G.O.A.T. Of All Sports!

What about Michael Phelps? Venus?

IMO, it’s not fair to do this at all, but it’s especially ridiculous to not separate team sports and individual sports
Phelps was one of the first I thought of along with Ali, Federer, Serena, Tiger and Nicklaus. Team sport success is so dependent on others that it's hard to judge how well they might do with different teammates.

Reactions: MAD
Phelps was one of the first I thought of along with Ali, Federer, Serena, Tiger and Nicklaus. Team sport success is so dependent on others that it's hard to judge how well they might do with different teammates.

If you're just counting titles, then individual ones probably carry more weight...but if you're factoring individual accomplishments within team sports, then team sports will tend to get the nod from me simply because we have far more young athletes playing team sports vs. individual sports. They're just more competitive in America. I grew up playing sports year-round and never even played an individual sport in any kind of organized competition. I know few people who have even had a real boxing lesson, let alone competed in the sport.

The best athletes at my HS were not on the swimming team but our swim team won state like 6 straight years.

If you're just counting titles, then individual ones probably carry more weight...but if you're factoring individual accomplishments within team sports, then team sports will tend to get the nod from me simply because we have far more young athletes playing team sports vs. individual sports. They're just more competitive in America. I grew up playing sports year-round and never even played an individual sport in any kind of organized competition. I know few people who have even had a real boxing lesson, let alone competed in the sport.

The best athletes at my HS were not on the swimming team but our swim team won state like 6 straight years.
It's whatever makes them more popular.

As long as it fits in the criteria Usain Bolt in sprints. Winning individual titles in any given year is one thing. When the accomplishments span all time and participation that carries more weight IMO. At his best there was (even still) him and then everybody else.

100m - Has the top 3 times ever run (the first 2 outright, the 3rd is shared with 2 others. His 9.58 WR is so hilariously faster than anyone else it's still looks like a misprint.
200m - Only 3 people have run a 10.40 or under at this distance. Bolt did it 4 times. He's the only guy to even seriously scare, much less go under, 19.20.

Phelps would have to be up there as well. His medal count is just absurd. He had a ton of various WR but I think the vast majority of them have been surpassed since. Still, seriously dominant.

Rocky Marciano is kinda polarizing among a lot of people but 49-0 with 43KO's is what it is.

I waffle on team sport selections. If I had to choose it'd probably be Gretzky with Jordan and Jim Brown in the mix.

As long as it fits in the criteria Usain Bolt in sprints. Winning individual titles in any given year is one thing. When the accomplishments span all time and participation that carries more weight IMO. At his best there was (even still) him and then everybody else.

100m - Has the top 3 times ever run (the first 2 outright, the 3rd is shared with 2 others. His 9.58 WR is so hilariously faster than anyone else it's still looks like a misprint.
200m - Only 3 people have run a 10.40 or under at this distance. Bolt did it 4 times. He's the only guy to even seriously scare, much less go under, 19.20.

Phelps would have to be up there as well. His medal count is just absurd. He had a ton of various WR but I think the vast majority of them have been surpassed since. Still, seriously dominant.

Rocky Marciano is kinda polarizing among a lot of people but 49-0 with 43KO's is what it is.

I waffle on team sport selections. If I had to choose it'd probably be Gretzky with Jordan and Jim Brown in the mix.

It's got to be one of the most competitive sports because if you're a special kind of fast anywhere in the world, you probably end up doing track. The crazy thing is he holds the 100m record by a big margin and he let up at the end to celebrate. It's totally bananas. As a teen, I saw Donovan Bailey set the world record at the '96 Olympics and Bolt beat his time by 0.26" the next decade. It took 28 years to get the record from 9.95" down to 9.84".

It's got to be one of the most competitive sports because if you're a special kind of fast anywhere in the world, you probably end up doing track. The crazy thing is he holds the 100m record by a big margin and he let up at the end to celebrate. It's totally bananas. As a teen, I saw Donovan Bailey set the world record at the '96 Olympics and Bolt beat his time by 0.26" the next decade. It took 28 years to get the record from 9.95" down to 9.84".

Agree with pretty much all of this but I'm going to have to make a slight correction. The "celebration" race was his 9.69. He later knocked off a 9.63 and finally that 9.58. As you say..."bananas".

VN Store

Back