Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure it was right there in his post.

Uh no

The only schools he named were schools that ran the 3-3-5 in their Nickel defense packages. That doesn’t tell me anything about schools that run it as their base defense. Not even close sorry

then If it’s all over the league as you say there has to be one other success story out there besides Iowa state that claims to run a “3-3-5”

I want to hear all these great places doing it.

So what does the 3-3-5 look like on 3rd and 2? I don’t know and would love to see how it differs from the traditional nickel that other places run
i'm not gonna get hung up in this debate, but i'll just say you're getting hung up on the "name"...Hank's right, if you just go on personnel groupings, these "base" looks fluctuate all the time based on down/distance and situation...that 5th defensive back is that hybrid guy that can really go back and forth between OLB and SS....and the other OLB can go back and forth between DE/OLB....

anyway. you can call it what you want...but one play you may have 4 guys with their hand in the dirt, the very next play, you may have 8 guys standing up....

i'd say a better name is "multiple"....

carry on.

This is so true. Our basketball team isn’t perfect. They are really good though. As someone that lived through the Houston era in Knoxville, I never take for granted a UT basketball team that will make the tournament and has the ability to play with anyone.

This team has holes yes, inconsistent - absolutely, but they play hard and have a chance to win every game. There are only a few teams in UT BB history that were this good.

Enjoy it!

I choose Joy.
This is true. Get very frustrated, as a competitive person, to see them go ice cold on the floor and just not play well. Seems to be little adjustment, and grand confusion to a zone trap.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Well for one you’re putting too much stock these personnel groupings. There’s really no such thing as 4-3 or 3-4 base anymore Bc you’re not in it enough. You spend usually 75% of plays in some kind of nickel Set so that’s what should be the focus.

Bama,Georgia, (since Kirby), and LSU (since arranda) have been playing 3-3-5 as their primary nickel for a while now but people try to spin it as some under 3-4 look which is just wrong. Example:

View attachment 347969
View attachment 347971

View attachment 347972
3 Down Lineman
3 LBs
5 DBs

I’m not sure where this “weird or foreign” defense comes from. It’s all over the league. You’re basically picking between 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 at this point. It just depends on the make up of your current team. We are severely lacking playmakers on defense especially at edge/Lbs so i doubt we go 3-3-5 as much as 4-2-5. And i also think we could move some guys around to make some decent 4-2-5 ends and worry less about LBs.

You still hearing the same names for DC? Any idea when it might be announced?

I know we are a highly emotional bunch and I'm not caught up at all, but @drvenner is one of our own in the RF. Let's keep it civil.
Not sure how to respond. I think everyone is messing with me because my name is so similar to my Avi's name and maybe you are playing along? I admittedly have not had much coffee today.

This is true. Get very frustrated, as a competitive person, to see them go ice cold on the floor and just not play well. Seems to be little adjustment, and grand confusion to a zone trap.
that cold spell last night was very frustrating, and i think for me, i just can't see a team that's supposed to be as good as we are supposed to be....being capable of being THAT bad offensively....especially against a team that clearly is not as good...

i'm not gonna get stuck on that game or anything, plenty left for this team to accomplish, but i'd of felt a whole lot better about things if we'd just go ahead and take care of business against the teams we're supposed to. and last night was one of those games.....cause the reality is you don't know what team is going to show up...the KU/@MO one or the OM/UF one? if it's the latter, we won't be long for this world come post season play.

i'm not gonna get hung up in this debate, but i'll just say you're getting hung up on the "name"...Hank's right, if you just go on personnel groupings, these "base" looks fluctuate all the time based on down/distance and situation...that 5th defensive back is that hybrid guy that can really go back and forth between OLB and SS....and the other OLB can go back and forth between DE/OLB....

anyway. you can call it what you want...but one play you may have 4 guys with their hand in the dirt, the very next play, you may have 8 guys standing up....

i'd say a better name is "multiple"....

carry on.

I get that but here is the way I see a base 3-3-5 vs the teams he mentioned that play a 3-3-5 in certain passing downs when they are in the nickel

The team that plays the 4-3 or even the 3-4 just replace a LB with a 5th DB when it’s a passing down and they want to play the nickel. That’s what we see with Georgia, Bama and LSU that @HankHill mentioned

it’s my assumption the base 3-3-5 would keep the same personale on the field more and thus requires that 5th DB to be more Versatile being able to be a run stopper and good in pass coverages. So as you say that hybrid player is very important.

You still hearing the same names for DC? Any idea when it might be announced?
tenor.gif

That todd Orlando defense was a big reason they had such a good first year. It caused them to have to give him a raise because Notre dame and LSU tried to steal him. I think he was the highest paid dc for a year. It didn't fail because of the system. It failed because everything started to deteriorate under Herman's poor leadership. Orlando went to USC and improved their total team defense by 40 yards per game and .3 TDs per game. The year before he got to Texas they gave up 449 yards per game. He improved that to 367 in his first year which is incredibly low in the big 12. Second year was still pretty good at 394. 3rd year was his only bad year and he went to USC and improved their defense. So there's another major program running it. So in his 4 years in major programs, 3 were really good. Nice try though.

I thinks it’s about proven over last decade or more that you can’t have a dominant defense at TX until they recruit defensively on national basis. Mushchamp and Diaz weren’t very dominant there either then had dominate defenses once they got back to SEC. TX in state players are all about offense and soft on defense. Just the way it is there now

Reactions: Sleegro
then If it’s all over the league as you say there has to be one other success story out there besides Iowa state that claims to run a “3-3-5”

I want to hear all these great places doing it.

So what does the 3-3-5 look like on 3rd and 2? I don’t know and would love to see how it differs from the traditional nickel that other places run
That’s the thing you’re going to matchup with whatever the offense comes out in and in those situations that someone comes out in a heavy or bulky package. But even on those 3rd and 4th and shorts... you’re gonna have some teams That still elect to come out in 11 or 10 personnel so you have to keep at least 4 or 5 DBs on the field.

The hardest thing to defend in the league right now is bama’s running game when they come out in 3 and 4 WR sets.

Reactions: Sleegro
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back