Game Thread: (16/19) Lady Vols at (6/5) Texas A&M

How do we know 🤷‍♂️
We know who the starters were and who came off the bench. They dominated our bench not our starters. Of the starters two were draws, two were wins, and one was a huge loss. Bring in the bench they won all three matchups by a lot.

We know who the starters were and who came off the bench. They dominated our bench not our starters. Of the starters two were draws, two were wins, and one was a huge loss. Bring in the bench they won all three matchups by a lot.
So how many minutes did Darby, Saunders and Rennie play? I don’t recall.

And this goes back to my earlier comment. Destiny Pitts was the leading scorer for a P5 team last year. She is in a completely different league than Darby, Saunders and Rennie. If any of those three players were in the game, they would have hurt the team more than they would have helped them. They are the equivalent of the TAMU players that also didn't get off the bench...and for good reason.

Reactions: travis929
Texas A&M bench players totaled 37 minutes yesterday between four players and they scored 27 points. We played three bench players 33 minutes and got 7 points from them. 22 to 7 their bench won. Our bench players were Salary, Suarez, and Walker. So our starters outscored their starters by 5 points.

Reactions: lfvol
Cierra has great foot work and she uses the same moves effectively and repeatedly if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. She sets those illega screens but our players aren’t smart enough to flop or call attention to it if i was Rae and Re i would have been throwing my hands all up in the air and screaming. TAMU is a really good team lead by their senior leaders. Not an easy out for sure

they have the most ranked wins in the country but i also so should be in the convo for a number one seed but i also see why they might not be
They have beaten the most ranked teams but none of those teams were in the top 15.

Looking forward to their game with South Carolina.

Reactions: Mr. Doo Wop
They have beaten the most ranked teams but none of those teams were in the top 15.

Looking forward to their game with South Carolina.
Kentucky, Arkansas and MSST were all in the Top 15 when TAMU beat them. Tennessee/Arkansas #2 were ranked 16 at the time of their losses as well.

They've been a very good team all season. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat SC. They match up well against them, and I think Johnson/Jones can hold their own vs. Boston/Saxton. Similar to this game, if TAMU's post tandem can go 35 minutes vs. SC, I like their chances. I think TAMU has a better backcourt.

And this goes back to my earlier comment. Destiny Pitts was the leading scorer for a P5 team last year. She is in a completely different league than Darby, Saunders and Rennie. If any of those three players were in the game, they would have hurt the team more than they would have helped them. They are the equivalent of the TAMU players that also didn't get off the bench...and for good reason.
Marta hit 2 3’s but was a major liability on both sides of floor. Her injury has slowed her down to a snails pace. My guess if Darby had gotten Martas minutes she would have had 6 points and just might have been better with ball and D. I agree our bench is below avg. But these are our future players.

Kentucky, Arkansas and MSST were all in the Top 15 when TAMU beat them. Tennessee/Arkansas #2 were ranked 16 at the time of their losses as well.

They've been a very good team all season. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat SC. They match up well against them, and I think Johnson/Jones can hold their own vs. Boston/Saxton. Similar to this game, if TAMU's post tandem can go 35 minutes vs. SC, I like their chances. I think TAMU has a better backcourt.
Yeah, I was going by how those teams are ranked now. MSST is a good example of a win over a ranked team that shouldn't be considered a factor. They dropped like a stone. Same with Texas. I don't think I've seen a P5 team play that poorly all season.

It doesn't change how good A&M is and they very well could be SC. I wouldn't be surprised either.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Marta hit 2 3’s but was a major liability on both sides of floor. Her injury has slowed her down to a snails pace. My guess if Darby had gotten Martas minutes she would have had 6 points and just might have been better with ball and D. I agree our bench is below avg. But these are our future players.

I think that the freshmen coming in next year are the future players. I don't think any of these 3 will win out PT at the expense of the freshmen. I just don't see them with much of a role, beyond additional emergency depth or possibly minutes in blow-out games.

When you Jordan Haters get your wish and she transfers out of here bc of the hating she constantly gets from the "fans",,,consider one thing,,,Look at the stat box and tell me what other ball handler did better, or does better:
View attachment 351576
SEC rank:
# 7 in assists per game

When she transfers out due to fans on a message board, if we compliment the point guards we want enough will they transfer in? Or is it only one sided?

Yeah, I was going by how those teams are ranked now. MSST is a good example of a win over a ranked team that shouldn't be considered a factor. They dropped like a stone. Same with Texas. I don't think I've seen a P5 team play that poorly all season.

It doesn't change how good A&M is and they very well could be SC. I wouldn't be surprised either.
MSST still hasn't had any bad losses. Nikki has dropped them like a stone, but they are still a talented team that has a fairly easy schedule beyond the Tennessee game, and could easily find themselves back in the top 20 if they take care of business against teams they should beat. Texas is in a similar position, at least until Baylor throttles them again in the season finale.

I hate when my fellow RU fans blame the refs for a loss. We fans tend to look at every foul against our team as bogus and every foul against the other team as justified. It's the nature of the beast, the beast being fans.

