Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Ron....
Can I get a popsicle?
maxresdefault.jpg

If what Swanson posted is true that JH wants Conklin and DW wants others, and we end up hiring Conklin... does the board self explode? Do we have a moment of hope, or do we immediately begin hating the hire? I just need to get prepared.

Doubt it. Conklin would be a fantastic hire for what we want to do. He would also have Garner as DL, McCleskey as DBs. So recruiting would be pretty solid from that group and we would be very aggressive. I think the issue is his season coming up. Hard to hire a DC that won’t be available for spring ball

First chink in my impression of Dan White’s armor IF these accounts are true. I understand the emphasis on diversity, but ultimately you back the HC you hired’s hand. This is micromanaging on a Pruitt scale and rumbles of Randy Shannon at UCF.

Agree. IF it is true, I wonder if it is something CJH may not be comfortable with, perhaps, and even asked for White's help. Plus, I'm sure White has to be involved for the money part of it.

If what Swanson posted is true that JH wants Conklin and DW wants others, and we end up hiring Conklin... does the board self explode? Do we have a moment of hope, or do we immediately begin hating the hire? I just need to get prepared.

The mere fact that there is mention of this kind of crap already is alarming. Seems like Conklin would be a good hire. But he just hired a position coach for his staff so take that however you want.

Reactions: Bruce Wayne
So basically DW pushing a diversity hire over the guy JH has wanted the entire time.

Source was a poster on VQ. Collaborated by another poster on VQ. Whomever their "sources" is or are likely has their own agenda and likely has no clue if it is to push a diversity hire or not. Some of you all are masterful at making **** up.

Doubt it. Conklin would be a fantastic hire for what we want to do. He would also have Garner as DL, McCleskey as DBs. So recruiting would be pretty solid from that group and we would be very aggressive. I think the issue is his season coming up. Hard to hire a DC that won’t be available for spring ball

I think his upcoming season makes it more likely because the National Media would love to rip Tennessee for hiring away a coach right before his team's season. Tennessee always the bad guy for the media.

(Also I'd be thrilled with Conklin. THRILLED.)

Agree. IF it is true, I wonder if it is something CJH may not be comfortable with, perhaps, and even asked for White's help. Plus, I'm sure White has to be involved for the money part of it.

Agree about being involved for the money part. But he should not be choosing position coaches for JH.

In a prior Volquest youtube video, AP said Shannon was forced on Heupel at UCF by DW and it was an unhappy pairing. So, it isn't like DW hasn't done this before...

Shannon was perceived as a solid hire at time. He is getting close to the end of his career though so I suspect some of that had more to do with their issues. People tend to start to coast at the end and just ride out a paycheck

Exactly, this idea that JH met with Shannon, viewed his resume, and though man this dude would be a terrible hire for the DC at UCF but I better hire him because my AD recommended him is beyond stupid. It turned out that he was a bad DC the last couple seasons at UCF. The idea that he would have been viewed as a terrible hire on the front end by JH is completely ridiculous.
Getting Shannon to take a lateral move positionwise from Florida was also widely considered a home run. And honestly this year is the only year it was really bad. Due mostly to how many players he lost from opt outs, injuries and suspensions. Not having any depth is magnified when you face the 6th most plays per game in the nation. The first 2 seasons with Shannon weren't all that bad when looking at it from a per play basis instead of total numbers.

I don't think anybody knows what is going on behind the curtain of secrecy. It seems kind of odd that these reported staff hires are being made with no DC in place and it is also funny how no real info is getting out through the old channels so to speak. Could it be the media types and insiders are starting rumors about DW to get him to make some type of statement ? Is the next big hire at UT going to be some type of a social statement no matter of qualifications? I would hope none of this is true but things have sure turned toward the ugly of days gone by pretty quick. We can all opine because it's fun and you get a insight of the thinking of the fan base but I don't think anyone will know for sure until DW and JH make it known who they have hired. I want to see pen put to paper first then I can complain.....or cheer depending on the time of day and my med load........now back to the corner and the Crayons.

In the war room last night, Hubbs said that we’re squarely behind the 8 ball with the 22 class. Said a lot of kids want to make early decisions and we just don’t have enough time to build relationships there.

Obviously if we look good on the field this year, things could change.

I agree, things can change. Looking back, it seems like UT was in great shape with quite a few highly rated recruits last Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back