Interesting that Hendon Hooker was recruited by Heupel at Missouri

The one who can read and adapt to the field at hyper speed while putting the ball on target wins. No clue which one that may be.

In discussions about the Mack hire, I anticipated him being a big help with VA, NC, and SC due to coaching at NCCU (historically black college in Durham). I did not know that he was from the Memphis area. He was anxious to get back into that area and start building recruiting and coach relationships.

I think many of us kind of questioned that hire... he may turn out to be a great hire and especially from a recruiting perspective.
At this point in time, I like all the coaches that have been hired. I may change my mind later on, but now I think we are in good shape.

Schaeffer and Ainge both were good QBs but Ainge won the job with his play during the Florida game, I'm still good friends with EA he actually lives down the road from me...not a fan of listening to him on the radio sometimes though🤣

You live in LC? Nice!

Reactions: GrizzlyVol
In discussions about the Mack hire, I anticipated him being a big help with VA, NC, and SC due to coaching at NCCU (historically black college in Durham). I did not know that he was from the Memphis area. He was anxious to get back into that area and start building recruiting and coach relationships.

I think many of us kind of questioned that hire... he may turn out to be a great hire and especially from a recruiting perspective.
Mack was at Rice, which might give us a Texas recruit here and there. If Salters becomes our QB, that would help.

If Maurer could stay healthy he would do great things. He is an excellent athlete and good QB. But he is made of porcelain and every time he takes a hit you hold your breath he don’t get hurt.
He is injury prone but his lack of protecting possessions troubled me a lot. Hopefully he's learned from it.

The one who can read and adapt to the field at hyper speed while putting the ball on target wins. No clue which one that may be.
I agree. I think our receivers are going to be at least as important as who's throwing to them. With the up tempo and increased passing game (although CJH run/pass ratio isnt ridiculous) our receivers will definitely need to know how to fight for balls.

...For those vested in one QB or the other... this is going to be torture. For those of us who just want to see good QB play at UT... it is going to be fun.

This could not be more spot on.

The sad part is that if the first guy that they trot our there doesn't light it up, we will have to suffer through the endless "CJH is an idiot for not playing X" here at VN. Lots of things have changed, both at UT and across the game as a whole, but the backup QB will always be the best player on the team, even long after you and I are gone.

Maybe this will fall on deaf ears because “I” said it but this “injury prone” feeling a lot of people have concerning Maurer I feel is unwarranted and here’s why. He didn’t get “injured” vs UGA and was available to finish the game but Pruitt wanted JG. He wasn’t injured by a hit he “took” vs Miss St. He simply landed wrong (On his head) on his own doing. He didn’t get “injured” vs Bama. He just came back too soon. He wasn’t injured vs UK. And He wasn’t injured at all last year outside of the hammy pull in fall camp which was blown out of proportion.

He took quite the shot vs Alabama this past season and got right up and patted the DB on the helmet. Yes he turned his ankle vs Vanderbilt but have you ever did the rubber band trick? You can take a 3 in rubber band at room temp and stretch it 8 inches. Put that same rubber band in the freezer for an hour and it only stretches 4 inches before breaking. Muscles work the same way. Throw a player in cold and you’re asking for problems. That was coaching, not him.

I think the Freshman takes the Job!
I actually do too. His reel is impressive. He’s ran a lot of hurry up rpo, has a gr8 arm and can run. Has the potential to be Tennessee’s big deal QB the next few years. Bout time we had one too. Makes me think of DeShaun Watson some

Maybe this will fall on deaf ears because “I” said it but this “injury prone” feeling a lot of people have concerning Maurer I feel is unwarranted and here’s why. He didn’t get “injured” vs UGA and was available to finish the game but Pruitt wanted JG. He wasn’t injured by a hit he “took” vs Miss St. He simply landed wrong (On his head) on his own doing. He didn’t get “injured” vs Bama. He just came back too soon. He wasn’t injured vs UK. And He wasn’t injured at all last year outside of the hammy pull in fall camp which was blown out of proportion.

He took quite the shot vs Alabama this past season and got right up and patted the DB on the helmet. Yes he turned his ankle vs Vanderbilt but have you ever did the rubber band trick? You can take a 3 in rubber band at room temp and stretch it 8 inches. Put that same rubber band in the freezer for an hour and it only stretches 4 inches before breaking. Muscles work the same way. Throw a player in cold and you’re asking for problems. That was coaching, not him.
I definitely trust you. Hopefully he avoids these kinds of injuries going forward.

Reactions: 1vol8
Hooker has a long way to go to be a competent enough passer for him to see the field. If he's the guy, be prepared for many losses. He was a horrible pazser at VT.

