N.I.L.

We are in a nice 2nd tier - look at cities where universities are - where a lot of the advertising will occur.

Knoxville vs:

Tuscaloosa, Athens, and Gainesville lolol. We have double, if not more, the population of these towns.

We are in a great spot vs SEC opponents.

Now the top tier are Columbus and Austin. They have 800-1m population and little professional competition.
Advertising is not going to be limited to the town the college is in. At best, the draw of our brand will be substantially the same as our conference rivals, in fact, that's likely. It's not going to be an advantage though. An advantage over Vanderbilt, sure, but not Alabama, Florida, etc.

Last edited:
They aren't employees in any shape form or fashion. They are students that play a game. Not saying it's fair or not fair. I think paying them is a good idea. But they aren't employees nor contractors.

Neither being a student nor playing a game precludes someone from being an employee. I was an employee of UT while also a student. The fact that they’re playing football instead of tutoring football players just sounds like a different job function.

Reactions: GoVolsGo54
Neither being a student nor playing a game precludes someone from being an employee. I was an employee of UT while also a student. The fact that they’re playing football instead of tutoring football players just sounds like a different job function.

Student athletes can be employeed also. None have time for it though. As it stands now, they aren't employees, or they would be receiving a wage. Maybe that changes. I like that better than turning college football into semi-pro.

Last edited:
The poster I responded to literally said “fear”.

Why worry about any of this? Nothing is official to tell us exactly what it’s gonna look like. Also it has zero affect on the majority of our lives (assuming some in here might be in marketing or school admin).

And it should start whenever they want it to start. Players are people just like everyone else. At the same age everyone else can go make money, they should be able to make the money in the market that is afforded to them.

And you’re good with them being paid but not with them deciding how to spend their own money? That’s a curious take.

And they are employees whether you want to label them that or not. They are unpaid employees in a multi-billion dollar business.

This isn’t really that complicated.

However, once players can start receiving payment what stops these companies from hiring talent scouts that double as parents and coaches to help in a competitive market. Lots of moving pieces.

If they pay students, football players or not, they are employees. If they are allowed to make money because of they are athletes who are attending a college, they are self employed and are responsible for all the taxes , including SS taxes the same as any other self employed person. If they don't, the IRS can arrest them just as they can any other person not paying their taxes.

Question: Will we be gettting Name, Image, Likeness checks for our VN Avi's?

Waiting...

I'd suggest the TN legislature get it's **** together.

This says the new law takes effect in July in Alabama. Whether we like the idea or not, if you can go to school in Alabama and get paid by a shirt company or go to a Tennessee school and not get paid.... it'll affect every tier of school that sells player merchandise, not just the Vols.

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey signed a name-image-and-likeness bill for athletes

We may end up screwed on this deal because of state legislators.

I think a lot of people are awaiting the Supreme Court ruling in June. I think it's why many of these proposed laws don't take effect until July. They'll all be moot in my opinion.

VN Store

Back