NCAA Sanctions............

I am good with stripping our losses for 2020/2019, not like there are that many to strip. I agree with you on not punishing the new staff and current players. This was a major mistake on the coaches and a few players, never believed in mass punishment. Find those involved and nail them to the wall with as strict punishment possible (banning for college sports). This would hopefully deter future actions around the league. We now have renewed energy and vision with DW and JH, hopefully the NCAA will not destroy this. I personally believe that when the Vols are winning, is better for the entire league. We have a lot of fans around the world that pumps money into the program via ticket sales, merchandise, pay-per-views games. When Tennessee sucks, these things are likely lower.
Yeah. I probably care more than you about preserving past wins. Mainly because of pride.

When teams are compared, it always involves the year in which they played. But when programs are compared, it usually involves weighing past success over decades. And a win % of .687 versus .683 may mean the difference between having bragging rights over Penn State and Georgia, versus them having bragging rights over us (I just made the #s up; do not know off the top of my head what our win percentage is with and without the 11 wins we collected in 2019 and 2020).

I'd rather lose 3 scholarships for two years than 11 Ws. I'd almost rather lose 5 scholarships than 11 Ws. I would not give up 10 scholarships for 11 Ws. So that's kind of how they balance on the scales, for me.

It's all a moot point, though, because IF it turns out one (or more) of our lads received improper benefits in the same season he played in games we won, we're going to lose those Ws. That is sort of the least negotiable of all the possible penalties.

Last edited:
Any school getting 5 stars regularly has found a way to pay players. Personally i don't have an issue with it and think the NCAA is far too corrupt to get to decide which programs are dirty. However that aside, even 18 year olds that told they have NFL talent are still going to look at cash in hand now vs NFL money in 4 years. And championships are important but green now speaks louder.

Unless a kid has an excellent family structure he is going to take the $100 handshake and nice car route. And imo woild be silly not to do that. Every single program in the power 5 can boast of NFL alum. So if a kid has the talent and more importantly the deaire/work ethic..he can play wherever and get to the next level.
I have always believed Saban is paying his players at Bama. There is no way all of these 5 star studs would go to Bama to possibly ride the bench for 2-3 years, when they could go start at many other top tiered teams. The reason the SEC/NCAA will not investigate Bama is they are currently a big old cash cow. Watch when Saban goes, Bama will fall apart. Everyone thinks Saban is doing this all on his own. It doesn't hurt that he has all of this amazing talent. As an example, just look at the Patriots. Everyone preached Coach B however, when Brady leaves the Pats fail to make playoffs for the first time in almost 20 years. However, Brady goes to a not so great Bucs and wins the Super Bowl in his first year.

Maybe someone has already posted this. If so, please merge.
What penalties have been levied against us, if any? Or, what are the possibilities? I haven't heard anything. Thanks.
Nothing yet. There is a backlog. Remember we initially started the internal investigation. Sure White is working on self imposing penalties.

Keep in mind, we brought Mike Glazier in as our lawyer, and Glazier is known for having something of a magic touch in NCAA investigations.

He's not really a "fixer" because he is supposedly not paying anyone off, but there's no question that Glazier's meticulous research and NCAA connections can ease the pain of the NCAA's gavel.

I would be highly surprised if we get more than a wrist slap based on his past NCAA dealings.

Call me naive but I honestly don't think Alabama is cheating. At least not now. Their "carrot" is very simple, come here and play for the greatest college coach in history, play for championships, and go to the NFL in the 1st round. I think that's all they have to say in 2021 to get high level recruits to go there. Georgia on the other hand, I believe cheats like hell.

I disagree with the Ala. doesn't cheat. Where did Pru come from? As to "paying", (how ever it happens, to sign or per game) I expect it has and is going on all over the landscape. Pruitt and company did not just start doing this at UT. They had been doing it very likely their whole careers and at every stop along the way. I think it became a way for UT to fire him and others with no payout. You see and hear reports of guys from poorer backgrounds showing up in big nice vehicles around campus, wearing lots of gold and or tattoos. In other words things it takes money to have. Yeah "paying" is just a way of life in college sports (all sports) to me.

Reactions: onevol74
Oh, I thought that's what this thread was for - to tell us all about the ncaa sanctions to be imposed on UT.

Call me naive but I honestly don't think Alabama is cheating. At least not now. Their "carrot" is very simple, come here and play for the greatest college coach in history, play for championships, and go to the NFL in the 1st round. I think that's all they have to say in 2021 to get high level recruits to go there. Georgia on the other hand, I believe cheats like hell.
Are you secretly a “Bama” fan ?
B10C28C3-D72D-4881-B376-52FF0EB335B6.gif

Lol! I believe VN knows as much about NCAA penalties as we did about the coaching search. The fans will be the last to know. As it should be.

