Man boobies-Why are so many coaches out of shape?

If you’re a recruit, does it matter to you what the guy coaching you looks like physically?Say you’ve narrowed it down to 2 schools, both coaches have matching records/same credentials,one has a big ol set of man boobs... do the boobs sway you the opposite direction? GBO
They work nonstop all year and make so much money they can buy food all day and night long.

Too bad coaches don't have access to any nice gym equipment or weights.

Just when I thought Paul Bain and Rod Wilks stories would be our winter undoing, anbailey76, in just short order, has solved the boobie and constant updating issues. Brilliant. Pull any coach with body fat above 10% off recruiting and into the gym for all-day, every day workouts on the breast areas... while rowing or weight-lifting, they can be calling us and keeping us informed. I give you a solid 5 sir/madam!

I’m going to guess here and say that many coaches spent some serious time in the weight room when they were younger. When they get involved in other demanding pursuits, like coaching, some of the muscle turns to fat.

No one expects a coach to be totally athletic. Slightly overweight, dad bod, some softness, all a hazard of travel and long hours.

But when I see an obese individual, especially someone involved with athletics, I wonder if either a hormone issue is going on, or if the person is just an undisciplined sack of crap. And hormone/thyroid issues are pretty rare.

Reactions: kcvols1
So the thread title asks a completely different question than the OP. I'll give my thoughts on both.

Title question: being out of shape has some of the same root causes for a coach as the US population (70% of us are overweight, and half of those are obese): Rich foods, plentiful abundance for most, large portions at restaurants and fast food joints, etc. On top of those societal commonalities, college coaches have notoriously long work days most of the year. First things to give way when you're severely over-worked are (a) leisure, (b) family time, and (c) exercise. A lot of these coaches do very little but work and sleep 10 or 11 months of the year.

OP question: Probably. To some extent. For most kids. Picking a coach is kinda like anything else in life: you're supposed to stay focused on the professional attributes, but how you get along with the person, whether you enjoy being around them, those are going to weigh in, too. A coach who looks ripped probably usually has a 'likeability' advantage. Just human nature.

Nailed another one JP. Well worded thoughtful response.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Every athletic coach I have had in my entire life except my HS indoor track coach was dad-bod at best. He of course was 100lbs lol

If you’re a recruit, does it matter to you what the guy coaching you looks like physically?Say you’ve narrowed it down to 2 schools, both coaches have matching records/same credentials,one has a big ol set of man boobs... do the boobs sway you the opposite direction? GBO
I know I've been swayed by boobs many times in my life....just never on a man though. 00

Bruh can ride a stationary and text recruits at the same time.

There’s no excuse for not exercising the same discipline you demand from others.
I think you have no clue what they are demanding of them. How stupid is this take? My god actually apply this.

I heard from a UT athlete back in the day that Dooley was ripped. Based on that, I don't think being in shape has any correlation to your coaching ability.

VN Store

Back