What if?

Milehigh_Vol

Ok hear me out...

We have loved all our hires previously (51% of fan base) and lost everything... what if since its somebody we dont like it turns things around?

Us not liking the hire may give him more drive to win..

Just trying to stay positive.

This hire is going to be a HUGE improvement over Pruitt—with the bonus of Fulmer finally being out of the way. We will likely have an innovative and aggressive offense (Yay!) and Heupel has already worked with the AD so there is consistency there. Let's rock.

And we must again. Heupel is here like it or not and we as the fan base have no choice but to accept it. But I like the idea of using reverse psychology to get some success.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Ok hear me out...

We have loved all our hires previously (51% of fan base) and lost everything... what if since its somebody we dont like it turns things around?

I think hiring White is the big win.

Heupel may or may not be "the one" but he's sure to provide an exciting offense to watch and a fresh start. After a decade of good ol' boy shenanigans, we need this.

I think hiring White is the big win.

Heupel may or may not be "the one" but he's sure to provide an exciting offense to watch and a fresh start. After a decade of good ol' boy shenanigans, we need this.
Both will exit together.
Losses will seal the deal.
COVID, NCAA penalty, portal or whatever... only wins count.
SNAFU at UT in 3-4 years.
Rinse -repeat.
It is our specialty.
Like some others, I possibly could be considered jaded.
Hope I am wrong this time.

Both will exit together.
Rinse -repeat.
It is our specialty.
Doubt it, this time. I believe admin is turning the corner from "business as usual." Had we stuck with Fulmer, promoted Steele to HC, moved Tee toward OC, etc I'd think rinse, repeat.

I believe White has real chops for getting a real coach. TN isn't a great landing spot right now, as he discovered, but given stability and a year or so out of NCAA hits, if Heupel isn't progressing..... I believe White WILL land winner.

TN asked for an awful lot in a few days from White and it wasn't doable but not because he sucks but because where we are sucks. I hope Heupel succeeds but if he doesn't, White will have a better position to negotiate from in about 4 years.

Ok hear me out...

Who the hell is 'us' that doesn't like the hire? I've seen at least 90% positivity--and that's on VN, the King of negativity.

Ok hear me out...

Who is the "us" not liking this hire? He is at least "equal" to the hires made since Fulmer... and that's with the NCAA stuff looming. All things considered this was a good hire. I don't know what he might do. The deck is stacked against him even if he's very capable. But if UT couldn't get one of 2 or maybe 3 "big name" hires as apparently they couldn't then why pay Chadwell or someone like that $6 million compared to Heupel at $4 million? The lower HC contract leaves more money to pay assistants.

Ok hear me out...

I'm very optimistic about Coach Heupel and think he will do a good job.

Both will exit together.
Rinse -repeat.
It is our specialty.
First off, CJH signed a 6 year contract. Secondly, his contract has a clause that says if there are certain NCAA sanctions that his contact is automatically extended to a 7 year contract. The only way he leaves in 3-4 years is on his own accord. Which means he has been very successful in bringing the program back.

Reactions: So.ProVOL
Ok hear me out...

UnderstatedFirmCaracal-max-1mb.gif

First off, CJH signed a 6 year contract. Secondly, his contract has a clause that says if there are certain NCAA sanctions that his contact is automatically extended to a 7 year contract. The only way he leaves in 3-4 years is on his own accord. Which means he has been very successful in bringing the program back.
Let us review
Mr. Orange Britches.................3 years
Hornblower .................................5 years
Bubba Gump................................3 years
All gone before their contracts expired.
All gone because they lost to much.
Win or be gone.
That has not changed.
Length of contract only defines the amount of buyout, not how long a person will be HC.

Let us review
Mr. Orange Britches.................3 years
Hornblower .................................5 years
Bubba Gump................................3 years
All gone before their contracts expired.
All gone because they lost to much.
Win or be gone.
That has not changed.
Length of contract only defines the amount of buyout, not how long a person will be HC.
My point was that he got a long contract due to the state of the program. Fans will always have inflated expectations, but the administration is going to be more realistic. Our offense will almost be guaranteed to be good under Coach JH. If we can field an average defense we will have a winning record (not necessarily talking about year one). Will fans be content with 8 and 9 win seasons without beating the big 3 for 3-4 years? I think if this happens and we are competitive in the losses, he deserves 5-6 years. We are rock bottom right now (by UT standards).

Ok hear me out...
I appreciate the attempt to find positives in the negatives.

But you don't have to look that far. Because, according to a poll run on this very board in the past few days, it turns out we're about 75% supportive of Josh Heupel. Poll: What’s everyone’s take on the hire. Are you . And if we're 75%, the larger Volunteer Nation have to be up around 90%+...because we're the loud, obnoxious, hard-to-please pointy end of the fan base.

It turns out, this isn't someone we don't like. Rather, it is someone none of us anticipated...he wasn't the name at the top of any threads, unlike Kiffin and Freeze and Malzahn and Campbell and Franklin and .... well, the list is pretty long.

No one saw Josh Heupel coming. Not even Josh Heupel.

But that's not the same as saying we dislike the hire. Apparently, we're largely okay with it, and willing to see how it works out. Maybe even mildly excited about a return to entertaining, high-octane offensive football.

Last edited:
Ok hear me out...

I've had this same thought.

No choice but to support him. This job is a uphill battle anymore. Internal power struggle and some mindboggling decisions by those people have made this a unattractive job to anyone worth their salt.. I applaud Heupel for taking it on. He has his work cut out for him.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I'm cautiously optimistic that Paul Finebaum's reaction to this hire *might* be a positive sign. He was all wrong on the Pruitt hire. Loved Pruitt, said he was doing all the right things, until here recently when he jumped on the bandwagon and tossed him under the bus.

Both will exit together.
Rinse -repeat.
It is our specialty.

Your optimism is overwhelming.

Go VOLS

Ok hear me out...

BS. Trying to to convince someone that your negative approach should really be a positive is a failure. In addition "what if" questions are almost always negative because the questions and answers are based on speculation and not facts.

I've been watching this for a long time. Closest parallel I see is dating back to 1964 and the hiring of an assistant nobody knew from Arkansas. He had played QB at Florida. We all got on board and had a fun ride for the next six years. He put one national championship banner on the wall at Neyland! I attended every game in 1967! Anybody else?

Reactions: CR-vol
This hire is going to be a HUGE improvement over Pruitt—with the bonus of Fulmer finally being out of the way. We will likely have an innovative and aggressive offense (Yay!) and Heupel has already worked with the AD so there is consistency there. Let's rock.
I agree , but I'm actually more excited to have Fulmer out of the picture.

Reactions: Doberman

VN Store

Back