Managing Our Expectations

Big151Orange

Rapture Ready, Are You?
Came across this information while doing research for something totally unrelated, but thought this was interesting. The following are the stats for Troy Aikman’s career at Dallas. I don’t know how to post a link, but the article was on Sportscasting.com, Feb. 2020 if anyone needs to validate.

12 Years
94-71 record
61% completion rate
165 TD, 141 INT

At first glance, these numbers aren’t overly impressive, yet we know he went to the Pro Bowl 6 times, won 3 Super Bowls, and inducted into the HOF. This included a 1-15 first year with new ownership (J Jones) and HC (J Johnson). I see some similarities with that scenario and where UT football is right now. I hope our fan base doesn’t go bezerk if our first season with a totally revamped football program, if we don’t live up to “their” expectations. Stats don’t always tell the whole story, and I hope we can be patient with the process and not burn down our own ship.

I'm still expecting 6 and 6 even though don't know what the defense will look like. Should've been a lot better than 3 and 7 last season no reason to lose to Kentucky and Arkansas any coach should be able to get middle of the league talent up to win games like that.

Two major differences between college and pro football are the salary cap and the reverse order draft. In theory good schools stay strong, and weak ones remain weak. We seem to be the exception, where a strong program falls over the cliff. Can we climb back up?

2018-Apr30-steveluvender-talladega-gifs-8.gif

Remember that

Troy Aikman was surrounded by the greatest supporting cast in the history of professional football.

I thought he was an above average QB myself and not a Hall of Famer, and that was by the standards of his day.

JMO

Came across this information while doing research for something totally unrelated, but thought this was interesting. The following are the stats for Troy Aikman’s career at Dallas. I don’t know how to post a link, but the article was on Sportscasting.com, Feb. 2020 if anyone needs to validate.

12 Years
94-71 record
61% completion rate
165 TD, 141 INT

At first glance, these numbers aren’t overly impressive, yet we know he went to the Pro Bowl 6 times, won 3 Super Bowls, and inducted into the HOF. This included a 1-15 first year with new ownership (J Jones) and HC (J Johnson). I see some similarities with that scenario and where UT football is right now. I hope our fan base doesn’t go bezerk if our first season with a totally revamped football program, if we don’t live up to “their” expectations. Stats don’t always tell the whole story, and I hope we can be patient with the process and not burn down our own ship.
Sure. But he can't underperform the talent as Jones did. He cannot mismanage the QB position and fail to inspire the team like Pruitt did. He cannot get blown out by all of the big 3 much less the likes of UK at home.

In short, he has to show improvement.... and not in year 5. We need to see a better effort this fall. If we do... the floor for this team with this schedule should be 6 wins. In fact, the last three failed HC's have only gotten 5 wins in year one. Six or 7 wins would be an indication that CJH could be the "right guy". The team has enough talent to achieve that mark.

We went 3-7 last season and have basically been a bottom feeder in the SEC for about 20 years. We shouldn't have any expectations.
Amen. UT fans and their (our) expectations remind me, of me, when I think I can go play pro soccer with a bunch of 20 year old's when I am 41. Now pro female soccer? Of course. MLS? Maybe. But real professional soccer? No way.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Expectations? I expect us to run a squeaky clean football program for the next 4-5 years. Other than that I don't have any. Just high hopes that we come out better .

Sunshine Pumpers expect gold, but if it turns out to be poop, find a way to be positive about it.

Nega-Vols expect poop, but if it turns out to be gold, find a way to disdain it (anything short of a national title; heck, they might find a way to cast disdain even then).

Most folks are stuck somewhere in between those two, hoping for good results and more than anything progress; being unhappy if it doesn't come about; but supporting our program no matter what.

I'd say we're managing our own expectations well enough already. More or less.

Go Vols!

Sunshine Pumpers expect gold, but if it turns out to be poop, find a way to be positive about it.

Nega-Vols expect poop, but if it turns out to be gold, find a way to disdain it (anything short of a national title; heck, they might find a way to cast disdain even then).

Most folks are stuck somewhere in between those two, hoping for good results and more than anything progress; being unhappy if it doesn't come about; but supporting our program no matter what.

I'd say we're managing our own expectations well enough already. More or less.

Go Vols!
A noisy 10% on the truly "negavol" end and probably 25% on the sunshine pumper side. The latter are always in danger of becoming nega when their rosy expectations are disappointed. It happens often with highly rated recruits that don't become immediate impact players.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Sure. But he can't underperform the talent as Jones did. He cannot mismanage the QB position and fail to inspire the team like Pruitt did. He cannot get blown out by all of the big 3 much less the likes of UK at home.

In short, he has to show improvement.... and not in year 5. We need to see a better effort this fall. If we do... the floor for this team with this schedule should be 6 wins. In fact, the last three failed HC's have only gotten 5 wins in year one. Six or 7 wins would be an indication that CJH could be the "right guy". The team has enough talent to achieve that mark.

I agree with everything you said. It seems like Pruitt and Fulmer couldn’t get out of their own way, and I’m glad both are gone. I appreciate Fulmer’s love for the university, but I don’t believe he was a good fit long term. That being said, the potential of the team right now is better than it was when both of them were put into place three years ago. Hopefully, new coaches can work together as a cohesive staff, building brick by brick, rowing the boat together, pulling the rope in the same direction, Yada Yada Yada, etc. IF they can do that, 6-7 wins should be achievable and we look competitive against the big 3 in year one.

12 Years
94-71 record
61% completion rate
165 TD, 141 INT

Hush! I am overstocked in torches and pitchforks. You are hurting my bottom line with this.

Reactions: Big151Orange

12 Years
94-71 record
61% completion rate
165 TD, 141 INT

Dallas was capitulated to their mini dynasty because of one thing, the Herschel Walker trade. Aikman was a capable starter but not a superstar that benefitted from a helluva OL , Rb and fast,athletic Defense.

2018-Apr30-steveluvender-talladega-gifs-8.gif

Remember that

So, Cowboys went 1-15 first year. Guess they should have traded Aikman after that first year? Heupel doesn’t win the east, he’s a failure? Point I’m trying to make is some people look simply at Heupel’s record, or he was at a non P5 school, or whatever it is they want to focus on, and find a reason to believe he can’t make UT relevant in the SEC again. At this point in time, NO ONE knows whether he can or can’t, and I’m hoping the fan base gives him a chance. And by your logic, all cfb fans not yelling “Roll Tide” are following losers. So why even follow the sport if that’s how you feel?

Reactions: 24/7vol and Ratvol
It will be a dog fight to win 6 games. Depends on how much talent we have left or can manage to get from portal. How fast we pick up new offensive scheme. Plus what even will our defensive scheme look like. If we win 6 with a possible no bowl due to ban. Id be happy. This will not be a quick fix like we expected from dooley butch or pruitt. They left Heupel with a crap shoot.

Reactions: Ratvol

VN Store

Back