After watching the news Conf. Which coach impressed the most?

BruisedOrange's Tip-O-the-Day on Forum Posts and Resumes:

To make the best impression, check twice for typos any time you reference "drunk" or "drinking." ;)
Ok. that was funny! But, hey, it's 5 oclock somewhere. I would ask, however, "When is it EVER ok to reference drinking on a resume, even if you check twice for typos?"

BruisedOrange's Tip-O-the-Day on Forum Posts and Resumes:

To make the best impression, check twice for typos any time you reference "drunk" or "drinking." ;)

SonofUT62s tip of the day. Pedigo is a VN treasure. Please don’t try to inhibit the rest of us from enjoying “the full Pedigo”.

I’m not going to lie. When Halzle said he’s going to let the QB go out and sling it all over the field without holding them back, and scaring them for making mistakes I did the corny fist pump when I stepped out of my Silverado.

They can only impress me with on the field results.
1081.gif

Impressions:

As a group:
  • They're young. The OLine coach is the only one you could even start to call "grizzled."
  • They're really comfortable together. The RB coach is still figuring out how he fits, but everyone else seem like they're almost family. Not quite, but almost.
  • It's a Josh Heupel fan club. To a man, they really respect Heupel, both for his character and for his genius.
  • They're excited. They seem really eager to get their offense installed in Knoxville, to show the world what they can accomplish here.
Individually:
  • Josh Heupel seems He's like your cousin Larry, if your cousin Larry was a football shaman. Just the dude you've known forever, nothing special, except you know, a genius at the game of football. That's the impression he gave me. Hard seeing him as the "old man" of the program, but easy seeing him as the motive force behind the coaching staff.
  • Alex Golesh (OC) is the 'wonk' of the group. Which is a really good thing for the OC to be. I mean, this is Josh's offense, but it seems like Alex is out-Joshing Josh in his devotion to this offensive scheme, and his understanding of its application. I think the two of them are certainly 100% on the same sheet of music. Again, a very good thing to be able to say about an offensive-focused HC and his OC. The most comfortable of the group in front of the media.
  • Glen Elarbee (OLine) is maybe no older than Josh, but his salt-and-pepper goatee makes him look like the grizzled veteran of the group. I think he's the most traditional of the group, too, if you're thinking old-time football coach. He wants the lads to get out there and get at it physically. Blood, mud and snot kind of fella, it seems.
  • Kodi Burns (WRs) is the coach who seems most likely to strap on cleats and join his receivers running routes. Big on identifying with his lads, understanding them, empathizing. Think he'll probably have the receiving corps dialed into the complexity of the offense and willing to play a bigger role in finding success. Look for receivers coached by Kodi to be better at scrambling and finding a way to get open once the play gets extended, more than we've seen in several years.
  • Joey Halzle (QBs) is the one under Josh's wing. Comes across as the youngest of the coaches, and the most nervous (he was drumming the podium with his thumb as fast as a rabbit kicks, at one point). But he's super comfortable with Josh, which is going to be important knowing that Josh will spend plenty of time with the QBs as well. This fella is a Josh Heupel protégé more than any of the others.
  • Jerry Mack (RBs) is the new guy in this crowd. I don't think he's ever worked with Josh before, has he? But he does have a ton of valuable experience, both as a head coach (North Carolina Central University, of the FCS -- won conference championship his 3rd season) and recruiting in the southeastern US. He's from Memphis, so knows the state, and he emphasized this a few times.
Just my impressions.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
All this staff seems to be on the same page and ready to hit the ground running and throwing. Kodi Burns seem to excite to coach his guys up and Bleed Orange. Go Vols.
I liked them all. The main thing I liked are the coaches that have coached with CJH.. They believe in what they are doing and it's apparent listening to them talk. They have a plan and direction already..

