Game Thread: (16/19) Lady Vols at (20/18) Kentucky

I don’t see anyone transferring but who knows...

I’ll say a friend. i know you like to take the pessimistic route so i’ll do the optimistic to balance it out 😉

Yeah, this is the first year in a while where there would be no reason to transfer out because the team is actually playing better, and players are being developed.

Plus, the one upside to Kellie playing everyone including the trainer is that recruits or potential transfers can feel like they are more likely to get playing time.

Last edited:
I didn’t except to really win this game without Davis and a half injured Marta back, what I am concerned with is the continued poor performance from Horston.

She’s a integral part of our future and I just haven’t seen an improvement from her freshman year. For some reason, our high level recruits never seem to come out the gates like we need them to. I’m hoping she turns it around because the potential is there.

Last edited:
I didn’t except to really win this game with Davis and a half injured Marta back, what I am concerned with is the continued poor performance from Horston.

She’s a integral part of our future and I just haven’t seen an improvement from her freshman year. For some reason, our high level recruits never seem to come out the gates like we need them to. I’m hoping she turns it around because the potential is there.

I fear this was a little preview of life next season. For those expecting Horston to step in and fill Rennia's shoes... she isn't.

Everyone take a breath...Nothing to get worried about...Hug your wife/husband, or pet your dog, or stroke your cat, or talk to your bird, or feed your goldfish.

We lost a game, no big deal, so relax... This game was probably a loss once Davis was ruled out.....She's our Achilles, every team has one, and she's a damn good one too....

We'll kick the shift out of our next opponent, I guarantee it.

achilles-hero.jpg

Everyone take a breath...Nothing to get worried about...Hug your wife/husband, or pet your dog, or stroke your cat, or talk to your bird, or feed your goldfish.

We lost a game, no big deal, so relax... This game was probably a loss once Davis was ruled out.....She's our Achilles, every team has one, and she's a damn good one too....

Don't worry, this is business as usual for the Lady Vols. Need time with a new coach, few more years.

Reactions: JohnnyPayne

Isn't our next opponent Texas A&M ?

Well, could have been a memorable comeback win under adverse circumstances, but alas...it was not meant to be.

Areas to shore up:

1. We need zone-busters who can work the seamsshoot the opponent out of their zone;

2. Need to cut out the live ball turnovers that result in easy layups;

3. When turnovers do occur, have to always hustle back;

4. Need to hit free throws consistently. Misses should be the exception.

With Horston and Walker both way off on their shots it could be a long night.

And this announcer is the biggest homer I have ever heard.

The TV feed was using the UK Sports Network audio, not sure why they didn't do a full SECN+ production as usual.

The ironic thing is the homer UK announcer is Darren Headrick, a Tennessee grad who will likely replace Mickey whenever he retires here.

Reactions: Eric Viesturs
I, too, was proud of the fight our ladies showed. Until I see the replay, can't comment on the effort on stopping the 24 points KY got on turnovers, which sounded like easy layups. We all knew that we have a young, inexperienced bench that is limited at this time and that we need all of our firepower to realistically stay with ranked opponents. Even then, we managed to overcome a large deficit to enter the 4th quarter with a one-point lead, and we held Howard to eight points on 4-13 shooting. It's not like we rolled over helplessly.

Kellie said in the immediate post-game with Dearstone that turnovers resulting in easy baskets and missed free throws were keys along with not shooting effectively against the zone. Tamari actually shot 80% FG, but she only got off 5 shots. Rae took 23 shots to get 22 points, whereas Patterson's 21 points came on 16 shots. Our starting guards last night continued their shooting woes which extended to 3-10 FT shooting.

Looking for the box score, I accidentally landed on a UK homer site. The recap made me smile, as it was written to make it sound like UK had immensely improved since the first meeting (citing improved rebounding, for example). No mention at all of Davis's absence (Burrell was only LV mentioned at all). But the person did note that although Howard only had 8 points, she "effected" [sic] the game in other ways. 😆

A Louisville paper was much more balanced, noting that "star senior" Davis couldn't travel with team due to Covid restrictions and that she had put up 14 points and 20 rebounds the first game.

Overall, the result was not shocking or evem all that surprising. Look at the Conn-SC game. As sloppy and uninspired as SC played, where would Conn have been without a freshman guard scoring their last 13 points including 9 in overtime (and 31 overall)? Sometimes even talent-laden teams still depend mightily upon that one or two players to deliver. And we don't have the bench of a Conn, especially with experienced Green and McCoy sidelined and Suarez temporarily hobbled. KY got lucky to catch us on a night when Davis wasn't available.

Last edited:

Wanna wager?😂😂

Walker with 9 rebounds leading the team? That alone should have fans riled up. Of course Key and Kk didn't step up. UK has been average at best the last few games. Howard was straight garbage and UK won by 15. Those recruits better be good coming in next season.

Reactions: therealitytheory

VN Store

Back