I think the Freshman takes the Job!
I have liked Salter since they started recruiting him. I've said that as a recruit I liked him better than Bailey. However, IMHO, the only way he sees the field this fall is if the other 3 get injured. He has a lot to learn and needs to work on arm and general strength. He runs through tackles at the HS level... he needs more bulk and power to do that at UT. Again, I like him. But he needs a year both mentally and physically.

Hooker has a long way to go to be a competent enough passer for him to see the field. If he's the guy, be prepared for many losses. He was a horrible pazser at VT.
I guess I need you to define "horrible". I watched some games. He looked good. He wasn't as fast as I expected but was a willing and effective runner.

His stats were good the past two years. Completed 61% of his passes for over 1500 yds in '19 with 13 TD's and 2 INT's He rushed for over 300 yards.

Last year he improved to 65% over 1300 yards in a shortened season with 9 TD's and 5 INT's. His rushing increased to over 600 yards.

If UT had had QB play that "horrible" over the past 4 years either Jones or Pruitt would still be the coach.

Schaeffer and Ainge both were good QBs but Ainge won the job with his play during the Florida game, I'm still good friends with EA he actually lives down the road from me...not a fan of listening to him on the radio sometimes though🤣
It was a long time ago, but my memory is that Schaeffer got injured which brought an end to the 2 QB experience in 2004. There was other stuff going on with Schaeffer as well... but I'm pretty sure it was an injury that put him on the bench.

It was a long time ago, but my memory is that Schaeffer got injured which brought an end to the 2 QB experience in 2004. There was other stuff going on with Schaeffer as well... but I'm pretty sure it was an injury that put him on the bench.
Remember Schaeffer being ridiculously mobile. Seems like he got hurt playing against USCjr?

I definitely trust you. Hopefully he avoids these kinds of injuries going forward.
Truth is if you go back and watch the play where he landed on his head, he made the right move. I know people wanted him to slide on that play and maybe in hindsight he should have but he cut inside and had the DB beat. It was a good defensive play reaching back but equally as lucky. If he hadn’t gotten a hand Brian’s left foot it would’ve been a mere slap on the right knee as he passed by and physics say he wouldn’t have gotten him down. So we’re talking mere inches of a completely different conversation surrounding Maurer. THAT play shaped the “injury prone” opinion because it lingered. There’s also a lot about that particular part of the 2019 season that your average fan wouldn’t know. There’s a reason I’ve always said he shouldn’t have played the following week vs Bama. It’s because AT THAT TIME (Miss St) his concussion was minor. This is football and Pruitt knew he would take another shot to the head at some point vs Alabama. I’m going to leave it at that before I go on one of my tantrums. Lol

Reactions: snappervol
If UT had had QB play that "horrible" over the past 4 years either Jones or Pruitt would still be the coach.
This is a reality that many here ignore.
Not so sure about Butch keeping his job, but Pruitt was decent QB play away from a 10 win season in 2019.

If Hendon Hooker is our QB in 2019 we COAST to a 9 win regular season. And I know Hooker isn't even that great of a passer, but JG took almost all year to realize it was a good idea to throw to one of your 3 NFL receivers.

We are a lot closer to being competitive than people realize I think.

IMO, Pruitt's philosophy was to play O and win games like it was done in Fulmer's heyday. I think that's why Fulmer fell in love with him. He wanted ball control O. Field position. And then to win games with your D. I don't think Pruitt ever wanted to play anyone but JG for even a minute because he fit that old school QB mold.

If the attributes he wanted from a QB had aligned with what is needed in the modern game then JG wouldn't have been the best practice performer.

I think Fulmer just wanted to keep both on the roster as an insurance policy on Ainge. I really don't think there was ever any real intent to start BS.
Schaffer did start, as I recall.

Truth is if you go back and watch the play where he landed on his head, he made the right move. I know people wanted him to slide on that play and maybe in hindsight he should have but he cut inside and had the DB beat. It was a good defensive play reaching back but equally as lucky. If he hadn’t gotten a hand Brian’s left foot it would’ve been a mere slap on the right knee as he passed by and physics say he wouldn’t have gotten him down. So we’re talking mere inches of a completely different conversation surrounding Maurer. THAT play shaped the “injury prone” opinion because it lingered. There’s also a lot about that particular part of the 2019 season that your average fan wouldn’t know. There’s a reason I’ve always said he shouldn’t have played the following week vs Bama. It’s because AT THAT TIME (Miss St) his concussion was minor. This is football and Pruitt knew he would take another shot to the head at some point vs Alabama. I’m going to leave it at that before I go on one of my tantrums. Lol
Preach ! I have had the pleasure to meet and speak with BM. Seems like a good young man. I hope he stays healthy this spring/fall, and let the chips fall. I’m pulling for him.

Reactions: LittleVol and 1vol8

VN Store

Back