Recruiting

BigOrangeAl 1979

I think Heupel is a bright offensive mind and will def improve our lackluster offense but my concern is can he recruit at a high enough level here to succeed. And is it a huge deal even if he can’t recruit to the level of Butch and Pruitt if he does a better job of in game coaching and coaching the kids up. We all know Butch and Pruitt were good recruiters but terrible in game coaches with their recruits especially Pruitt. I do think JH will get 5 full seasons here to turn it around. What are you guys overall expectations for Heupel?

Last edited:
The 2022 recruiting class is likely to be our lowest in a long time. Why? Complete house cleaning from the whole recruiting staff down, NCAA sanctions and more. This whole thing about TN recruits itself probably won’t work this time. I mean there are still people pushing the lie about the McDs bags.

The perception of the program is the worse it has been in the modern era. The only way JH and his staff pulls a top 25 class is by cheating imo. And we all know we can’t do that. My expectation is for us to be in the top 25 in recruiting for 2023.

Honestly I just want to see some development of offensive players. We’re going to lose a lot of games. People will probably want heupel’s head but it will take time to rebuild roster not only with talent but with talent that fits heupel’s offense

Agree. I don’t think the oh he only has 3 years thing is gonna work this time.

I think Heupel is a bright offensive mind and will def improve our lackluster offense but my concern is can he recruit at a high enough level here to succeed. And is it a huge deal even if he can’t recruit to the level of Butch and Pruitt if he does a better job of in game coaching and coaching the kids up. We all know Butch and Pruitt were good recruiters but terrible in game coaches with their recruits especially Pruitt. I do think JH will get 5 full seasons here to turn it around. What are you guys overall expectations for Heupel?

He requires a particular skill set for his offense, RBs that can catch (really good) out of the backfield and can line up in the slot/WR positions is paramount. If you like seeing the ball in the air, you will get your chance to see it a lot in the offense....1st down or 3rd down, heck all downs. CJH be throwing that rock all over the place. The question is, can it be effective in the SEC against...........you know who?

Go Vols!

His recruiting ability will be on display soon. I don't think he has done will in recruiting, but to win at Tennessee, you need to recruit at a high level and develop develop develop talent. Fingers crossed he can do both.

Reactions: Smokey19rt and Remy
The 2022 recruiting class is likely to be our lowest in a long time. Why? Complete house cleaning from the whole recruiting staff down, NCAA sanctions and more. This whole thing about TN recruits itself probably won’t work this time. I mean there are still people pushing the lie about the McDs bags.

The perception of the program is the worse it has been in the modern era. The only way JH and his staff pulls a top 25 class is by cheating imo. And we all know we can’t do that. My expectation is for us to be in the top 25 in recruiting for 2023.
And people need to understand No. 25-30 in recruiting probably puts us at 11th or 12th out of the 14 team SEC. Heupel needs 5 to 7 years.

Last edited:

And people need to understand No. 25-30 in recruiting probably puts us at 11th or 12th out of the 14 team SEC most years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokey19rt
Honestly I just want to see some development of offensive players. We’re going to lose a lot of games. People will probably want heupel’s head but it will take time to rebuild roster not only with talent but with talent that fits heupel’s offense

LMAO, I don't know whether to laugh or take pity. Why are we going to "lose a lot of games?"

He seems to have done well with a lot lower recruiting classes than we have had lately.
True but we have a lot stiffer competiton than he had. The bottom line is we went 3-7 last year and lost alot of our best players in the portal with the coaching change, throw in NCAA and self imposed sanctions and beating Pitt, South Carolina, Vandy and the 3 cupcakes would be a damn good season.

He requires a particular skill set for his offense, RBs that can catch (really good) out of the backfield and can line up in the slot/WR positions is paramount. If you like seeing the ball in the air, you will get your chance to see it a lot in the offense....1st down or 3rd down, heck all downs. CJH be throwing that rock all over the place. The question is, can it be effective in the SEC against...........you know who?

Go Vols!
His offense will be more dynamic than past years but it’s not exactly the way you make it sound. If you look at past stats at Ucf it is a pretty balanced offense

Outside the top 25 would be pretty disappointing. Even Dooley had us in the top 25, with the exception of his final year.

VN Store

Back