Pete Thamel: Tim Banks finalizing deal for DC

Banks has been at Penn State since the 2016 season, serving as safeties coach and the co-DC during that time. While safety play at Penn State has always been much maligned, Banks groups have found some success, with Malik Golden, Nick Scott, Troy Apke, and Marcus Allen all having played or (in the case of the latter three) playing in the NFL.

Banks is also known as a strong recruiter, with that nevermore being the case this past recruiting cycle when he landed Michigan standouts like Kalen King, Kobe King, Jamari Buddin, and Jaylen Reed.

The move for Banks is an obvious one: with Brent Pry seemingly firmly entrenched in his defensive coordinator role, Banks was going to have to go elsewhere if he wanted the “head” job on the defensive side of the ball. With Tennessee, he now has that opportunity.
Report: Co-DC Tim Banks To Be Named New Tennessee Defensive Coordinator
In 2017, safeties Marcus Allen received All-Big Ten first team honors, while Troy Apke received honorable mention.[14] That season the Nittany Lions' defense helped Penn State to its second-straight New Year's Six bowl and a Top 10 finish. Also the 16.5 points allowed per game was the fewest since the 2008 team gave up 12.2 per contest.[15] Both starting safeties were selected in the 2018 NFL Draft, Apke in the fourth round, 109th overall and Allen in the fifth round, 148th overall.

So far I like what our new HC has put together.

Our new DC is intelligent, well spoken, motivated and a high energy guy that's a solid teacher and tells the kids exactly what he expects them to work on and become and trains then to become a technition at their positions and pushes them to become disciplined and accountable.

Now we wait to see the rest of the D staff so we can try to evaluate what they can become together as a coaching Team.

I'm feeling pretty good at what I've seen and read so far.

VFL...GBO!!!

You just can’t make some folks happy. I for one and fairly happy with the staff JH and DW has put together, especially seeing the horrible situation facing UT. We still have some talent, just need to be coached up, something that has been missing here for over a decade. It is going to be a wild ride.
I appreciate this comment. As a long time Vol fan (since Dewey Warren and Charlie Fulton) the most fun periods were watching the team grow and get better under Majors and again under Fulmer. It's fun to over achieve to upset someone favored to beat you, even to limp through to find a way once in a while to beat Vandy.

I'm sure people will find this crazy, but I feel sorry for Bama fans who can rarely feel the thrill of exceeding expectations. Sure they cheer but their emotions are either smug pleasure or disgust. They don't go crazy over a big win. I realized in 99 after the NC season that winning isn't as fun when you are expected to win them all.

Just enjoy watching the team grow and get better, missteps and all. If you need to win all the time, buy Madden and set everything to easy. The uncertainty is what makes it fun.

I appreciate this comment. As a long time Vol fan (since Dewey Warren and Charlie Fulton) the most fun periods were watching the team grow and get better under Majors and again under Fulmer. It's fun to over achieve to upset someone favored to beat you, even to limp through to find a way once in a while to beat Vandy.

I'm sure people will find this crazy, but I feel sorry for Bama fans who can rarely feel the thrill of exceeding expectations. Sure they cheer but their emotions are either smug pleasure or disgust. They don't go crazy over a big win. I realized in 99 after the NC season that winning isn't as fun when you are expected to win them all.

Just enjoy watching the team grow and get better, missteps and all. If you need to win all the time, buy Madden and set everything to easy. The uncertainty is what makes it fun.

NOT EVEN CLOSE!

The last 20 years have been nothing but uncertainty and it’s been depressing as HelL!
Winning is the only antidote for a program so far down as Tennessee and winning alone!
Go Vols

NOT EVEN CLOSE!

The last 20 years have been nothing but uncertainty and it’s been depressing as HelL!
Winning is the only antidote for a program so far down as Tennessee and winning alone!
Go Vols
I agree. However, we have to rebuild our brand and that will take the new staff time. Those that expect over night change are delusional. I want the Vols to win as much as anyone but at least hope in our losses, we see major improvement. No moral victories, just improvement so that we can soon be a team that others prefer not to see in their schedule. Until then, sit back and enjoy the ride like BondJamesBond said. With that said, I am with you that the past 20 years has been a nightmare. Go Vols!

Reactions: BondJamesBond
Someone had to say it , big Al!
Kudos
Which part? That we don't have the talent of the top tier schools? Well duh. Crazy you two thought it needed to be said.

That because of our low talent level it doesn't matter who our DC is? Lol. Okay.

NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Go Vols
Did I say I was against winning? I'm for enjoying the ride. If the ride makes you miserable, you probably shouldn't go. If you insist that everyone else be miserable, you probably should seek counseling.

You better read again. He was top PSU recruiter in 2021 and a notch better than Al Washington! He was number 11 recruiter in Big 10 in 2020 and 2021, top at PSU in 2021, number 3 on staff in 2020. Yes, it isn't the SEC. But, he may be able to have the same success in the SEC given the chance which he now has. Number 11 out of about 121 recruiters in the Big Ten puts him in the top 10% in the Big 10 the last 2 years!

