Lady Vols - Lack of Ball Security

Spook1

Ancient Vol
Texas A&M had 10 ball steals against the Lady Vols. In the prior Kentucky game there were 11 steals by Kentucky. That is absolutely not ball security. In turnovers the Lady Vols had 15 while Texas A&M had only 7 turnovers. If the Lady Vols could control ball security, they are capable of beating most of the top 10 teams. Hopefully they can pull off an upset on South Carolina.

Last edited:
Texas A&M had 10 ball steals against the Lady Vols. In the prior Kentucky game there were 11 steals by Kentucky. That is absolutely not ball security. In turnovers the Lady Vols had 15 while Texas A&M had only 7 turnovers. If the Lady Vols could control ball security, they are capable of beating most of the top 10 teams. Hopefully they can pull off an upset on South Carolina.
It is more of a gift than a steal. Our passes are lazy and most aren't even good decesions.
We have NO ONE to play point guard. Horston tries to be cute with the basketball with all the spins when she needs to just play ball. I still do not see what coaches see in Suarez, even with a made basket every once in a while, she is two slow, her girl gets around her with ease and that is what causes a lot of problems, and Walker and Salary does the same thing. We are just an average point guard from being a great team.

It is more of a gift than a steal. Our passes are lazy and most aren't even good decesions.
We have NO ONE to play point guard. Horston tries to be cute with the basketball with all the spins when she needs to just play ball. I still do not see what coaches see in Suarez, even with a made basket every once in a while, she is two slow, her girl gets around her with ease and that is what causes a lot of problems, and Walker and Salary does the same thing. We are just an average point guard from being a great team.
A good example of this was late in the game, Burrell had a wide open 3 from the top of th key. Shed turned it down, drove into the lane and lost the ball on a triple team. They hit a fast break 3. If she had taken the 3 at the top of the key,,a shot which she hits about 50% of the time, the result would have been a 6 point difference in the game. Many of their turnovers are just poor decisions and lazy passes.

I thought they had a very good chance of winning yesterday. They will continue to improve. I do think our defense in the paint could improve if the defense would play with a wider base. They seem to make themselves narrow rather than wider which means they have a lot of reach in fouls.
They have proven that they can play with the top rated teams. They had opportunities to beat UConnn and A&M. The USC game should be interesting. Would love to see them win this one.

I fail to see any reason(s) for Horston to play pg. She was 1-10 yesterday. A best she comes out even in the stats with assists/rebounds to off-set her TO's and poor shooting. She is 3* masquerading as a 5*. At least play her at 2 guard where she handles the ball less

A good example of this was late in the game, Burrell had a wide open 3 from the top of th key. Shed turned it down, drove into the lane and lost the ball on a triple team. They hit a fast break 3. If she had taken the 3 at the top of the key,,a shot which she hits about 50% of the time, the result would have been a 6 point difference in the game. Many of their turnovers are just poor decisions and lazy passes.

I thought they had a very good chance of winning yesterday. They will continue to improve. I do think our defense in the paint could improve if the defense would play with a wider base. They seem to make themselves narrow rather than wider which means they have a lot of reach in fouls.
They have proven that they can play with the top rated teams. They had opportunities to beat UConnn and A&M. The USC game should be interesting. Would love to see them win this one.
Excellent post ! You are so right and what a critical time for that to have happened . It kind of sealed our fate ....:(

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I fail to see any reason(s) for Horston to play pg. She was 1-10 yesterday. A best she comes out even in the stats with assists/rebounds to off-set her TO's and poor shooting. She is 3* masquerading as a 5*. At least play her at 2 guard where she handles the ball less
rae is better at 2. salary can play some at point . horston has play some point until 21 recuits get here.

UT could defeat SC and snap their current 32 game conference winning streak. They will need to keep the turnovers under control to do so.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I keep telling myself I’m going to sit down and research this. But, a casual perusal of box scores this year show you are either a good rebounding team or a good ball security team. Unless one team is significantly better/more athletic the team with fewer turnovers loses the rebounding war. I really want to put some actual statistics to this and check out whether rebounds or turnovers have the higher correlation win factor. Also what is the “best” differential +- to and +- reb. Sounds like work!

These players have had turnover issues going back into Holly's tenure.. fundamentals are not stressed enough or the consequences for turnovers is not there .. therefore the players know they aint coming out if they commit them .. you watch the good teams SC and Uconn ..Stanford .. they are fundamentally superior to lady vols .. until KH gets tough .. she is doing same thing as Holly .. and the players will stop respecting her too .. why Pat would have already chewed these girls up one side and down the other ..

These players have had turnover issues going back into Holly's tenure.. fundamentals are not stressed enough or the consequences for turnovers is not there .. therefore the players know they aint coming out if they commit them .. you watch the good teams SC and Uconn ..Stanford .. they are fundamentally superior to lady vols .. until KH gets tough .. she is doing same thing as Holly .. and the players will stop respecting her too .. why Pat would have already chewed these girls up one side and down the other ..
You are correct, Hallie. Kellie is a good coach. However, she does not have the ability to to demand ball security from her players. Kellie needs to recruit players who have a self attitude of ball security.

Last edited:
I keep telling myself I’m going to sit down and research this. But, a casual perusal of box scores this year show you are either a good rebounding team or a good ball security team. Unless one team is significantly better/more athletic the team with fewer turnovers loses the rebounding war. I really want to put some actual statistics to this and check out whether rebounds or turnovers have the higher correlation win factor. Also what is the “best” differential +- to and +- reb. Sounds like work!
I would think that your research will find that if the difference in rebounds or to’s is not large between teams, the better rebounding team has a higher winning percentage. If, however, the discrepancies are large, the team with the fewer to’s has the higher winning %. It just seems to go that way. The trick is to win both battles, where the winning % is quite high. By the way, number of FT’s taken by each team has a poor correlation to predicting the winner.

Sample size of 1, but the SC-UConn is a good example. SC killed them on the boards, but they had so many turnovers that completely killed their momentum.

Other statistics to consider is FG% and 2nd chance points. You can grab offensive rebounds and pad your rebounding advantage all you want, but it doesn't matter if you can't capitalize.

Sample size of 1, but the SC-UConn is a good example. SC killed them on the boards, but they had so many turnovers that completely killed their momentum.

Other statistics to consider is FG% and 2nd chance points. You can grab offensive rebounds and pad your rebounding advantage all you want, but it doesn't matter if you can't capitalize.
Really kind of interesting isn’t it.

Really kind of interesting isn’t it.
I don't think it's so unusual. I recall a NC game between UConn-Tennessee (2003?) where it was the same thing. Tennessee absolutely hammered them on the boards...had as many offensive rebounds as UConn had defensive rebounds. That was probably what kept them in the game, but not enough to win. I don't think they shot very well, and UConn was hitting so many clutch threes.

Historically, Tennessee tends to dominate the boards, but turn the ball over a ton as well. Would probably give any statistician a headache trying to figure out a pattern.

I see what you are saying. Burrell needs to improve her ball handling and realize her limitations. She is a scorer but she is not a ball handler and that is where she gets into trouble. Of the young women on the team in regards to playing point this year I believe
Salary has the best upside. Making an entry pass into the post still seems a lost art for this team. I have seen time after time Key is available for a pass but the person with the ball looks at her and reverses the ball. All that aside I do believe if we play within ourselves and value the ball we are able to beat anyone. I feel that the main difference from Pat to now is that Pat was able to get consistent effort, she would not allow daydreaming, and rarely did players try to make a risky pass but instead made the simple pass. I am probably wrong but some times it looks as if some of the players are miles away mentally.

VN Store

Back