Game Thread: (21/21) Lady Vols vs. (2/3) South Carolina

Would have thought we’d leapfrog Michigan after they lost to Indiana. Could be that they are updated daily but a day behind?
I would have to look at their entire schedule to see who they have won against but it was only their second loss so evidently they have some quality wins as well.

I would have to look at their entire schedule to see who they have won against but it was only their second loss so evidently they have some quality wins as well.

Indiana and Ohio State are the only ranked teams they have played so far. They lost both of those games. I expected to see them drop 4-5 spots losing after their pause.

South Florida won their first games back after the pause but did not play well against bad teams. Apparently that hurts you way more than losing to ranked teams. They dropped 5 or so spots in the Net after barely beating Cincinnati.

Good news for us given we have some big resume boosting wins and really no bad losses even with 5.

Just looked at Michigan's schedule and hard for me to see why they are ranked ahead of us in the Net even with just two losses. No one they have played scares anyone think they have a couple wins over top 20 teams also couple of losses. They have 0 top 10 wins and have won several games against the bottom feeders of the Big Ten.

I think we had slipped to 17 and back up to 15. I saw our sos is now 5 and rpi in the 30's even though they don't use that anymore..

NET Ranking 2021 Womens College Basketball | WarrenNolan.com

We did jump from 20 to 15 in Massey Ratings: Massey Ratings - University of Tennessee Volunteers

I'm not sure what our RPI was before but it's up to 13 now: RealTimeRPI.com Tennessee Volunteers Women's College Basketball Rating Percentage Index (RPI) Ratings - A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet

Reactions: VolBall09
Just looked at Michigan's schedule and hard for me to see why they are ranked ahead of us in the Net even with just two losses. No one they have played scares anyone think they have a couple wins over top 20 teams also couple of losses. They have 0 top 10 wins and have won several games against the bottom feeders of the Big Ten.

I lied. I guess they beat Northwestern. NW will be dropping from the top 25 next week though. They were #24 last week and lost to unranked Nebraska since that poll came out.

That’s the best our RPI has been in a long time. Kellie adding that Indiana game and us winning went a long way. Ended up being a much better game for us to play than the Texas game. Indiana has gone on to play much better than Texas IMO.

I really don't understand the net understood sos and rpi better. I know we have beaten a lot of top teams that have beaten a lot of top teams which is the way it used to work. We have a win over Indiana that has beaten several top 20 teams. Arkansas who has a top ten win, SC which has several top 20 wins, and Kentucky who has a few top 20 wins. So it does not make sense to me.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I can't argue because everyone ranked ahead of us has fewer losses except Oregon who has played a tough schedule don't think it is much tougher than ours yet they are way up there. I don't know if a Georgia win will move us much higher I know a loss could move us lower. All the teams ahead of us would have to lose to someone bad for us to move up from where we are.

I’m not talking about the Coaches Poll or Associated i’m talking about the net ranking thing

Michigan lost and didn’t move because it hasn’t played games it rewards those for missing games. Look at Rutgers... they have 8 make up games or something

Now do i think their seeding will
be higher nope not at all no chance unless we have a complete collapse. But my point was i don’t understand how it works if it’s supposed to reward wins against top competition

I guess i just don’t get it which isn’t all that strange lol

i’m not arguing by the way just confused lol seemed like the game was a wash from the NET ranking standpoint

I’m not talking about the Coaches Poll or Associated i’m talking about the net ranking thing

Michigan lost and didn’t move because it hasn’t played games it rewards those for missing games. Look at Rutgers... they have 8 make up games or something

be higher nope not at all no chance unless we have a complete collapse. But my point was i don’t understand how it works if it’s supposed to reward wins against top competition

i’m not arguing by the way just confused lol seemed like the game was a wash from the NET ranking standpoint
I'm not either most of the teams ranked ahead of us in the Net have records and wins over teams comparable to ours. Michigan is one that does not and there are a couple of others. Why we didn't move past them is something only the person in charge of the Net could explain.

I have complained about the same thing. It does seem to benefit teams who have not been playing. Something we hopefully won’t ever see again 🤞.

Michigan and South Florida both benefitted heavily in the Net rankings from delaying play for so long. We’re almost to the end of the season and both of those teams would have undoubtedly dropped much further already had they been playing. Either from losing to better teams like Michigan or struggling against poor teams like USF.

My thought was that you should automatically drop equivalent to a loss for every other game you miss or something. I know we’ve missed some games but we played a tough schedule before and after our pauses.

