Defensive coaches

LibertyVolance

Tim Banks as DC
Rodney Garner as DL coach
Willie Martinez as DB coach
Jean-Mary as LB coach/recruiter

Looks like an impressive lineup of experience. I am still puzzled why a new recruit like Brooks would not seize upon an opportunity to get early playing time and a real chance to write his own ticket if he's as good as he thinks he is. A new staff with no preconceptions or biases in favor of experienced players, it's a perfect setup for a new recruit with talent. The need is there, the opportunity is there, and he's going to the transfer portal now?

Overall, how do you like the new coaching staff on the defensive side of the ball?

Reactions: TommyJoe
I think it's a decent group not sold on the Tim banks hire alot of question on his ability to lead the defense. He might exceed our expectations I hope. Glad to get some of the names we got considering the circumstances. Have some on board who can recruit in the sec which is huge. We will have to out work and out smart our competition. Not sure we'll have the speed and natural talent to keep up on D at first.

Last edited:
Tim Banks as DC

Looks like an impressive lineup of experience. I am still puzzled why a new recruit like Brooks would not seize upon an opportunity to get early playing time and a real chance to write his own ticket if he's as good as he thinks he is. A new staff with no preconceptions or biases in favor of experienced players, it's a perfect setup for a new recruit with talent. The need is there, the opportunity is there, and he's going to the transfer portal now?

Overall, how do you like the new coaching staff on the defensive side of the ball?

Players needed

Tim Banks as DC

Brooks is either a Pruitt loyalist or was expecting $. Just my opinion. Garner is literally the best DL coach/recruiter in the SEC.

So we still have a coaching spot to fill. Wonder who it goes to. Obviously we don't have a special range coordinator.

Tim Banks as DC

He was going to get paid, but now he does have that opportunity here IMO

We've been reading that Huepel wants assistants who coach the kind of game he wants to play. It looks like he's getting them. I'm not super confident about the new hires, but I am not discouraged by them, either. I think it is possible that Tennessee could be putting good teams on the field, sooner rather than later.
1aiyyn.jpg

Last edited:
I am still puzzled why a new recruit like Brooks would not seize upon an opportunity to get early playing time and a real chance to write his own ticket if he's as good as he thinks he is. A new staff with no preconceptions or biases in favor of experienced players, it's a perfect setup for a new recruit with talent. The need is there, the opportunity is there, and he's going to the transfer portal now?
The answer to your question may lie in the reasons Pruitt was fired for cause. Maybe there were promises that are no longer in place?

A lot and especially considering the situation they've agreed to walk into.

I still think the situation results in the odds being against CJH. However he is giving it his best shot. If you read, listen, and collate what's been said about this staff... there are some common themes. They're mostly young and hungry. One of the repeated themes is that "insert coach's name is a great family man who loves his players and treats them like his own." This staff appears to have strong alignment in their moral/ethical values. They appear to have complimentary personalities. They seem to be flexible and willing to evolve with the game. That's before you look at a pretty obvious effort to get guys who align in their philosophy of play.

IMHO, this looks like a "Moneyball" type of effort to build a coaching staff. Not necessarily the best individual talents but an effort to put together a group whose product is greater than the sum of the parts. I could be wrong. It could be haphazard. It could be a case of not being able to get anyone better. But it looks intentional.

We will see soon enough.

Last edited:
They are our University of Tennessee Defensive Coaching Staff. What are you gonna do? It is.....what it is. I expect the same thing I've always expected. Put these men in situations where they can succeed. Stop the opponent enough times for us to win a few games. Wreak havoc, and cause turnovers.

Most likely Steele stays since he's still around. If he leaves on his own then he loses his pay.

Tim Banks as DC

I like it a lot at the position coaches... they seem more impressive than the DC albeit I still think there is a lot of potential here with them all. I just posted a thread to solicitate thoughts on keeping HT and QC with this staff

I like it a lot at the position coaches... they seem more impressive than the DC albeit I still think there is a lot of potential here with them all. I just posted a thread to solicitate thoughts on keeping HT and QC with this staff
If they hire nick noth he can coach ST/AND LB/DB has coched those positions before

Reactions: vegasvolfan
Hope they keep Steele and title him as Rover. The man has a lot of experience and good recruiter.

VN Store

Back