Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like all the staff moves so far, but the idea that Huepel doesn’t seem to have a buddy in the game that he can talk into being his DC is concerning.
Not concerned at all. I dont believe we've been turned down like it's being portrayed. I think Al Washington was the top choice (isn't that what you're hearing @Stoerner Fumbles?), and talks with him stretched several days...4 to 6 days, imo....maybe longer. With that being said...

Heupel has been on the job 18 days. So, take away 4 to 6 days from that, and we're looking at around 2 weeks to ponder, pivot, talk, proceed.
Bama lost Sark on Jan 3, and O'Brien was named on the 21st...18 days. Aurburn hired Harsin on Dec 22, if I'm not mistaken...he hired Mason 15 days later, and Bobo, 16 days later. Beamer, at USCe, took 30+ days to find OC AND DC.

The reason we are concerned, or freaked out, or bitching and belly aching is because we're Tennessee. We burn sh!t in the middle of the street whenever things don't go our way; we conduct revolts, and then justify said revolt with something half the people revolting weren't even aware of (you'll never convince me that Shiano Sunday was about Penn St...it had everything to do with Jon Gruden not being named HC). Some of us are so miserable and lost, about 5 or 6 days ago, we started begging for John Jancek back. See what I'm saying? It's pathetic. MANY on here would believe it if some random poster, acting like an insider, said Bill Belichick was coming; then, whenever it didn't happen, they would set themselves on fire. Saw an example today: someone just mentioned Shoop; and, before long posters were asking where the Shoop news was coming from.

Also, another note, just to give some more perspective about time and patience: Rich Rodriguez turned Bama down on Dec 8, 2006...Nick Saban was hired 26 days later, on Jan 3, 2007. Can you imagine 26 days of this place, if that happened. HOLY SH!T!

Twenty-six days. UT fired Pruitt and Fulmer on Jan 18...Danny White hired Jan 22...Josh Heupel hired Jan 27. UT fired an AD and HC, and had both positions filled in 9 days; and, still, this place was melting down.

Again, this rebuild is going to take all of us: school, AD, coaches, players, fans. Yet to be seen if the other four will live up to their part of the bargain; but, as of this moment, many of us fans are failing miserably...completely melting down because things are not working within OUR individual time frame. Danny White (a move that ALL of college athletics called GRAND SLAM) hasn't been here a month, and some already want him run off. THAT'S how ridiculous some are acting. I would be ashamed of myself; but, hell...it's 2021, looking like an ass has become cool somehow. Glad I didn't get the memo.

Last edited:
I really like all the staff moves so far, but the idea that Huepel doesn’t seem to have a buddy in the game that he can talk into being his DC is concerning.
Yeah, I would have thought if you were gonna make that hire of a coach at UCF that there would have been a preset list of people heupel had already discussed it with and gotten interest. Doesn’t seem like that has happened at all considering all things that have gone on

Not concerned at all. I dont believe we've been turned down like it's being portrayed. I think Al Washington was the top choice (isn't that what you're hearing @Stoerner Fumbles?), and talks with him stretched several days...4 to 6 days, imo....maybe longer. With that being said...

Heupel has been on the job 18 days. So, take away 4 to 6 days from that, and we're looking at around 2 weeks to ponder, pivot, talk, proceed.
Bama lost Sark on Jan 3, and O'Brien was named on the 21st...18 days. Aurburn hired Harsin on Dec 22, if I'm not mistaken...he hired Mason 15 days later, and Bobo, 16 days later. Beamer, at USCe, took 30+ days to find OC AND DC.

The reason we are concerned, or freaked out, or bitching and belly aching is because we're Tennessee. Some of us are so miserable and lost, about 5 or 6 days ago, we started begging for John Jancek back. See what I'm saying? It's pathetic. Many on here would believe it if some random poster, acting like an insider, said Bill Belichick was coming; and, then whenever it didn't happen, they would set themselves on fire.

Also, another note, just to give some more context about time and patience: Rich Rodriguez turned Bama down on Dec 8, 2006...Nick Saban was hired 26 days later, on Jan 3.

Yeah it seems like every time we turn around someone says “sources close say” blah, blah, blah. Then people come up with well I am hearing so and so. We have been turned down by everyone. Even though there isn’t a shred of legit evidence to back that up.

Nobody on this message board knows anything.