One thing I do like about the NET rankings is that it does punish teams for playing in a crappy conference. Losing a close game to a bad team hurt USF more in the NET rankings than most actual losses have hurt teams.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
I really don't understand the net understood sos and rpi better. I know we have beaten a lot of top teams that have beaten a lot of top teams which is the way it used to work. We have a win over Indiana that has beaten several top 20 teams. Arkansas who has a top ten win, SC which has several top 20 wins, and Kentucky who has a few top 20 wins. So it does not make sense to me.
Look again, Indiana has not beaten several top 20 teams, the only ranked teams they have beaten are Northwestern (24), and Michigan.

Look again, Indiana has not beaten several top 20 teams, the only ranked teams they have beaten are Northwestern (24), and Michigan.
Yes I thought they had won that Maryland game but they lost by four. I really don't understand the Net Rankings it is new and seems a little odd. I knew more about sos and rpi but will eventually find out about Net. Right now I see no basis for some of the Big Ten schools high rankings in the Net.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Another positive was our defense on Boston. She had a great night because she’s a great player, she worked for it though.

Almost all of her field goals came off offensive rebounds when we were out of system. She had a very tough time finding shots against our halfcourt D. Forced her to catch at the high post and she made one jumper and one good move against Kasi but that was all. If not for the bogus calls toward the end that put her at the line she would have been under her average.

She is an incredible rebounder. If the ball is near her she’s going to snatch it. Reminds me of Courtney Paris in that way. If the ball was within arms reach of Paris you just knew she was going to end up with it somehow. Boston has that same skill. Fun player to watch, I think she’ll have a great pro career after college.

I think the LadyVols pull the upset and win 78-76.
Do you have any suggestions for numbers to play in the lottery, because except for the score you were right to predict an upset. It is a good chance that many did not predicted this. I liked the spirit the ladies showed in the second half. They did not let the fact that they were down by double digits stop them from hanging tough. I am so proud of this team. They are showing the guts that seamed to have gotten lost during the last 8 years. Go Lady Vols!!!!

EumQSXeXIAINflk

Another positive was our defense on Boston. She had a great night because she’s a great player, she worked for it though.

Almost all of her field goals came off offensive rebounds when we were out of system. She had a very tough time finding shots against our halfcourt D. Forced her to catch at the high post and she made one jumper and one good move against Kasi but that was all. If not for the bogus calls toward the end that put her at the line she would have been under her average.

She is an incredible rebounder. If the ball is near her she’s going to snatch it. Reminds me of Courtney Paris in that way. If the ball was within arms reach of Paris you just knew she was going to end up with it somehow. Boston has that same skill. Fun player to watch, I think she’ll have a great pro career after college.
She did much better against KK than Key scoring baskets. She is a superb rebounder but the work that KK and Key as a duo caused fatigue in the last five minutes of the game. They worked her really hard still had 17 and 16. Cooke was only 6 of 22 when you can stop a key player like that or if they are having a bad game always great chance to win.

She did much better against KK than Key scoring baskets. She is a superb rebounder but the work that KK and Key as a duo caused fatigue in the last five minutes of the game. They worked her really hard still had 17 and 16. Cooke was only 6 of 22 when you can stop a key player like that or if they are having a bad game always great chance to win.

Cooke does that to herself. Saw her make a couple of her usual bad plays in that first half and figured she was in for it. Glad she played like that last night. She’s done that numerous times this season and it hurts them when she is high volume and low percentage.

I think if Dawn could have she would have benched her. They have no depth at the guard spot right now though. Outside of Henderson and Cooke they don’t have anyone else who can handle the ball. She tried Thompson for a split second and she immediately got a steal and then panicked and turned it over and came back out. Russell plays good defense but she doesn’t have anything going offensively aside from attacking really hard and hoping for a foul.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but it seemed a real turning point in the game when the LVs went a bit smaller and played only one big. Moving Rennia to the 4 allowed a much more mobile lineup that could defend and attack. It also helped to have the consistency of Walker at the point, but still have the dramatic play-making of Horston. They wanted to try it last year and it seemed like Rennia was not comfortable and very resistant. Obviously, this points to her growth in a year!

Just watched the Dawn post game interview she made no excuses and said TN was the better team tonight just flat out beat them. Also she did make a good point on pg Henderson. She said she wanted to get her out to rest her but had no other pg to turn to. She also said TY Harris was able to play 40 minutes a game because she was use to it. And with the speed Henderson plays she needs a rest at some point. She also gave Davis her props to.

VN Store

Back