Defensive coaches

After listening to the long introduction press conference and reading up on our new coaches I really like what I've learned on both sides of the ball.

Lots of knowledge and experience, good teachers of the game and fundamentals, Coaches that can relate well with the kids and each other and seems more interested in building a rock solid TEAM rather than personal glory to build s resume'.

Good experience as good recruiters in many areas of the country and 1 or 2 that have also been a recruiting coordinator which should help too.

Considering how late we got started hiring a new AD and our HC and considering how many players we lost and not even knowing how hard the useless NCAA is going to hammer us I'm actually amazed at what a good staff of coaches/teachers/recruiters we've been able to get to come fight this raging dumpster fire.

At this time, on paper, I'd have to give our new AD and HC a solid A for their efforts and work so far.

I'm encouraged and optomistic for our long term future as we fight through the NCAA garbage.

Win some games as we rebuild and get through the sanctions then we should start to get back in on some of the top recruits again.

I'm ready for some games and to hear our Pride of the Southland play our favorite song many times as we score.

VFL...GBO!!!

My thought is, if Steele was going to be a member of this staff, they would have already announced it and the staff would be done. If they don't announce the full staff (with Steele) on Monday, then I believe that he is a back-up plan in case we don't get the coach we want.

If I had to guess probably not. Could be an analyst? We should no ina few days.
Be a pretty expensive analyst .. I'd tell him he's olb coach ... let DC coach safties and WM coach corners and let WM split special teams with Mack the RB coach..

"Steele and Heupel have spoken but haven’t met face to face in two weeks. It seems pretty clear that Steele is not going to be a part of this staff. It also seems apparent that Steele is not going to quit so at this point he is still currently on staff." The War Room
One name mentioned has Larry Knight. Knight currently at Georgia Tech where he’s the DL coach and the defensive recruiting coordinator. Played for and GA for Banks at Central Michigan. Knight and Willie Martinez were together at Cincy and UT.

"Steele and Heupel have spoken but haven’t met face to face in two weeks. It seems pretty clear that Steele is not going to be a part of this staff. It also seems apparent that Steele is not going to quit so at this point he is still currently on staff." The War Room
One name mentioned has Larry Knight. Knight currently at Georgia Tech where he’s the DL coach and the defensive recruiting coordinator. Played for and GA for Banks at Central Michigan. Knight and Willie Martinez were together at Cincy and UT.​

I believe he was also a grad assistant and quality control at Tennessee in 2013 and 2014 under Butch Jones

Great analysis based on what? You people are ridiculous!
I simply answered his question. You are wound a little tight. Lighten up Francis ... If you really want to know I gave the grade I gave because of lack of experience of some coaches like Banks. He has never been a DC at a major program before calling plays. Some others are relativity new to their positions. On the other hand, some coaches like Garner, on paper is an A+ hire.

Overall, a better grade than average. What is "ridiculous" about that? I simply want to wait to see how the players play on the field. I guess you would grade it higher. If you want to be a sunshine pumper go ahead and be "ridiculous". For me, I have seen this scenario play out more times than I can count over the last fifteen years. Excuse me for waiting to see how it really plays out.

Be a pretty expensive analyst .. I'd tell him he's olb coach ... let DC coach safties and WM coach corners and let WM split special teams with Mack the RB coach..
I can not disagree with that. In fact, sounds like a good idea to me. However, you never know how this will play out at this point. I like Steele and personally hope he gets a major role in shaping the defense.

I think it's a decent group not sold on the Tim banks hire alot of question on his ability to lead the defense. He might exceed our expectations I hope. Glad to get some of the names we got considering the circumstances. Have some on board who can recruit in the sec which is huge. We will have to out work and out smart our competition. Not sure we'll have the speed and natural talent to keep up on D at first.
Understand questions about Banks, But anytime you are a first time DC and the job is in the SEC dispite the money, I believe you are looking to prove you belong especially running a defense that is going to have to stop Bama, Georgia and Florida every year! He may find out he is over his head (which is going to make you look weak and not ready) or he is going to find out he is as good as he believes. Toughest job in the Country! IMO. Vs someone as a known commodity who will just move on!

Reactions: N.ohio vol
I simply answered his question. You are wound a little tight. Lighten up Francis ... If you really want to know I gave the grade I gave because of lack of experience of some coaches like Banks. He has never been a DC at a major program before calling plays. Some others are relativity new to their positions. On the other hand, some coaches like Garner, on paper is an A+ hire.

Overall, a better grade than average. What is "ridiculous" about that? I simply want to wait to see how the players play on the field. I guess you would grade it higher. If you want to be a sunshine pumper go ahead and be "ridiculous". For me, I have seen this scenario play out more times than I can count over the last fifteen years. Excuse me for waiting to see how it really plays out.

Qualifications? Stay at a Holiday Inn last night? E.F. Hutton is your financial adviser?

Assigning letter grades is pretty subjective even when sportswriters who never played sports do it. What’s your formula?

One name mentioned has Larry Knight. Knight currently at Georgia Tech where he’s the DL coach and the defensive recruiting coordinator. Played for and GA for Banks at Central Michigan. Knight and Willie Martinez were together at Cincy and UT.​
Can he coach special teams...?

Understand questions about Banks, But anytime you are a first time DC and the job is in the SEC dispite the money, I believe you are looking to prove you belong especially running a defense that is going to have to stop Bama, Georgia and Florida every year! He may find out he is over his head (which is going to make you look weak and not ready) or he is going to find out he is as good as he believes. Toughest job in the Country! IMO. Vs someone as a known commodity who will just move on!
He's certainly not a first time DC. Three years at Central Michigan and 4 years at Illinois.

Qualifications? Stay at a Holiday Inn last night? E.F. Hutton is your financial adviser?

Assigning letter grades is pretty subjective even when sportswriters who never played sports do it. What’s your formula?
Some people just simply like to pick at anything. Must have a pretty simple life. My criteria, since you are so curious, is experience, success, reputation coupled with a gut feeling. Yes it is subjective, I guess you must have a problem with that ... lol

By the way, people do not have to necessarily have experience in grading coaches and players. Plenty of successful people have excelled in sports without experience. One was our OC for a number of years and now is head coach at Duke. You simply enjoy being negative. Good luck with that. lol

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
Some people just simply like to pick at anything. Must have a pretty simple life. My criteria, since you are so curious, is experience, success, reputation coupled with a gut feeling. Yes it is subjective, I guess you must have a problem with that ... lol

By the way, people do not have to necessarily have experience in grading coaches and players. Plenty of successful people have excelled in sports without experience. One was our OC for a number of years and now is head coach at Duke. You simply enjoy being negative. Good luck with that. lol
B- maybe C+ retort

VN Store

Back