Pete Thamel: Tim Banks finalizing deal for DC

If it’s Martinez, Gardner, Steele, and Janeck coming in with him, I feel very good about recruiting and development on the defensive side of the ball. The offense is going to be good. I really like the Heupel hire.
This would be very interesting

Reactions: A.J.
Never been a true, lone defensive coordinator. He's been a co-defensive coordinator at a couple of stops, but you know how that "co" title goes. A lot of times that title is just given to a coach to make them happy/get them more money. So there's some concern there. However he's supposedly a great recruiter and a high energy guy. Also, I'm just going to say it, it never hurts to diversify your staff even more to attract recruits.
According to Wikipedia he was full time DC at Central Michigan. Unclear if he called plays at Cincinnati or Illinois, I'm pretty sure he didn't at Penn State.

If it’s Martinez, Gardner, Steele, and Janeck coming in with him, I feel very good about recruiting and development on the defensive side of the ball. The offense is going to be good. I really like the Heupel hire.

Me too. I'm excited to be excited about an exciting offense. Miss that Dobbs like thing.
Like this DC hire. I think a couple of LBs will miss out on that opportunity to be leaders rather than followers somewhere else.
GBO

Absolutely NOTHING is a home run hire anymore. ZERO! From now on every single coach has to prove it on the field before getting the label. We've been mislead too many times and should know better. Not a single fan should characterize any hire as a "home run" until it is a home run. Just setting ourselves up for a gut punch.
Haha read the comment right below your reply! I agree with you... i was just noting the cycle these hires seem to take!

Reactions: PNW Huskie
I hope he can bring Joe Lorig (OLB/ Special teams coordinator) with him. As it turns out we need both positions filled. Then go get JJ McCleskey for CB coach.

Banks (DC/ Safeties), Lorig (OLB/ Special Teams), Steele (ILB), Garner (DL), McCleskey (CBs). Very good staff with plenty of power five experience and even a couple of VFLs
Speaking of VFLs, Kevin Simon needs to be given a shot. Should help to keep Henry T

Simon could help keep Henry T for sure, and I 'd imagine he will get a look and would be the hire if Lorig doesn't come.

Considering how many times we've been turned down (allegedly), this seems like a fine hire.

Exactly what we needed in a defensive coordinator. He can explain himself well while teaching and adds excitement to the practice. I am sure he is like this 24/7.

Reactions: Bret178
Per Rocky Top Insider

Banks just finished his fifth season as Penn State’s co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach after spending four seasons at Illinois. He helped run a defense that ranked fifth nationally against the run (95.0) and eighth in scoring (16.0) in 2019. The Nittany Lions also led the nation in forced fumbles (22) and were tied for third in fewest touchdown passes allowed (10). Penn State gave up just 16.0 points per game (8th), the fewest for PSU since the 2009 squad allowed 12.2 tallies per contest.
Safeties Lamont Wade and Garrett Taylor were honorable mention All-Big Ten honorees during the 2019 campaign under the guidance of Banks after State finished eighth nationally in team passing efficiency (106.10) and 15th in passing yards allowed (181.5) in 2018.

Just great, another damn coach form Cincy and Central Michigan. It didn’t work out for us last time maybe it will this time.

we cant keep striking out on these guys. we have to strike gold eventually. Maybe this HC will actually let his Defensive Coord do his job. Pruitt handcuffed Chaney MAYBE this will be different.

Reactions: kcvols1 and jerrync
Not sure about this hire. Haven’t heard of him. The name hasn’t even popped up in past coaching hires for other programs. Seen some in here say he’s a good recruiter but who has he help sign at penn state that he has brougjt in an developed that went
On to the nfl? I was fine with the wait in the hire, at least get it right if that was the plan so In this case I hope this was the best hire out of all the others. Welcome Coach Banks.
He has developed quite a few players for the NFL. Google.

New talented coach. I like it. I'll be surprised if Steele hangs around. Maybe the 2021 season, maybe.

VN Store

Back