Kellie Jolly Harper

She has a lot to prove. Still losing games they should win and tons of turnovers. Congratulations for tonight.
Learning to win is a process and it takes time. No one can question the improvement over the past 2 years. Sure we have lost games we should have won, but consider this--the late game giveaway at West Va was soon followed by a tough win at Indiana. The late game loss versus Connecticut was followed by a phenomenal come back win against the Gamecocks. I'm thrilled with where we are and where we are headed. There will still be bumps in the road but I have hope, which was lacking previously.

the late game giveaway at West Va was soon followed by a tough win at Indiana.
I was thinking about this earlier this morning. Maybe one of KJH's key decisions was an off court one - the bold idea to take to the road for a short notice game with a ranked team when the Texas game fell thru. We'll go anywhere, play anyone, just give us a game. When they pulled that win off, I think a new level of confidence not seen in this program in a long time was achieved. Remember the video of the Indiana post game locker room? Kellie literally dancing into the room to wild cheers from her team. Rae put it best when she jumped up and exclaimed - PERIOD! PERIOD!

Generally, I think the Kellie-as-Pat nostalgia is overblown and a bit unfair to Harper. But that decision had Pat written all over it - never shrink from any competition. KJH's belief in her team and their belief in her system has really blossomed from there.

She was the right hire. I think she needs to improve her recruiting. We need to increase our talent level IMO we only have players that go 7 deep of players that can play at a high level on a national stage.
“You don’t take donkeys to the Kentucky Derby. You better get you some race horses.” – Head Coach Pat Summitt’s dad after her first loss.

Her girls have the same physique as Pat's first teams, big old country chicks.
Except they don't. At all. The actual saying was Corn Fed Chicks btw. Only KK comes close to that description. The rest are overwhelmingly long and lanky. Or in the case of a couple of the guards, smaller and allegedly quicker. Don't know for sure but I can't see any as exactly "country" girls either. Las Vegas Country Rae Burrell? Other than that . . .

Am I a bad person for getting impatient with the attempts to make KJH the second coming of Pat? Give her credit, she's been a head coach for about 15 yrs now. Obviously her LV experience was foundational but I think its also been helpful for her to have seen other systems, other environments. Maybe that's exactly why KJH > Holly Who Never Left.

She was the right hire. I think she needs to improve her recruiting. We need to increase our talent level IMO we only have players that go 7 deep of players that can play at a high level on a national stage.
“You don’t take donkeys to the Kentucky Derby. You better get you some race horses.” – Head Coach Pat Summitt’s dad after her first loss.

Wins like last night will help with recruiting. If this trend keeps up, then the top players around the country will start to pay attention to UT Ladies again. All winners love winners. The ladies we want to pick us are all winners in high school. It's hard to convince them to come to a average program. This being said,,, they will start to come.

Great win tonight against #2 South Carolina. Especially after falling behind by 16. Way to go ladies.
And we should have bat UConn. The Girls had UConn on the ropes and leading the entire game only to let it slip away in last 5 minutes of the game. I am glad they are figuring it out at the right time
Just before March. This team could make a surprise deep run in March.

I may get chased off of this forum but I see a little bit of Pat Summitt in Kellie. Her demeanor is the same. She is in charge at half time and she does the coaching, not her assistants. I get the feeling that she is hard as nails on her girls but the girls seem to take her criticism in style. Kellie, in yelling at the refs, reminds me of Pat. And she is developing that stare that Pat had. Her girls have the same physique as Pat's first teams, big old country chicks. Although Pat did go away from that plan in her later years. Just my opinion.
I said this when I watched a special on her at Missouri. It was before they even thought about parting with HW. close your eyes and they sound so much alike. I swear she could be pats daughter in looks also.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Ps. I don’t expect any coach ever to fill Pat’s shoes. Impossible task. CKH is light years past WARLICK on in game management and half time adjustments. if she uses what Pat taught her I am good with that. It’s her 2nd year. Give her time. She’s on the right path. Yes some games they should have won. That’s with any team. I am excited for the future!

Our Coach

I like seeing more of Kellie with a tude -- This is a really silly thing-- it s OK for coach to dress like a female which she certainly is - would like to see ditching the high heels and wear LV basketball shoes -- looks a little more jock like and can move better on the sidelines

Reactions: mcannon1
I like seeing more of Kellie with a tude -- This is a really silly thing-- it s OK for coach to dress like a female which she certainly is - would like to see ditching the high heels and wear LV basketball shoes -- looks a little more jock like and can move better on the sidelines

Agree to a point....I like to coach in a nice looking sweatsuit more than in Khakis and a pullover,,,but there's a lot to be said about coaches who dress for business,,,Players get inspiration and familiarity by seeing their coach in similar outfits/shoes like they wore in practice, but on a management note,,,you get the job done through your staff and if you dress like your staff for business, they don't get the same "it's up to us" conveyance, that they do when coach is in business attire. They know when coach isn't dressed out too,,, they are all about their end of the business

