'22 PA OL Ryan Brubaker (S. Carolina commit)

“Coach [Glen] Elarbee actually offered me about two days before he was officially announced by the university,” the four-star told Volquest. “I just waited until he was official before I made it known.
“We had a really nice talk and he seems like a real quality guy. We talked about family and the weather – because that’s crazy just about everywhere right now. It was just some basic stuff for our first chat.”
Elarbee pointed towards Brubaker’s explosiveness as a reason for sticking out on film. “One of his big talking points was about how the offense will be up-tempo,” the offensive tackle said. “Up-temp and fast break football. That’s the plan at Tennessee. He also said they want offensive linemen who understand what they’re trying to do in that scheme. “I feel like that works well with me because I move around on the offensive line. I played every position but center this past season.”
“He was really honest with me and explained that he’s only been on the job for a few days. He said he’s still trying to learn on the go,” Brubaker said of Elarbee. “He wasn’t going to give me a fake spill. He talked about wanting to give Tennessee a fresh new start. “He’s still learning the attitude and culture of the school. He was really passionate about the coaching staff and what they believe they can accomplish at Tennessee in the future.” The 6-foot-6, 280-pound athlete has 23 offers on the table right now with everyone having a ‘fair shot’ at current standing. Whether or not in-person recruiting returns and when it could return will play a major factor the rest of the way for Brubaker as the family is already starting to map out some trips. And as a result, there’s no plans right now for a commitment date.
“They always say nothing good comes from committing after your senior season,” Brubaker said. “I have no clue what my schedule looks like right now because I don’t know when I can start taking those visits. I don’t know how much time I’ll have – so that’ll affect it.” With Elarbee already establishing a relationship with the Cocalico standout, Heupel will soon join in the pitch. And even though the four-star hasn’t spoken to Heupel just yet, he already has a ton of respect for the new boss in Knoxville. “I don’t know much about him right now, but I look forward to talking with him,” Brubaker concluded. “I certainly know he is going into an uphill battle and it takes some real gumption to want to talk into that. “To take on that challenge, it says a lot about who he is and his character. Not every guy would want to step into a role like that. I think it’s a good quality to have and one that probably wouldn’t be in a news article or press release.”
-VQ

Great football last name .... Brubaker. He needs to add on 45 more pounds if he plays offense in the SEC.
Not in the offense that JH is gonna run. He wants long, fast guys with balance who can pull. That's not normally a trait of 340 lb linemen.

Not in the offense that JH is gonna run. He wants long, fast guys with balance who can pull. That's not normally a trait of 340 lb linemen.
Remember how Butch wanted fast 270 lb linemen? And they got physically beat by bigger defenses. My understanding is that Heupel likes big and physical but also fast. Weren't his linemen at UCF pretty stout?

Reactions: volKano and PA Vol
Remember how Butch wanted fast 270 lb linemen? And they got physically beat by bigger defenses. My understanding is that Heupel likes big and physical but also fast. Weren't his linemen at UCF pretty stout?
They want tall, athletic linemen. But they also would like them to be around 320 or so. The kids just have to show the body type to carry 300+ and still be able to move.

He only needs to add about 20 - 30lbs and he could do that by just adding muscle. Like you said he has plenty of time.
Agreed. Taylor Lewan is listed at 6'7" 315 for the Titans and played in college between 300-310, he's done ok I would say.

Easy for a 6'6" 17year old kid to put on 20-30lbs of muscle with just a little bit of effort.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Agreed. Taylor Lewan is listed at 6'7" 315 for the Titans and played in college between 300-310, he's done ok I would say.

Easy for a 6'6" 17year old kid to put on 20-30lbs of muscle with just a little bit of effort.
Ramon Foster on 104.5 said a couple weeks back that you want kids coming out of HS to be in the 270-280 range so coaches can focus on good weight and not trying to rid bad weight, that typically comes with bad habits.

“I certainly know he is going into an uphill battle and it takes some real gumption to want to talk into that. “To take on that challenge, it says a lot about who he is and his character. Not every guy would want to step into a role like that. I think it’s a good quality to have and one that probably wouldn’t be in a news article or press release.”
this part right here. this is what sold me on this kid.

Moved: From outside the Rivals250

Brubaker is new to the recruiting scene but he's already making a strong impression. The 6-foot-6, 280-pound tackle is very light on his feet but delivers punishing blocks. Brubaker drives defenders off the ball and makes important blocks at the second and third level.

He hasn't gotten much work against elite pass rushers but he's shown the skills and patience to excel as a pass blocker. Brubaker's recruitment would have already exploded had college coaches been able to get out on the road to evaluate players this past fall but Ole Miss, Missouri, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Duke, and a few others have extended offers so far. - Adam Friedman, East Coast recruiting analyst
- Rivals

From outside top250 to #149

Ramon Foster on 104.5 said a couple weeks back that you want kids coming out of HS to be in the 270-280 range so coaches can focus on good weight and not trying to rid bad weight, that typically comes with bad habits.

There are numerous examples of All-Pro NFL linemen (especially tackles) who entered college at 280 or below and even at other positions. I did the research a while back. They are athletic, and the college strength program adds the good weight. So, the criticism of recruiting light linemen is overblown.

Lane Johnson, Tyron Smith, David Bakhtiari, Ryan Ramczyk, Anthony Castonzo, Eric Fisher, Russell Okung, Elgton Jenkins, Joe Thuney, Ali Marpet, Zack Martin, and even the future Hall of Famer Joe Thomas were all listed under 280 out of high school. Lane Johnson was a high school QB. While some of Alabama's big heralded O-linemen have had good NFL careers, most do not end up All-Pros.

Reactions: UTMVol76
There are numerous examples of All-Pro NFL linemen (especially tackles) who entered college at 280 or below and even at other positions. I did the research a while back. They are athletic, and the college strength program adds the good weight. So, the criticism of recruiting light linemen is overblown.

Lane Johnson, Tyron Smith, David Bakhtiari, Ryan Ramczyk, Anthony Castonzo, Eric Fisher, Russell Okung, Elgton Jenkins, Joe Thuney, Ali Marpet, Zack Martin, and even the future Hall of Famer Joe Thomas were all listed under 280 out of high school. Lane Johnson was a high school QB. While some of Alabama's big heralded O-linemen have had good NFL careers, most do not end up All-Pros.

Have you seen Joe Thomas now???

Reactions: VolGee4
Have you seen Joe Thomas now???

I hadn’t until I saw your post and then looked it up. Impressive. Several NFL linemen have been able to do that. I think it was Mike Golic one day who explained how it’s easier for football players, especially linemen, to lose weight over basketball players. While playing, the linemen have to eat a certain number of calories to maintain playing weight and can cut that after retirement. Basketball players expend so much energy during their playing careers that they put on the weight when they retire because they can’t keep up with losing calories.

Reactions: UTMVol76

VN Store

Back