NCAA Sanctions............

kbear01

A non-kool-aid drinking, Show me the results, VFL
Maybe someone has already posted this. If so, please merge.
What penalties have been levied against us, if any? Or, what are the possibilities? I haven't heard anything. Thanks.

What penalties have been levied against us, if any? Or, what are the possibilities? I haven't heard anything. Thanks.
Probably loss of scholarships and a couple year bowl ban.

Reactions: Catbone

That's the problem just having the dark cloud over the program. Most ppl will assume the worst. Which makes it hard to recruit and move forward. I'd rather get the penalties and start dealing with them and get them out of the way. Although LSU BB Wade has far worse on tape FBI and all but they just let it roll like water off a ducks back, They are still in the BB race with all those bought players that Wade talked about the big A$$ payment. Only seems like UT ever gets punished Pearl 5 year show cause, Donnie Tyndall lifetime show cause. Will Wade gets a raise up for SEC coach of yearo_Oo_O

Bammers hope it be like
source.gif

when it probably will be like
giphy.gif

What really sucks is, that further punishment only serves to hurt the student athletes. The people that did the deeds are all (?) gone and beyond further punishment and will likely wind up getting some money. What a mess.
I agree. The other thing that irks me is they said it could be upto 24 months until the NCAA performs their hearing. That is crap and the NCAA is the worst and most biased organization in the country.

Hopefully because UT took drastic actions, self reported, and cleaned house, the NCAA will show a little mercy. There’s not much they can do to hurt UT much more. We have lost a lot of players to the transfer portal and probably won’t make a decent bowl for a couple of years anyway. They should punish the coaches who were involved from college jobs instead of punishing the new staff and players left behind who have nothing to do with this. It’s not like the administration was condoning anything so there wasn’t a complete lack of instructional control. Perhaps they just fine the university.

If UT gets major penalties then no other NCAA program should cooperate with a NCAA investigation. If UT gets a bowl ban then they should share the collateral information in the report concerning other programs and demand they also receive the same punishment. That includes Georgia and Alabama. I would love to see them excluded from the post season for committing the same violations that occurred at UT. If the SEC or NCAA singles out UT for punishment I would be contacting a national news organization to do an expose on the SEC.

What really sucks is, that further punishment only serves to hurt the student athletes. The people that did the deeds are all (?) gone and beyond further punishment and will likely wind up getting some money. What a mess.
Do we really know if the players who took the cash are gone. Or the players who helped give cash to recruits?

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
If UT gets major penalties then no other NCAA program should cooperate with a NCAA investigation. If UT gets a bowl ban then they should share the collateral information in the report concerning other programs and demand they also receive the same punishment. That includes Georgia and Alabama. I would love to see them excluded from the post season for committing the same violations that occurred at UT. If the SEC or NCAA singles out UT for punishment I would be contacting a national news organization to do an expose on the SEC.

Call me naive but I honestly don't think Alabama is cheating. At least not now. Their "carrot" is very simple, come here and play for the greatest college coach in history, play for championships, and go to the NFL in the 1st round. I think that's all they have to say in 2021 to get high level recruits to go there. Georgia on the other hand, I believe cheats like hell.

Nothing has happened yet, KBear.

We're waiting to see what UT self-imposes, once the investigation is complete. Which, apparently, it isn't quite yet. My guess is that we're in that pre-final stage where we're having quiet discussions with the NCAA about all we've learned, and quasi-negotiating what appropriate penalties might be. With a goal of us punishing ourselves enough to avoid the NCAA adding anything to it later.

Those penalties could be anything, really. Should almost certainly include show-cause penalties on the coaches involved (which is of course no skin off our noses--but this is the one penalty we'll have to wait on the NCAA to find out; UT can't impose it on people no longer employed by us). Might include financial penalties against the university. Will quite possibly include us having to vacate some or all of our wins in 2020 and/or 2019. Could include loss of some scholarships for some number of years. And it could include a post-season ban for a season or more. Any of that is in play, potentially.

Based on what they've said in their first month on the job, I think Danny White and Josh Heupel would rather avoid post-season bans. The football team asked White not to sacrifice short-term opportunity for longer-term rebuilding. He committed to do that for them. So if he has to accept more financial penalty and perhaps even more scholarship reductions in order to protect our avenue to post-season play, I think he'll do that.

Ultimately, the NCAA will formally weigh in on this. It could be months from now. Heck, it could be years from now. But if we get things right, it will be a whimper of a finish to the saga, us already having done what was needed on our own.

Hoping we get the Tennessee-led part wrapped up soon, as in weeks not months. Would love to see it done and out of the way before spring practice starts.