Dear Naive, bammer is the biggest cheater of us all......always has been......they merely do it better than the rest of us. The Red Elephant Club distributes millions of $ every recruiting cycle to athletes and their families....I understand your premise that they don't need to cheat, but they cheat anyway out of principle, I suppose. I live near the belly of the beast and know a few of the big time donors. The level of sophistication in their means and methods of payouts is astounding, i.e., no McDonald's bags or credit cards, no paper trails.....trust me on this one, my friend

IF TN gets major penalties from NCAA they should appeal and cite the LSU BB scandal where the HC was taped offering money to players and no penalties at all from the NCAA. I believe the NCAA set a precedence there that could be used as a defense for all schools. You could also cite the NC BB scandal and nothing has been done. I think the NCAA has screwed itself now.

Bama did their cheating in Saban's early years. He built the program on cheating. Now, it just runs on the reputation of winning and sending kids to the NFL. No cheating is necessary, at this point. Unless you count the unbelievable beneficial bias, they continue to be the recipient of, in every transaction, decision, and literally every call of every game. The Bama program IS THE SEC BELL-COW. The SEC/NCAA will stop at NOTHING to insure that Bama is in the College Football Playoff, EVERY DAMN YEAR.

UT will vacate most if not all of the wins from the Pruitt era. They'll lose some schollies, but nothing brutal. Probably a one year bowl ban (wouldn't surprise me if UT self-imposes it in 2021). That's it.

UT needs to push the NCAA to get this done quickly. The lingering cloud will be worse than the actual penalties.

Reactions: GoodlettsvilleVol
Auburn basketball has banned itself from the NCAA tournament. NCAA has not imposed it's penalties yet.

LSU imposed a lose of 8 scholarships on it's football program and a self ban from bowl game this past season (big deal) hoping to soften the blow from the NCAA. NCAA still hasn't made ruling.
LSU basketball is still being investigate for level 3 violations (I think). Ward's contract was rewritten so that if they are INVESTIGATED for level 1 or 2 violations, he can be fired with cause.

It takes the NCAA forever to declare the penalties, especially since they started an independent investigative/penalty service a couple years ago. Memphis is still waiting it's penalties for using Wiseman a couple ago even though apparently they admitted everything upfront.

Bama and Ga aren't the only SEC schools getting kids from across the country to come here.
We've had our share of Calif kids come here. Oh yeah, we were paying them too.

We have a lot of posters here complaining about Auburn and others paying recruits that end up signing with them. Guess what, we have been paying them too.

We should never accuse other schools of paying them, especially after we have been caught with a hand in the cookie jar.

Reactions: Raebo
So you believe some of these kids that come from little to no means are suddenly able to afford expense cars and SUVs as soon as they step on Bama’s campus? Everyone cheats only Tennessee snitches on their own coaches.

Maybe someone has already posted this. If so, please merge.
What penalties have been levied against us, if any? Or, what are the possibilities? I haven't heard anything. Thanks.

It won't be near as bad as most on here think. The perfect opportunity for the NCAA to back up their words with saying they want to hold the Coach's and Players more liable than they have in the past. Won't be near as bad as it would have 5-10 yrs ago.

Reactions: feathersax
Keep in mind, we brought Mike Glazier in as our lawyer, and Glazier is known for having something of a magic touch in NCAA investigations.

He's not really a "fixer" because he is supposedly not paying anyone off, but there's no question that Glazier's meticulous research and NCAA connections can ease the pain of the NCAA's gavel.

I would be highly surprised if we get more than a wrist slap based on his past NCAA dealings.

Agree 100%..Won't be that bad. I fully expect Pruitt, Nieds and Felton to not be able to Coach college for a while and penalize the players involved as well.

Prepare yourselves, stop thinking this is going to be minor, we are going to get absolutely hammered. This is one of the most insanely stupid and documented recruiting issues ever caught.

We have literally been caught with our pants down and our hand in the cookie jar. This is much worse than most of you know.

Wait till it all comes out, we are going to be absolutely hammered for this

I would guess a hefty fine, multi year bowl ban, scholarship losses over multiple years, recruiting restrictions, and I’m sure show causes for several of our ex-coaches and recruiting staff may never work in athletics again.

Naive. Top players driving new Escalades. Police oversee them selling dope in their Strip area. Have witnessed both.

If LSU basketball can get off with almost no penalties vs what was done, then we should be fine. Then again you just never know what the NCAA will do and that is the problem. One school gets slammed, one school gets their wrist slapped.

Rumor has it that the NCAA wanted to hand out sanctions to LSU and Kansas in basketball, but the FBI was still investigating and wouldn't let them do anything.....yet.

Reactions: Raebo

VN Store

Back