Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re not my prediction to. It’d just be funny if they did. They have the talent, lot of close losses. Isiah Jackson has had 3 good games in a row. All it takes is some confidence and a hot hand. Suck all year and still make the big tourney.... because Kentucky
IMO, im. not sure how far it would take but if they finish at 13-14 or 14-14 I could see them making it, maybe a first four game.

We are inconsistent and struggle on offense, but people have to remember that this UK team has talent. It’s probably more of an indictment on Calipari. 5 top 40 freshmen including 2 in the top 10. Brooks was a 5 Star top 25 player last year. Cal has learned a little by adding experience with transfers with Mintz, Sarr, and Toppin. Yet they are 8-13. You think UK fans are crazy, but our fans would be going nuts if Barnes did that.

Also, casual fans don’t realize how talented Alabama is as well. 4 and 5 stars all over the court, and Herb Jones is an experienced 3 star.

We were the predicted winner of the SEC because of Fulkerson’s play to get him to a selection on the SEC second team last year to go along with 2 five stars. But when Fulky isn’t playing at that level and Pons has been inconsistent, then we are left with a still very young team that is inconsistent.
Bama is the one who surprises me more, I didnt pay much attention to them pre season. As far as UK they have talent, but I dont think they were playing as a team earlier this year.

But it all comes back to TN, theyre just to inconsistent.

Reactions: alvinkamara
I mean it’s not inconceivable that a top recruit would want to play for a team that has a big brand and has won 5 national championships since the 90s. I’m sure they pay but that’s a weak angle. I’m sure good players would go there regardless.

It’s not even a secret. Just like Deandre Ayton to Arizona. Those just aren’t good examples of not getting players when the information is out there as to why they went to schools.

Plus, there aren’t a high number of really skilled post players every year anyway. I agree that Barnes has missed here and there, but they took a swing at the two best ones in the 2021 class and unfortunately came in second for both.

Reactions: KPT_VFL
We are inconsistent and struggle on offense, but people have to remember that this UK team has talent. It’s probably more of an indictment on Calipari. 5 top 40 freshmen including 2 in the top 10. Brooks was a 5 Star top 25 player last year. Cal has learned a little by adding experience with transfers with Mintz, Sarr, and Toppin. Yet they are 8-13. You think UK fans are crazy, but our fans would be going nuts if Barnes did that.

Also, casual fans don’t realize how talented Alabama is as well. 4 and 5 stars all over the court, and Herb Jones is an experienced 3 star.

We were the predicted winner of the SEC because of Fulkerson’s play to get him to a selection on the SEC second team last year to go along with 2 five stars. But when Fulky isn’t playing at that level and Pons has been inconsistent, then we are left with a still very young team that is inconsistent.
I think a lot of it has to do with Covid. UK, Duke, UNC, MSU all Unranked and could all miss the tourney. That’s 4 ELITE legendary coaches that never miss the Tourney. Coach K hasn’t missed the tourney since 82, Izzo since the 90’s, Coach Cal once at UK, Roy Williams twice in his entire career.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I think a lot of it has to do with Covid. UK, Duke, UNC, MSU all Unranked and could all miss the tourney. That’s 4 ELITE legendary coaches that never miss the Tourney. Coach K hasn’t missed the tourney since 82, Izzo since the 90’s, Coach Cal once at UK, Roy Williams twice in his entire career.
Duke missed in 95 when Coach K had back surgery

IMO, im. not sure how far it would take but if they finish at 13-14 or 14-14 I could see them making it, maybe a first four game.
They’re up to #50 in Kenpom after the win. It’ll be interesting to see where they’re at in the NET rankings tomorrow. I think it’ll take winning the SECT for them to get in but who knows maybe not

Yea, I tend to lean this way with multiple examples. But if you mention that around here for our team, you won’t get the same response. We have two freshman and a transfer playing for us for the first time, and a fourth player who has just now played a full year because he started at semester break last year.

But you also can’t believe that UK is 8-13 even with Covid. You would think they could have stumbled into a few more wins.

Ahh, semantics. You’re right, I’m wrong, you’re smart, I’m stupid....
I’m just not sure why you’d count a year against coach K when he didn’t even coach half the games. Especially when I said coach K hasn’t missed the tourney since 82’, I didn’t say duke.

They’re up to #50 in Kenpom after the win. It’ll be interesting to see where they’re at in the NET rankings tomorrow. I think it’ll take winning the SECT for them to get in but who knows maybe not
Idk. My reasoning is basically they're a blue blood and the committee will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yea, I tend to lean this way with multiple examples. But if you mention that around here for our team, you won’t get the same response. We have two freshman and a transfer playing for us for the first time, and a fourth player who has just now played a full year because he started at semester break last year.

But you also can’t believe that UK is 8-13 even with Covid. You would think they could have stumbled into a few more wins.
For me, its a mix of frustration and disappointment. This team was supposed to be tough and come close if not breaking through. Instead they are likely as hell to get bounced second round, honestly have a better chance imo.
Couple that with I think next years team will be pretty bad and its even more disappointing. This is in essence the third Barnes team that will fail to reach the E8 that shouldve.

We’ve definitely lost some games we shouldn’t have. But we’re still not a bad team. Unless we absolutely collapse we’ll still be a 5 seed. Which we’ve done maybe 5(?) times since 00’. This team is more like the 17’ than 18’ team and always was. It’s been a lil disappointing but far from being a bad season

I think the hot start and inconsistency is why fans look at it as such a disappointing season

For me, its a mix of frustration and disappointment. This team was supposed to be tough and come close if not breaking through. Instead they are likely as hell to get bounced second round, honestly have a better chance imo.
Couple that with I think next years team will be pretty bad and its even more disappointing. This is in essence the third Barnes team that will fail to reach the E8 that shouldve.

I just can’t expect EE’s around here when our history only has one all time. It takes some luck to do it, too. Losing Alexander to injury, a bouncing ball on the rim, and a questionable foul all played into not advancing further for Barnes’ UT teams.

I also don’t think next year will be bad. We will have an elite PG, and we will add to the post whether it’s a reclassified BHH or a transfer post player.

This program sucked when Barnes came. The fact that we are discussing this is pretty remarkable.

We’ll see if BHH reclassifies. He wants to play with Chandler if he comes to TN but Chandler is likely a one and done. A lineup of Chandler, Vescovi/Bailey, JJJ, BHH, Fulk would not be bad. That’s assuming Pons, Keon and Springer are gone. Not sure why Fulk would leave. And we’ll try to pick up a grad transfer again hopefully he contributes more than EJ😬

This morning I watched a film breakdown of Heupel's UCF offense. It showed the basic formations, and how they ran and passed from the formations. It's interesting how Heupel has taken so many concepts and incorporated them into his scheme. There's definitely a Briles influence from the Baylor schemes. I think you will find it interesting. It's on YouTube. I searched Josh Heupel Offense, and it popped up. It's a film study by The Daily Stampede. There's actually 2 of these from this same poster. I only have seen the first. Enjoy.

Edit: The one I watched was from a year ago. The second is newer from this year's games. Contains some new wrinkles Heupel incorporated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back