Impressions:

As a group:
  • Young. The OLine coach is the only one you could even start to call "grizzled."
  • Comfortable together. The RB coach is still figuring out how he fits, but everyone else seem like they're almost family. Not quite, but almost.
  • Josh Heupel fan club. To a man, they really respect Heupel, both for his character and for his genius.
  • Excited. They seem really eager to get their offense installed in Knoxville, to show the world what they can accomplish here.
Individually:
  • Josh Heupel seems He's like your cousin Larry, if your cousin Larry was a football shaman. Just the dude you've known forever, nothing special, except you know, a genius at the game of football. That's the impression he gave me. Hard seeing him as the "old man" of the program, but easy seeing him as the motive force behind the coaching staff.
  • Alex Golesh (OC) is the 'wonk' of the group. Which is a really good thing for the OC to be. I mean, this is Josh's offense, but it seems like Alex is out-Joshing Josh in his devotion to this offensive scheme, and his understanding of its application. I think the two of them are certainly 100% on the same sheet of music. Again, a very good thing to be able to say about an offensive-focused HC and his OC. The most comfortable of the group in front of the media.
  • Glen Elarbee (OLine) is maybe no older than Josh, but his salt-and-pepper goatee makes him look like the grizzled veteran of the group. I think he's the most traditional of the group, too, if you're thinking old-time football coach. He wants the lads to get out there and get at it physically. Blood, mud and snot kind of fella, it seems.
  • Kodi Burns (WRs) was the coach who seemed most likely to strap on cleats and join his receivers running routes. Big on identifying with his lads, understanding them, empathizing. Think he'll probably have the receiving corps dialed into the complexity of the offense and willing to play a bigger role in finding success. Look for receivers coached by Kodi to be better at scrambling and finding a way to get open once the play gets extended, more than we've seen in several years.
  • Joey Halzle (QBs) is the one under Josh's wing. Came across as the youngest of the coaches, and the most nervous (he was drumming the podium with his thumb as fast as a rabbit kicks, at one point). But he's super comfortable with Josh, which is going to be important knowing that Josh will spend plenty of time with the QBs as well. This fella is a Josh Heupel protégé more than any of the others.
  • Jerry Mack (RBs) is the new guy in this crowd. I don't think he's ever worked with Josh before, has he? But he does have a ton of valuable experience, both as a head coach (North Carolina Central University, of the FCS -- won conference championship his 3rd season) and recruiting in the southeastern US. He's from Memphis, so knows the state, and he emphasized this a few times.
Just my impressions.

Go Vols!
What he said! 👆

Impressions:

As a group:
  • They're young. The OLine coach is the only one you could even start to call "grizzled."
  • They're really comfortable together. The RB coach is still figuring out how he fits, but everyone else seem like they're almost family. Not quite, but almost.
  • It's a Josh Heupel fan club. To a man, they really respect Heupel, both for his character and for his genius.
  • They're excited. They seem really eager to get their offense installed in Knoxville, to show the world what they can accomplish here.
Individually:
  • Kodi Burns (WRs) was the coach who seemed most likely to strap on cleats and join his receivers running routes. Big on identifying with his lads, understanding them, empathizing. Think he'll probably have the receiving corps dialed into the complexity of the offense and willing to play a bigger role in finding success. Look for receivers coached by Kodi to be better at scrambling and finding a way to get open once the play gets extended, more than we've seen in several years.
  • Joey Halzle (QBs) is the one under Josh's wing. Came across as the youngest of the coaches, and the most nervous (he was drumming the podium with his thumb as fast as a rabbit kicks, at one point). But he's super comfortable with Josh, which is going to be important knowing that Josh will spend plenty of time with the QBs as well. This fella is a Josh Heupel protégé more than any of the others.
Just my impressions.

Go Vols!
Thanks

These coaches are going to win at UT. They will produce an enjoyable product to watch and cheer for. They seem to be men of character who will shoot straight with the young men who they coach and put the players in positions to compete and win.
I hope they do but sadly they are already behind the 8 ball.

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
I liked them all. Win or lose, I expect them to have this team respected. I look forward to teams not looking forward to our game on the schedule.
We could be really good with an average defense. I see the Heupel offense harder to defend than the Leach Air Raid.

Reactions: VolNExile and jim43
I know these men are being paid well to do it, but you've got to respect the fact that they all signed up to run into the burning building that is Tennessee Football without knowing what the NCAA sanctions will be, what kind of recruiting and scholarship restrictions and post-season bans they'll face, nor what the long-term impact might be on their future coaching careers if it all burns to the ground. They may not succeed, but I'm going to wish them the best of luck and root for them until they give me good reason not to.

VN Store

Back