he meddled.

We never looked good this season. We were lucky to win against a bad SC team and thankfully caught MO at the right time. We could have easily been 1-9 this past year.

"We've finally got us a real football coach, folks"! - VN, circa 2018

"Who cares about what Mark Richt thinks? You are a Negavol" - Volnation in December 2017

"Who cares if he doesnt know English. He knows football. Stop being a Negavol" - Volnation in August 31, 2019

"How many schools interviewed Dabo before he got a job. Pruitt is the next Dabo. Stop being a Negavol"

"Pruitt knows more than every other P5 coach in hiring Osovet and Felton. Stop being a Negavol"

Regardless, he didn’t seem smart, but he was so highly respected I just figured it was his personality. Turns out he was a bit stupid, but when it comes to XOs.

I came up with this quote many years ago that arrogance is the highest form of stupidity. It can be an intelligent person with zero emotional intelligence, and that usually is the case when you have a micro manager in a coach.

Agreed!!!

I just wish Fair had been committed to the school and didn’t base his decision to go on who the coach was. Doesnt he know the only important thing in life decisions is being a Vol?!?

Reactions: sanefan
Told you so.

I really thought Terry might get a shot with this staff. When he left after being a grad assistant under Martinez the DB play went downhill considerably. Everyone knew it was Fair that was the difference. That’s why I’m so disappointed in CJH hiring Martinez.
Fair was actually going to be hired by CJH to coach alongside Martinez when Pruitt hired him.

Dooley at least put a competitive offense on the field. Pruitts offense was more likely to allow the opponent to score than they were & his defense & special teams sucked so I’d say Pruitt was worse

Add in the NCAA trouble and it’s not close.

I think we remember the 2012 offense and forget how bad Dooley was on the field. 4-19 in SEC play. Pruitt was 10-16 in SEC play.

It's not close that Dooley was a far worse coach if you look at just the on field stuff. Now, I will agree with you that Pruitt did more damage to UT than Dooley.

As bad as Pruitt was (and he was awful), Dooley was much worse. Now depending on probation, Pruitt might actually leave the program in a worse spot than Dooley did.

No, there’s a big difference. Dooley was a bad head coach. Pruitt was a bad head coach and a bad person. That automatically makes Pruitt worse.

"Who cares about what Mark Richt thinks? You are a Negavol" - Volnation in December 2017

"Who cares if he doesnt know English. He knows football. Stop being a Negavol" - Volnation in August 31, 2019

"How many schools interviewed Dabo before he got a job. Pruitt is the next Dabo. Stop being a Negavol"

"Pruitt knows more than every other P5 coach in hiring Osovet and Felton. Stop being a Negavol"

Lol

They are so predictable

Reactions: lifeisdeep
No. Dooley was terrible but his teams were watchable. With a better DC he might still have a job. There’s zero way Pruitt should ever be more than an coordinator at any level above high school. Most awful football I’ve seen at Tennessee. With Dooley we got beat by some mediocre teams, he never lost to Georgia state. Pruitt also didn’t just lose he got curb stomped and just kept right on JGing the team till the team said F it.
Part of Pruitt’s arrogance was thinking he could win with a JG level QB. He brings in Chryst but leaves him on the bench to spite Helton. Then brings in freshmen, who he claims aren’t ready to play.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back