Brian Jean-Mary Hired As LB Coach

It seems like a lot of the hires pass the initial eye test. Besides coaching (which I will say is a given), the thing that concerns me is over all lack of HS geographic connections in our typical TN/GA/Carolina footprint. A lot of catching up to do. Not that they can’t get there if we have the right folks
Mack is from Memphis and coached at NCCU in Durham, NC. No doubt he has ties in VA, NC, and SC. He's now also coached and recruited in Texas.

Burns coached at Ark St, MTSU, and Auburn so he has at least some familiarity with Memphis and Nashville.

Banks coached at Memphis and Maryland but may help even more due to spending so much time in Ohio and PA. Penn State has good lines into DC, VA, and NJ. UT used to pull good players out of OH and probably could again.

Heupel was at OU that recruits Texas heavily and nationally. He spent the last 3 years in central FL.

Elarbee has spent a couple of stints at MTSU and is from west of ATL. He also spent the last 3 years recruiting central FL.

Golesh doesn't have any obvious history outside of FL and recruiting Texas and Illinois from Iowa State.

Hazle is similar... but I'd feel good about him in front of recruits considering his press conference performance.

Garner? Martinez? Any need?

Jean-Mary looks like a slam dunk hire. He coached and recruited for GT. He spent time at L'ville and Michigan who have both raided Tennessee for recruits. He has ties in both Texas and FL.

Honestly... this looks pretty good and very strategic when you consider where UT needs to get players to be successful. IMHO, the HC has to be a big part of recruiting the home state players. He's the only one who can "build a fence".

Very experienced. Not a name I was familiar with.

All and all, this is a very experienced defensive staff. No one that is learning on the job. Good recruiters.

Will they add another defensive coach?
They have one more position, right? Someone will have to take Special Teams.

I’m not familiar with him. Looks like he spent several seasons working with Charlie Strong, and several good programs. He should have some good contacts from recruiting in different areas I would think. Hopefully he can develop whoever we wind up with at LB this season. If he’s in fact been hired, welcome aboard!
Yeah didn’t see much about producing NFL talent in the article I read and how did we get him from Michigan?

Big time hire. Proven recruiter. Former DC and recruiting coordinator. Proven developer of talent. Defensive staff starting to look really nice. Still one spot left. Have to think it's another LB/ST coach.
What about joe Lorig heard his name mention

This is VolNation. We are gonna totally botch that French last name. I mean, we're gonna splatter it over the wall, rub our hair in it, and run around the house shaking it onto all the furniture.

Ain't no way even 5% of us are going to be pronouncing it right in our heads. I even speak French, and I can't think of a way to explain how it's supposed to sound to those who don't. I mean, "Okay, the 'jean' is not like blue jeans, it's more like a sound halfway between John and Sean...like a 'zh' sound followed by "on," but just barely pronounce the 'n' like an afterhthought. What? Hell, I don't know how to tell you what 'zh' sounds like, it sounds like 'zh.' Just half way between tho...oh, never mind."
Try explaining Marie :p

VN Store

Back