Spring games

Practice, yep, the same “practice” that has drawn 80,000+ fans across the region pre-Covid.
We get it. I hope everybody plays their spring game with fans, but in the end it's just a glorified scrimmage. Most school administrators are just trying to get through the next 6 weeks or so and get the bulk of the students off campus to remove most of whatever the threat is that still exists. I can see why they wouldn't have an appetite for one more large gathering.

Last edited:
I see no reason UGA won’t have attendance at the spring game. We just went through a season with 20-25% capacity. Makes no sense to now just cancel it or play it without fans. We just literally went through this. Bama is doing the same.
Again, coaches hate spring games and if they can find an out they'll take it

Again, coaches hate spring games and if they can find an out they'll take it
Va, I think you'll need to qualify that.

Coaches _invented_ spring games. Coaches LOVE practicing, and having a capstone scrimmage game to bring it all together is part of practicing.

I think what you mean is that they hate the commercial, public relations, fan-oriented envelope that surrounds the modern Power 5 spring game. Right?

Because I'm thinking if we all turned our backs, the coaches would absolutely, if secretly, hold a spring game to finish out spring camp.

Va, I think you'll need to qualify that.

Coaches _invented_ spring games. Coaches LOVE practicing, and having a capstone scrimmage game to bring it all together is part of practicing.

I think what you mean is that they hate the commercial, public relations, fan-oriented envelope that surrounds the modern Power 5 spring game. Right?

Because I'm thinking if we all turned our backs, the coaches would absolutely, if secretly, hold a spring game to finish out spring camp.

Coaches love spring practice, they get to see their EE and build on or fix what happened in the fall. Coaches hate spring games for a few reasons but mainly they'd rather have another practice vs. running some half hearted scrimmage in front of a half empty stadium risking injury.

I get it, fans love spring games but they're becoming outdated. It would be cool if the NCAA allowed teams to play 1 offseason game kind of like they do in Baseball/ Softball. Let Tennessee bring in like a WCU and play a game in April.

Spring games: Worth it or wasteful?
The argument against holding the spring game is picking up steam, and coaches are questioning the value in using the final spring practice on a half-speed “dog-and-pony show,” as Tulsa coach Bill Blankenship puts it.

Last edited:
With the new staff coming in and importance of buy in, this will be a missed opportunity. I would plan an on-line spring "fling" to give coaches and players a chance to connect with fans. That is entirely possible. Let fans register for a "fan pack" like the old days with "T" sticker for the car, a nice fold out schedule, roster, and other stuff. Fans can order a VIP pack for say $20 plus postage and get a signed 2021 preview publication. Fans tune in to an internet stream or SECN show that lasts a couple hours and really gives the coaches a chance to make their pitch to fans. The actual spring game is one of those things you hold your breath that no one gets seriously injured. GO Vols! VFL. Ready to rock Neyland and win a lot of games. Hopefully another bowl game in a warm, sunny, fun for New Years, kinda place.
Ok, ok your hired!

I think we'll have a spring scrimmage or game whatever you prefer to call it but depending on where the whole covid deal is at that time perhaps no fans

I think we'll have a spring scrimmage or game whatever you prefer to call it but depending on where the whole covid deal is at that time perhaps no fans
Here's some good news on that front from an opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal:

Opinion | We’ll Have Herd Immunity by April

Can't read the entire article without a subscription, but the bit you can read is the core of the message, anyway. That message being, "There is reason to think the country is racing toward an extremely low level of infection."

Really good chance spring games can go on with fans, especially for schools that push spring camp back into the April-May time frame.

Go Vols!

Here's some good news on that front from an opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal:

Can't read the entire article without a subscription, but the bit you can read is the core of the message, anyway.

Really good chance spring games can go on with fans, especially for schools that push spring camp back into the April-May time frame.

Go Vols!
I really hope so, we really need some normalcy back, this covid feels like it's been going on for years, used to look weird with people wearing masks now it's weird when someone doesn't have one on

Can't read the entire article without a subscription, but the bit you can read is the core of the message, anyway. That message being, "There is reason to think the country is racing toward an extremely low level of infection."

Go Vols!
Nope. Maybe by end of July. cases will go down as long as people wear masks abr don’t gather in crowds.

Nope. Maybe by end of July. cases will go down as long as people wear masks abr don’t gather in crowds.
Didn't you read the first part of that article? Cases are already going down. By 77% in the US, it reports. Things seem to be improving more rapidly than expected.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
Didn't you read the first part of that article? Cases are already going down. By 77% in the US, it reports. Things seem to be improving more rapidly than expected.
Don’ you know what herd immunity is? We will be lucky to have it by the end July.

Don’ you know what herd immunity is? We will be lucky to have it by the end July.
Yes, I know what herd immunity is. And it is addressed in the article. Didn't you read what I linked? It is the writer's opinion we'll have herd immunity by April, perhaps.

By the way, the writer of that article is Dr. Marty Makary. He's a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health.

One of the key passages in the full article reads:
Dr. Makary said:
There is reason to think the country is racing toward an extremely low level of infection. As more people have been infected, most of whom have mild or no symptoms, there are fewer Americans left to be infected. At the current trajectory, I expect Covid will be mostly gone by April, allowing Americans to resume normal life.

Last edited:
Florida just canceled their spring game, don't be shocked if Tennessee follows soon. Florida is still having spring practice, just no spring game that fans can actually attend which is what I think UT ultimately does

UGA announced today they are having their spring game with “20-25%” attendance.

1. The Vaccine is available but not to all yet
2. They'll still have spring practice
3. I don't think they'll have an actual game that fans can attend

4. 99 percent survival rate

5. 60%+ inflated death toll (by CDCs own admission)

6. Ability to have partial ocuppancy

7. People don't have to go if they don't want to

Last edited:
JMO! would be really surprised if we cancel the game! We are in a different situation than florida, Primarily with the sudden changes in Coaching staff they will want to create as much enthusiasm and buzz as possible. So if at all possible they will have the Orange and White game.

Yes, I know what herd immunity is. And it is addressed in the article. Didn't you read what I linked? It is the writer's opinion we'll have herd immunity by April, perhaps.

By the way, the writer of that article is Dr. Marty Makary. He's a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health.

One of the key passages in the full article reads:
Dr. Fauci stated today that he believes that we will not have herd immunity until July and maybe not then. He is the National expert and I have known him for 35 years. You can find all sorts of false information or believes on the internet and from articles which have not been peer reviewed. However, there is no need to discuss this because nothing will be done until it happens.

4. 99 percent survival rate

5. 60%+ inflated death toll (by CDCs own admission)

6. Ability to have partial ocuppancy

7. People don't have to go if they don't want to
I understand all of that and agree we have to get back to normal life however it's not up to me or you.

I understand all of that and agree we have to get back to normal life however it's not up to me or you.

It sure as hell shouldn't be up to some wannabe dictator who's not qualified to pickup trash, let alone give health advise, shoving their political agendas down our Throats in order to line their pockets with other people's money.

It sure as hell shouldn't be up to some wannabe dictator who's not qualified to pickup trash, let alone give health advise, shoving their political agendas down our Throats in order to line their pockets with other people's money.
Right but we can't control that either, so here we are

I hope we have a televised Spring game. It always helps with recruiting to have your name out there, especially with the NCAA extending no contact with recruits. Recruits get to see the new offense and how they could fit.

VN Store

Back