Interesting that Hendon Hooker was recruited by Heupel at Missouri

UCF recruited Maurer while Heupel was HC.

I trust what they said about an open competition. It will be based on attributes that the previous staff didn't emphasize... which is why JG kept the job. They said the guy who wins out will make good, timely decisions and then deliver the ball on target. They make the QB much more responsible for decision making and directing the O than any of the previous staffs. You can't run as fast as they want to run and "check with me" on every play for adjustments or play changes.

I don't know who that favors.... because Maurer and Bailey weren't required to do it, Salter is brand new and Hooker hasn't been in this specific system.

If I were a betting man... I'd say Hooker has an advantage leading in. He has played more and played in a much more similar O. Based on what we've seen of them as Vols, Maurer is much more athletic than Bailey and has a better arm. Bailey may have an accuracy advantage which is pretty big and appeared to be decisive in a good way. Maurer looked better from a decision making standpoint as a Fr than as a Soph. No real idea what that might mean- just an observation.

Maurer and Hooker have both been sidelined by injuries. If one or both are injury prone... that becomes important.

For those vested in one QB or the other... this is going to be torture. For those of us who just want to see good QB play at UT... it is going to be fun.

Heupel and his staff have more contacts than we think. The OC and WR coach especially have some reach beyond the Mizz and UCF recruits.
In discussions about the Mack hire, I anticipated him being a big help with VA, NC, and SC due to coaching at NCCU (historically black college in Durham). I did not know that he was from the Memphis area. He was anxious to get back into that area and start building recruiting and coach relationships.

I think many of us kind of questioned that hire... he may turn out to be a great hire and especially from a recruiting perspective.

I trust what they said about an open competition. It will be based on attributes that the previous staff didn't emphasize... which is why JG kept the job. They said the guy who wins out will make good, timely decisions and then deliver the ball on target. They make the QB much more responsible for decision making and directing the O than any of the previous staffs. You can't run as fast as they want to run and "check with me" on every play for adjustments or play changes.

I don't know who that favors.... because Maurer and Bailey weren't required to do it, Salter is brand new and Hooker hasn't been in this specific system.

If I were a betting man... I'd say Hooker has an advantage leading in. He has played more and played in a much more similar O. Based on what we've seen of them as Vols, Maurer is much more athletic than Bailey and has a better arm. Bailey may have an accuracy advantage which is pretty big and appeared to be decisive in a good way. Maurer looked better from a decision making standpoint as a Fr than as a Soph. No real idea what that might mean- just an observation.

Maurer and Hooker have both been sidelined by injuries. If one or both are injury prone... that becomes important.

For those vested in one QB or the other... this is going to be torture. For those of us who just want to see good QB play at UT... it is going to be fun.

Me me me!!!! Don't care who it is, just want a QB that can lead us and be productive. Def going to be a juggling act though. Coach Heupel, along with Golesh, and Halzle, have to hope they can get it right the 1st time. I would assume 1 maybe 2 will transfer out if they don't think they will see the field next year.

Reactions: Ratvol

Yeah the previous staff had no idea what they were doing at quarterback. I remember Fulmer running a 2 qb system for a game or two with Brent shaeffer and Eric ainge to see who had the better live game performances and feel like that’s what Pruitt tried to do for about a year and a half during his tenure as well but didn’t land on the right guy. Practice isn’t all that matters. You definitely play the guy who rises up (or has the most potential to) on Saturdays.

Ainge might be the last time we let a QB make on-field decisions. Seems like they have had to check with the sideline before snapping ever since then. It will be good to develop a field general who can take control and call based on what he sees on the field.

Reactions: BigDave
Missoula?

😂😂 I didn’t spell check. It was supposed to be Mizzou. But I was stationed in Montana many many moons ago and fought in the state tournament in Missoula. 😂😂 Took 3rd in sparring and 2nd on Kata’s. Missoula is a beautiful area of the state. I used to drive through the west side, pick a mountain, and climb it. Afterwards I’d look down on my truck and it would be about the size of an ant. Climbing was great exercise. Montana has a lot to offer. Jobs isn’t one of them.

Yeah the previous staff had no idea what they were doing at quarterback. I remember Fulmer running a 2 qb system for a game or two with Brent shaeffer and Eric ainge to see who had the better live game performances and feel like that’s what Pruitt tried to do for about a year and a half during his tenure as well but didn’t land on the right guy. Practice isn’t all that matters. You definitely play the guy who rises up (or has the most potential to) on Saturdays.
Schaeffer and Ainge both were good QBs but Ainge won the job with his play during the Florida game, I'm still good friends with EA he actually lives down the road from me...not a fan of listening to him on the radio sometimes though🤣

Hendon was mentioned in the PC as someone whos played quite a bit of ball, I believe he'll be a major player in the QB room

I still think Mauer is going to surprise some folks playing in this system... either way... it's good to have options!!
If Maurer didn’t take money, and was being paid. Isn’t that the rumors flying around? Isn’t that the reason he didn’t play in the Texas A&M game with Gray??

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
I still think Mauer is going to surprise some folks playing in this system... either way... it's good to have options!!
If Maurer could stay healthy he would do great things. He is an excellent athlete and good QB. But he is made of porcelain and every time he takes a hit you hold your breath he don’t get hurt.

IMO, Pruitt's philosophy was to play O and win games like it was done in Fulmer's heyday. I think that's why Fulmer fell in love with him. He wanted ball control O. Field position. And then to win games with your D. I don't think Pruitt ever wanted to play anyone but JG for even a minute because he fit that old school QB mold.

If the attributes he wanted from a QB had aligned with what is needed in the modern game then JG wouldn't have been the best practice performer.

I think Fulmer just wanted to keep both on the roster as an insurance policy on Ainge. I really don't think there was ever any real intent to start BS.

If Maurer could stay healthy he would do great things. He is an excellent athlete and good QB. But he is made of porcelain and every time he takes a hit you hold your breath he don’t get hurt.
That or he's just had a tough streak. It happens.

IMO though that IS the major concern with Maurer. If he can't stay healthy then you cannot invest in him as your starter.

IMO, Pruitt's philosophy was to play O and win games like it was done in Fulmer's heyday. I think that's why Fulmer fell in love with him. He wanted ball control O. Field position. And then to win games with your D. I don't think Pruitt ever wanted to play anyone but JG for even a minute because he fit that old school QB mold.

If the attributes he wanted from a QB had aligned with what is needed in the modern game then JG wouldn't have been the best practice performer.

I think Fulmer just wanted to keep both on the roster as an insurance policy on Ainge. I really don't think there was ever any real intent to start BS.

I will admit I hoped that style had worked since that's the football I prefer. I don't think JG succeeds though in any system at the. SEC level. Game was just too fast for him. He would have been fine at the NAIA level.

I will admit I hoped that style had worked since that's the football I prefer. I don't think JG succeeds though in any system at the. SEC level. Game was just too fast for him. He would have been fine at the NAIA level.
I was gonna say peewee level but ill settle for NAIA

Reactions: Ratvol

Excellent summary of the QB situation. Good, unbiased analysis--which is hard to come by on VN about this topic.

VN Store

Back