Yeah it seems like every time we turn around someone says “sources close say” blah, blah, blah. Then people come up with well I am hearing so and so. We have been turned down by everyone. Even though there isn’t a shred of legit evidence to back that up.

Nobody on this message board knows anything.
You think we’ve drawn out a search for a defensive coordinator for 3 plus weeks on purpose? Especially on the heels of spring practice, when every day is crucial in order for the staff to get their systems in place.

Also what proof do you need? A handwritten letter with a carrier pigeon from the coaches saying they’ve turned the job down?

Last edited:
My wife’s best friend is marrying a gator fan (gross), but we had lunch with them yesterday. He’s worried about Heupel because of how his offenses were at Mizzou, he asked how the DC search was. He had ZERO idea it’d been this long.
No one but Vol fans are paying it any attention. The HC decision was made and that is all that matters to the majority of fans whether they are homers or rivals. It’s only obsessive ones like us that pay that close attention to assistants.

You think we’ve drawn out a search for a defensive coordinator for 3 plus weeks on purpose? Especially on the heels of spring practice, when every day is crucial in order for the staff to get their systems in place.

Also what proof do you need? A handwritten letter with a carrier pigeon from the coaches saying they’ve turned the job down?
We have it straight from white and Heupel that they were going to take their time on the search.

How does it feel like that? Not saying you're wrong, but it is not the vibe I am getting.
I can understand if working for Plowman makes any coach hesitant. Not just head coaches, but coordinators and position coaches as well. As much as most Vol fans take her side in what happened with Pruitt, most coaches would probably take Pruitt's side. Not saying either side is right or wrong, just making an observation. Coaching is a fraternity, and they tend to ban together. Now DW wasn't here for the whole mess so I'm not sure it touches him, but Plowman led the charge. So looking at it from a perspective coach's POV, Tennessee is a program that has been mostly down for the last 15 years, with a new HC with no experience as a HC at this level, a new AD with no previous ties to UT so you're uncertain how loyal and committed the university is to him, and a chancellor you probably don't trust because she just wiped out the previous AD and football staff. Then add in the possibility of NCAA sanctions to make the job even more difficult. Since Dickey retired in 2002, we're on what? Our fifth AD? Hamilton, Hart, Currie, Fulmer, now DW. Did I miss anyone? Since Fulmer was forced out in 2008, we're on our fifth HC. And I say all this not to be negative, but to paint a clear picture of what we're facing.

To a degree, I've kept my orange-colored glasses on, ignoring how bad off we are, thinking we could and would hire someone dynamic as our DC. But looking at the overall big picture, I guess I can understand why it's been so difficult. I just don't want to believe it. And that's what hurts so damn much. How I see Tennessee football, how WE see Tennessee football, is almost the polar opposite of how outsiders see Tennessee football. We still believe. We still hope. But outsiders see a massive train wreck that many don't want any part of.

From that Elarbee article. (h/t @seaofORANGE22 )

During his time at UCF, from 2018-2020, Elarbee’s lines twice paved the way for offenses that averaged over 200 rushing yards per game. His 2018 unit had four players selected to the All-AAC team, and three in the 2019 season. Elarbee’s units paved the way for the most successful rushing season in UCF history in 2018, where the Golden Knights ran for over 3200 yards. The Knights also ranked in the top twenty in the nation in terms of giving up sacks.

Let's eat.

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Today....

Will NOT be the day.

I'm guessing Wednesday at the soonest. Could extend another couple of weeks.

I am not too sure what Price means by this. With Washington it felt like we were down to a full offer and talking well down the line type stuff. Does this mean that we are deep into position coach salaries etc. type talk and feel like he may actually accept?
Playing catch-up here. Was this the last from AP we heard last night or his comment about momentum swinging back to KC?

It doesn’t matter how the fan base feels
In some ways you are right, but if you think this "up to 11" fanbase will not create a impenetrable toxic cloud then you are nuts.

I have never witnessed a group of people that are so perversely willing to cut off their nose to spite their face.

I just legitimately don’t think there’s a path to growth as the defensive coordinator here on the other side of Heupel’s offense.

When the offense is good, it will get all the headlines and credit. When it is bad, the defense will be hammered by time of possession.
Didn't work out that way for Alex Grinch and it is not working out that way for Arnett either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back