Call me naive but I honestly don't think Alabama is cheating. At least not now. Their "carrot" is very simple, come here and play for the greatest college coach in history, play for championships, and go to the NFL in the 1st round. I think that's all they have to say in 2021 to get high level recruits to go there. Georgia on the other hand, I believe cheats like hell.
If you think Bama is not cheating you are naive. Where do you think Neids and Pruitt learned their trade?

Brave, I get what you're saying. Once the engine is really fine-tuned, warmed up and purring, you no longer need the choke. Got that.

But Bama's still paying players to come to Tuscaloosa. Because that's not the only school that offers a clear path to championships and the NFL. And just because some 5-stars expect $$.

When you can get to the playoffs, and showcase your talents to NFL scouts, at any of five or ten places (Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, etc.), you might check those needs off your list and discriminate among your optional landing spots by how big their McD bags are.

So yeah, Bama's still paying lads to come there.

I think everybody cheats, but it's not that huge of a shocker that Georgia kids want to play for Georgia when they are doing well. It's the kids coming from halfway across the country like Darnell Washington that make you go hmm, especially when we were apparently trying to pay him to come here and he went there.

I think everybody cheats, but it's not that huge of a shocker that Georgia kids want to play for Georgia when they are doing well. It's the kids coming from halfway across the country like Darnell Washington that make you go hmm, especially when we were apparently trying to pay him to come here and he went there.
I wonder who is paying for his “childcare” in Athens?

I think what ever punishments the NCAA will give Tennessee that it could wind up being pretty rough.

Brave, I get what you're saying. Once the engine is really fine-tuned, warmed up and purring, you no longer need the choke. Got that.

But Bama's still paying players to come to Tuscaloosa. Because that's not the only school that offers a clear path to championships and the NFL. And just because some 5-stars expect $$.

When you can get to the playoffs, and showcase your talents to NFL scouts, at any of five or ten places (Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, etc.), you might check those needs off your list and discriminate among your optional landing spots by how big their McD bags are.

So yeah, Bama's still paying lads to come there.

Any school getting 5 stars regularly has found a way to pay players. Personally i don't have an issue with it and think the NCAA is far too corrupt to get to decide which programs are dirty. However that aside, even 18 year olds that told they have NFL talent are still going to look at cash in hand now vs NFL money in 4 years. And championships are important but green now speaks louder.

Unless a kid has an excellent family structure he is going to take the $100 handshake and nice car route. And imo woild be silly not to do that. Every single program in the power 5 can boast of NFL alum. So if a kid has the talent and more importantly the deaire/work ethic..he can play wherever and get to the next level.

Nothing has happened yet, KBear.

We're waiting to see what UT self-imposes, once the investigation is complete. Which, apparently, it isn't quite yet. My guess is that we're in that pre-final stage where we're having quiet discussions with the NCAA about all we've learned, and quasi-negotiating what appropriate penalties might be. With a goal of us punishing ourselves enough to avoid the NCAA adding anything to it later.

Those penalties could be anything, really. Should almost certainly include show-cause penalties on the coaches involved (which is of course no skin off our noses--but this is the one penalty we'll have to wait on the NCAA to find out; UT can't impose it on people no longer employed by us). Might include financial penalties against the university. Will quite possibly include us having to vacate some or all of our wins in 2020 and/or 2019. Could include loss of some scholarships for some number of years. And it could include a post-season ban for a season or more. Any of that is in play, potentially.

Based on what they've said in their first month on the job, I think Danny White and Josh Heupel would rather avoid post-season bans. The football team asked White not to sacrifice short-term opportunity for longer-term rebuilding. He committed to do that for them. So if he has to accept more financial penalty and perhaps even more scholarship reductions in order to protect our avenue to post-season play, I think he'll do that.

Ultimately, the NCAA will formally weigh in on this. It could be months from now. Heck, it could be years from now. But if we get things right, it will be a whimper of a finish to the saga, us already having done what was needed on our own.

Hoping we get the Tennessee-led part wrapped up soon, as in weeks not months. Would love to see it done and out of the way before spring practice starts.
I am good with stripping our losses for 2020/2019, not like there are that many to strip. I agree with you on not punishing the new staff and current players. This was a major mistake on the coaches and a few players, never believed in mass punishment. Find those involved and nail them to the wall with as strict punishment possible (banning for college sports). This would hopefully deter future actions around the league. We now have renewed energy and vision with DW and JH, hopefully the NCAA will not destroy this. I personally believe that when the Vols are winning, is better for the entire league. We have a lot of fans around the world that pumps money into the program via ticket sales, merchandise, pay-per-views games. When Tennessee sucks, these things are likely lower.

Reactions: Mightyvol

VN Store

Back