Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

UConn getting a big head on the BY board. Several stating that only Stanford has a team that could beat them in the tourney if “UConn has an off night”. They are drinking too much kool aid right now, forgetting the close calls they have had this year already, one of which was at home and took a miraculous effort by one player to even get to OT. Whenever a team relies too much on one player for its offense, as this current version of Huskies does, often finds an early exit from the tourney. As talented as PB is, she will be the focus of every team in the tournament, and she cannot have one off nite or even average night to be sure if they think they are going to hang another banner. There are 5-6 teams this year that have 3 or more players capable of carrying their team on any given night, UConn has one.

UConn getting a big head on the BY board. Several stating that only Stanford has a team that could beat them in the tourney if “UConn has an off night”. They are drinking too much kool aid right now, forgetting the close calls they have had this year already, one of which was at home and took a miraculous effort by one player to even get to OT. Whenever a team relies too much on one player for its offense, as this current version of Huskies does, often finds an early exit from the tourney. As talented as PB is, she will be the focus of every team in the tournament, and she cannot have one off nite or even average night to be sure if they think they are going to hang another banner. There are 5-6 teams this year that have 3 or more players capable of carrying their team on any given night, UConn has one.

UConn getting a big head? The team? Or you mean a couple of fans saying this? Come on, there are plenty on that board that don't think that is true. I'm pretty sure I found the thread you are talking about. It was actually ONE poster that said that. But it's more fun for you to make this up as if it was all the posters on the BY.

Pretty much, it's wide open. Several teams can win it.

I'm just curious what the 5-6 teams are that have 3 or more players carrying their team on every given night?

Stanford? They have 4 players averaging double figures. 13.9, 13.9, 11, 10.3.

Louisville? They have 4 players averaging double figues. 20.8 (Evans), 12.3, 11.5, 11.3.

NC State? They have 4 players averaging double figures. 15.6, 14.2, 13,1, 11.2

Baylor? They have 4 players averaging double figures. 17.9, 12.6, 11.7, 10.2

South Carolina? They have 3 players averaging double figures and one close enough. 15.7, 13.6, 12, 9.9

And UConn? They have 4 players averaging double figures. 21.1, 15.3, 12.7, 10.1.

Looks to me that UConn has more than one player that can come through in a game.

Didn't Bueckers have an off night against Tennessee? They still won. Williams had 20 points. Against DePaul? Williams had 29 points. Nelson-Ododa led the team in scoring 3 times this year.

Bueckers is a great player but UConn is far from a one player team.

And while that three pointer that hit the back of the rim and went though, UConn had a lead at that point. It closed out the game, it didn't win it. Talk about miraculous, did you forget about that half court shot to close the half for South Carolina?

And don't forget about Rutgers!!!!.....lol.

That can happen to any team with an "off" night? South Carolina had their best defender (Beal) on Bueckers and they still couldn't stop her! If Boston has an off game, down go the Gamecocks! All of the top teams have scenarios in which they'll lose a game! Arkansas lit up UConn and beat them! Just a couple of days before the UConn game, SC was crowing about having the best back court in DI WCBB? Then the freshman Bueckers schooled them? Here's the SC tweet:

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
It does make me happy to see the Connies and Clucks going after each other on this thread. May they both suffer misery in March! If not the Lady Vols I’ll root for Stanford, Baylor, IU or of course Rutgers😏
I'm no friggin' Connie! Thanks for the RU shout out!! You're awesome Lucy!!

Reactions: Winston Smith
I'm no friggin' Connie! Thanks for the RU shout out!! You're awesome Lucy!!
Do you think Rutgers will make the Tournament? I have not seen them play because it seems many of their games have been postponed. I do know about their guard. I don't know how to spell her last name but it starts with an A and she is fun to watch.

What if they meet in the semifinals?
What do you think of your other favorite team Duke not playing this season?
If they are seeded 1 and 2 they can only meet in the finals. But I'm sure they would be thrilled to meet anyone if they get to the final four.

We will find that out in March.

Not sure why you think Duke is my other favorite team. But to answer your question, it was their choice. I see so many teams managing to get their games in, I'm not sure why they couldn't.

Bummed about the WV/Baylor postponement. Was really looking forward to that matchup. Could still decide a share of the Big 12 title if Baylor has a slip up in one of their remaining games. Good chance Texas will give them a good game after getting spanked the other day.

You know Schaefer didn’t enjoy one minute of that.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
And Chelsea would like to get another chance to score 37 points! LOL. Seriously though, UConn had no answer for Chelsea. BTW, neither did we, she scored 30 points on us.

Most teams haven’t had an answer. She’s gonna score, and you’re gonna like it. Fun player to watch.

We made her work a lot harder though. She was 9-26 .346 against us 13-21 .619 against UCONN. She scored at will from all over the floor. Usually with a clear look at the rim after torching her defender.

When she is hot, she is hot.
Usually when a player has a big scoring game the next time she plays UConn she gets shut down. Correa from St. John's scored 30 points against UConn the first game they played earlier this season but scored only two tonight. She is very good.

VN Store

Back