Pete Thamel: Tim Banks finalizing deal for DC

Looks like a good hire. White and Heupel could have done what past AD's and HC's did when it didn't work out with the first good candidates they spoke to... they could have panicked and settled. Instead it looks like they continued to look for a high quality hire though it took longer than anticipated. I hope they keep doing things different.

tenor.gif

Some of ya'll need to learn grammar, or English, or both.

And apostrophe placement.

Reactions: alvinkamara
Would have preferred Conklin, but this is better than some of the alternatives. Much like with Heupel, will wait to see what the on the field product looks like.

Fair and I agree. At first I didn’t want Conklin. But I did some more research on him and really warmed up to the idea of him being our DC. But it seems this isn’t the worst hire we could have made. I think most of us are thinking the same, wait and see and hopefully it works out.

UT finally signs a DC. One that apparently has experience with a hurry up offense. Has a pretty good record as a secondary coach and as Co-DC at Penn State. People can come back from the ledge a little since it looks like we will soon have a full staff of respectable coaches. Yet...still the complaints. Folks do realize that they might as well just get behind these hires and hope for the best, because there will be at least 3 years for the assistants and 5 years for the HBC, right? I mean, c’mon...at this point just hope they work out. It’s gonna be a slog getting back to relevance. Settle in and accept it.
F***—all the fans can do about any of it anyway. So be a fan or don’t. But enough of the histrionics.

Gonna keep telling myself this.

59C25506-B882-4061-B2A3-579ADD89573C.gif

According to the Legions of Doom, you can feel okay about it, but not great. Of course, feeling miserable about it is also okay, since it took so long and he coached at Cincy at one point, along with the generally accepted reasons for despair. Cautious optimism is permitted by some as long as you don't go overboard. It might not work out. But it might but we don't know until 2035 how to feel.

That's pretty much it.

Yep. Things are more like they used to be than they are now.

UT finally signs a DC. One that apparently has experience with a hurry up offense. Has a pretty good record as a secondary coach and as Co-DC at Penn State. People can come back from the ledge a little since it looks like we will soon have a full staff of respectable coaches. Yet...still the complaints. Folks do realize that they might as well just get behind these hires and hope for the best, because there will be at least 3 years for the assistants and 5 years for the HBC, right? I mean, c’mon...at this point just hope they work out. It’s gonna be a slog getting back to relevance. Settle in and accept it.
F***—all the fans can do about any of it anyway. So be a fan or don’t. But enough of the histrionics.

Gonna keep telling myself this.

View attachment 351793

Excellent post. But it will fall on some deaf ears. But great job. I really hope this entire football staff works out and gets us back to winning.

Not sure about this hire. Haven’t heard of him. The name hasn’t even popped up in past coaching hires for other programs. Seen some in here say he’s a good recruiter but who has he help sign at penn state that he has brougjt in an developed that went
On to the nfl? I was fine with the wait in the hire, at least get it right if that was the plan so In this case I hope this was the best hire out of all the others. Welcome Coach Banks.
Did you know Al Washington? Without your answer, you may have had the same opinion and it would be a similarly questioned hire...but that’s where we were at. I’ve heard of Banks and his name came up and disappeared as “not interested” adding to our unintended comic effect. Big Orange Train clung to the “we know nothing” refrain and wins the betting pool.

Reactions: orangebloodforlife
Here's some tape on the new coach:

Seems bright, well-spoken, energetic, talks about risk-taking and expectations, sounds comfortable in a leadership role.

The man used the word 'plethora'. We're beyond 'aight, now. :)

I have low expectations for how things will go the next few years, but the thing I am most excited about is having a coach that can actually speak and sound somewhat intelligible. Pruitt speaking was almost always cringeworthy, and embarrassing to watch.

The last time we hired a DC working with Franklin (Shoop) the candidate looked elite but didn't pan for us or anyone else. Let's hope Banks has the goods apart from Franklin and not because of him.
“The last time the Vols produced a no brainer NFL QB pick, Heath Shuler ended up turning to their 7th rounder in the same draft. I don’t trust UT QBs” actual line from an anonymous NFL scout. Every example is it own science.

VN Store

Back