So I did look again and I copied the information I referred to.

1_7951927.jpg

Tim Banks
YEAR-----RANK
2017------223
2018------475
2019------519
2020------67
2021------51
2022------44

So you see, the data is just as I said it was. By no means am I saying he may not do better in the future and be a fine DC. What I did say is that I was unimpressed. By the numbers alone 2020-2022 get better, but the ones before that were just plain awful.

I apologize but I could not get this properly formatted once it gets posted. Therefore I edited the post.

Last edited:
yea and you dont know all there is to know about the situation ... thats what got you butt hurt ... you dont have to know ..either be a fan or go ..

SOUNDS like You the one "butt hurt". I am simply stating my opinion; which IS my right; until you Cancelers decide differently. I WILL BE WHO I AM; so Suck it up.

Banks was the DC at Central Michigan when Butch Jones was the HC. That's the last time he ran a defense.
You think Butch wasn’t meddling? Look at all the coaches who proved themselves to be elite once they got away from Butch. Getting Banks makes up for a lot of other disappointments I’ve had with this whole overhaul. This guy is the sleeper hire of the decade. We straight up stole him.

Your point is ridiculous. You are a delusional fan that is stuck in the 90’s. Wake up man. We are not a premier program. We are not a powerhouse. We don’t have any clout. We are staring down the barrel of the worst situation TN football has ever faced in the modern era.

We are supposed to be Tennessee??? Good grief man you are a big problem with what’s wrong with this fan base. Dumb.

Calling me dumb exposes your ignorance. Plenty of it. I expect the best for UT. Yall can settle if you want.

Reactions: Tman44
SOUNDS like You the one "butt hurt". I am simply stating my opinion; which IS my right; until you Cancelers decide differently. I WILL BE WHO I AM; so Suck it up.
yea .. you state a opinion like its a fact .. and you dont have a clue about the situation ..

So I did look again and I copied the information I referred to.

1_7951927.jpg

Tim Banks
YEAR-----RANK
2017------223
2018------475
2019------519
2020------67
2021------51
2022------44

So you see, the data is just as I said it was. By no means am I saying he may not do better in the future and be a fine DC. What I did say is that I was unimpressed. By the numbers alone 2020-2022 get better, but the ones before that were just plain awful.

I apologize but I could not get this properly formatted once it gets posted. Therefore I edited the post.

If you don't think 67, 51, and 44 out of approximately 1400 FBS Div 1 recruiters is very good, you are wrong!!! Yes, his 2017 to 2019 numbers aren't impressive. But, he stepped up his game the last three years. I think you will see similar results at UT. I will take a bunch of top 100 recruiters at UT ALL DAY LONG and 10 times the last week of early signing day and regular signing day as well!!! Even his first three years, he was in the top 1/3 of ALL assistants for FBS Div 1. The top 1/3 isn't bad. If UT was in the top 1/3 in the SEC in recruiting every year, it puts UT 4th in the SEC and top 10-15 EVERY YEAR!!! Should UT have a staff on both sides of the ball that can scheme and develop. UT is in the SEC Championship game regularly (every 3-4 years). I will take it!!!

Last edited:
Calling me dumb exposes your ignorance. Plenty of it. I expect the best for UT. Yall can settle if you want.

Alabama was once a great national powerhouse. Then came a litany of incompetent coaches and the losses piled up. "Alabama will never be the same. They're washed up for good" Bammers never lost the thirst for excellence. They kept turning over the staff until they got their man. I think it worked out pretty well for them. We must keep our standards high and tolerate nothing less than our standards. Do not fall victim to defeatism. We have some of the best facilities and backing in the nation. We just need to hit on the right personnel to help get us back to living up to our standards.

True fan right here folks. Stop and touch the screen so maybe it'll rub off on you.

Accepting that we're a dumpster fire and hired someone different than YOU thought we should doesn't translate to "settling". If you haven't read this board for the past 3 months and noticed what's going on, maybe you should just sit down and shut up so you don't look any sillier than you already do.

And that's not telling you what to do, it was just a suggestion. Personally I hope you continue looking ridiculous.

The fool is the one that won’t give the man a chance. Is he a great hire? A good hire? Or the worst hire ever? Who knows? He may turn out to be the “best thing since sliced bread”. But give the man a chance.
Sliced bread is pretty damn good!

Reactions: dovervolz
What I'm trying to say is our talent is pathetic compared to the top-tier schools it doesn't matter who the damn DC is
One would think that weakness in roster would make the DC's abilities to scheme that much more important. As well as recruiting to help repair the roster over time, the DC hire would be pretty important. Can you help me follow your logic?

That reads like the spoiled teen that "expects" his working class parents to buy him a Ferrari and refusing to settle.

The spoiled teen is the only one that fails to realize what an ignorant look it is.

UT is a hind tit sucker right now. Face it.

Reactions: Tnphil

VN Store

Back