As an RU fan first and a Lady Vol fan second, I believe I can watch the game with a more unbiased eye. There were a few fouls on both teams that could have been a no call, and a few that weren't called that I though should have been called.

But I rewatched the second half and I didn't see any egregious calls. The last 5 fouls were all correctly called. The three point foul by Burrell was clear. Rae hit her arm. Just look at what happened to the shot. It never reached the basket. It was either a block or a foul and I don't believe Rae hit the ball. She didn't argue and was clearly upset with herself. The next foul was the call on Davis. She almost lost the ball and passed it to a teammate. She got it back and started to make a move with the ball. Unfortunately she exposed the ball in front of her. The A&M player knocked the ball away cleanly and in the battle for the ball, Davis knocked the A&M player over. Another correct call. The last three were fouls by Tennessee trying to get back into the game.

So that's 5 of the 21 fouls that I saw that were correct. In the third quarter, Tennessee had 5 fouls and A&M had 4 I believe. I watched very closely and I didn't see any incorrect calls on either team.

The bottom line is they were only down 1 point with 2:11 left and 2 points with 1:21 remaining. That is pretty darn good. On the road against the No. 6 team with only 1 loss on the season.

This season is a definite improvement over last year. Can't ask much more than that. Next season will be even better.
Maybe you should use these when you watch our games!!!!
translucent---orange-sunglasses-rainbowoptx-27720546_1600x1600.jpg

When she transfers out due to fans on a message board, if we compliment the point guards we want enough will they transfer in? Or is it only one sided?
Jordan Horston Mother has said she wants Jordan to transfer because she is sick of the fans. It seems like Jordan is making the descion to stay at TN even if her mother thinks differently.

and honestly does her mother think that other fanbases dont tear down the players after bad games????

just interested because it always seems like players mention how horrible the Lady Vol fanbase can be is all the other SEC teams all about rainbows and sunshine after bad performances..why does the TN fanbase get all the bad rep

If players are complaining about the fanbase, then they might not be cut out for the big-time pressure of college ball. And that's with the women players dealing with probably 10% of the scrutiny that the men players do given the sizes of the fanbases. No good will come out of of checking out what fans have to say on social media...especially after a loss.

MSST still hasn't had any bad losses. Nikki has dropped them like a stone, but they are still a talented team that has a fairly easy schedule beyond the Tennessee game, and could easily find themselves back in the top 20 if they take care of business against teams they should beat. Texas is in a similar position, at least until Baylor throttles them again in the season finale.
damn, that was a big time throttling. See your point on MSST. They definitely have talent.

Jordan Horston Mother has said she wants Jordan to transfer because she is sick of the fans. It seems like Jordan is making the descion to stay at TN even if her mother thinks differently.

and honestly does her mother think that other fanbases dont tear down the players after bad games????
Where is she or any parent or player going to find a fanbase that doesn't complain about how players perform. I'd like to know where that would be?

Last edited:
just interested because it always seems like players mention how horrible the Lady Vol fanbase can be is all the other SEC teams all about rainbows and sunshine after bad performances..why does the TN fanbase get all the bad rep
About 30 percent of the fanbase acted really ugly when the girls legally demonstrated their fifth amendment rights. That could be part of it at least in the present.

About 30 percent of the fanbase acted really ugly when the girls legally demonstrated their fifth amendment rights. That could be part of it at least in the present.

First amendment. I fully support them but it’s naive to think that ALL fans of any team would support it. I’m honestly sick of hearing about parents. If a player wants to transfer, let them go. I want players who want to play for the Lady Vols.

First amendment. I fully support them but it’s naive to think that ALL fans of any team would support it. I’m honestly sick of hearing about parents. If a player wants to transfer, let them go. I want players who want to play for the Lady Vols.
I agree but some parents and players make take it in the moment and like you I want any player to transfer if they are not happy where they are.

Yes there has been some criticism of JH but I haven't seen any comments to out of bounds toward her ( about the worse comment suggesting she should transfer). If you want to see harsh comments, look at the football forum for the past couple years talking about JG. I don't do Twitter or any of the other social media so maybe it is worse there. Maybe I am to used to reading all the negavol comments in the football threads.

I think I ( and apparently others) are somewhat frustrated primarily by her shot selection. I think she is doing a lot better in reducing her turnovers and she is very good in all the other aspects of the game except for her shot selection. As others have mentioned, I don't like seeing her trying to slash to the basket because it seems she then does one of those floater flip shots that has only a slight chance of going in. When I see Rae or Davis drive to the basket, they usually take a decent shot. Instead of going into the lane with several defenders I would like to see her kick the ball out or take a straight up jump shot. I really don't know how good she is shooting a 12-14 foot jump shot but if could make 40-45% percent while taking 6-7 of those shots a game instead of those floaters then I would certainly consider had a star on the team instead of calling her a good player. That would also stop teams from packing in the defense. Like coach jumper said, the other parts of her game are very good IMO.

I agree with your post except the part that yesterday’s bench players are our future players. I expect the incoming class will have several kids that move past all but a couple of yesterday’s bench players immediately.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back