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I believe that the Lady Vols maybe one of the most dangerious teams in America. They proved that they can hange in with teams in the top five. They hung tough with UNCONN, hung tough with A&M until they had to foul during the waning minutes of the fourth quarter and made the biggest comeback under KJH's two year history with the LV's. This was shades of the old days under Pat. I am not ready to say she is on the same level as Pat but whatever she said at half time sure put a spark in the ladies. At the beginning of the second half until the end of the game, the ladies showed up and showed out. Davis showed why she is considered one of the best players in the country. Burrell, well if not for her all would have been lost in the first half. Key and KK played their part in making life hell for the USC post players. Key just keeps getting better. She committed some silly fouls but also had a couple of fouls called on her which were questionable. She and KK battled Boston and made her work for her points, even though Boston got away with pushing and hooking. The point guard play was not great but it was good. Horston made some awesome drives to the baskets. I believe she has a load of potential at the two or the three. On a couple of rebounds she showed that she can sky with the best. Overall great comeback, great game.

KJH is an excellent coach. Strategically way better than the previous disaster. In game and halftime adjustments are on point. Pregame planning has been on point.
She will win a championship in the next 2-3 years (or have the Lady Vols in the game). She needs 1 or 2 players to complete team.

I may get chased off of this forum but I see a little bit of Pat Summitt in Kellie. Her demeanor is the same. She is in charge at half time and she does the coaching, not her assistants. I get the feeling that she is hard as nails on her girls but the girls seem to take her criticism in style. Kellie, in yelling at the refs, reminds me of Pat. And she is developing that stare that Pat had. Her girls have the same physique as Pat's first teams, big old country chicks. Although Pat did go away from that plan in her later years. Just my opinion.
While there will never be another Pat Summitt, I think Kelly is doing a great job and has some of the same demeanor and coaching skills as Pat. I actually asked my wife to close her eyes and listen to her talk in the interview after the game and she sounds a lot like Pat!

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
Ps. I don’t expect any coach ever to fill Pat’s shoes. Impossible task. CKH is light years past WARLICK on in game management and half time adjustments. if she uses what Pat taught her I am good with that. It’s her 2nd year. Give her time. She’s on the right path. Yes some games they should have won. That’s with any team. I am excited for the future!
I totally agree that Kellie is a much, much better head coach than Holly. Has enough time passed, however to acknowledge that Holly was a good assistant coach and was promoted to her level of incompetence? A textbook example of the Peter Principle. Following a legend is almost always a recipe for career disaster. Be interesting to see how that works out at UConn and Stanford here in the next few years.

Except they don't. At all. The actual saying was Corn Fed Chicks btw. Only KK comes close to that description. The rest are overwhelmingly long and lanky. Or in the case of a couple of the guards, smaller and allegedly quicker. Don't know for sure but I can't see any as exactly "country" girls either. Las Vegas Country Rae Burrell? Other than that . . .

Am I a bad person for getting impatient with the attempts to make KJH the second coming of Pat? Give her credit, she's been a head coach for about 15 yrs now. Obviously her LV experience was foundational but I think its also been helpful for her to have seen other systems, other environments. Maybe that's exactly why KJH > Holly Who Never Left.

I agree with you but I do understand the impulse.

I have said this before so forgive my repetition, it is clear that Kellie (as a young impressionable college kid) looked to Pat as a role model (and who wouldn't) and has clearly incorporated a lot Pat's mannerisms and interpersonal style into her identity. When you close your eyes and listen to Kellie talk, it is easy to think you are hearing Pat. After the SC game, Kellie was asked about half time adjustments and she responded "to be honest with you, there were no adjustments, we just had a fiery team talk", that was pure Pat.

When people praise Kellie's press conferences and other public appearances, there is a lot of CPS in that mix. Whereas pat primary demeanor was serious, intense, with occassional flashes of her fun loving side, I think Kellie actually has a better balance between those two extremes and she is more animated on the sidelines than Pat.

So, there are enough similarities where I can understand the push to make Kellie, Pat 2.0 but being influenced by CPS is not the same thing as being CPS or coaching like her. Per your point, I have no doubt that there are Summit elements in Kellie's coaching style as well as many other influences and knowledge she has picked up all the long.

On the "corn fed chicks," (or is it big ole country chicks that eat cornfed chicks?), indeed this team is not that at all.

It's funny that CPS pretty much abandoned the corn fed chicks model in the mid 1990's because that style of play and player was no longer a viable way to vie for championships. When I think of Candace Parker, Lex Hornbuckle, Catchings, Glory Johnson, and now Davis and Burrell, among many other LV greats of more recent vintage, corn fed chicks is not first phrase to come to mind.

VN Store

Back