Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Roc Taylor stuff seems like a hit. Byron is Pruitts boy. Pruitt wasn’t signing him either but told him to wait and see if he could find another place. He apparently can’t and now trying to blame TN
Lane was supposedly trying hard to flip him...you’re welcome!

Only it wasn't. Yes, Pruitt was planning to git shirt him, but obviously hadn't done so yet. I imagine JH could have watched 15 minutes of Roc's highlights and decided he wasn't a fit. If he had done that a week ago, I think the story is a lot different. The story isn't the pulling of a scholarship offer. The story is the timing of pulling that offer. I really don't think most of you understand that. You've gone all defensive, just like we, as a fanbase, have done over all our past coaches when they made mistakes. For whatever reason, it's only when we're about to fire a coach that we go all in on calling out their mistakes. Otherwise we defend them with our dying breath. Not sure I can do that anymore.
Pro tip: stop caring what others think about you.

Dang Weez..you going off the deep end about this..."stupid and silly mistakes"....really?..come on man.

It seems to me like you are jumping all over this just because you are pissed we hired Heupel...all you have done all week is bitched about it.
Actually, I'm putting aside emotions on this one. And I'm not pissed we hired JH. I'm disappointed, because I hoped for a more proven coach. I'm willing to see what JH can do. But I'm not going to believe he's perfect and Infallible just because he's UT's coach. We did that with every previous coach until we didn't, and how did that work out? I'm taking off the orange-colored glasses to see reality more clearly. This isn't the end of the world, but it was an easily avoidable mistake. I really hope JH succeeds here. I want him to succeed here. But what do we serve if we don't acknowledge when he makes a mistake? He could have handled this situation better. I really hope he learns from this, because we need him to.

Reactions: MIT_Beaver and sona
Only it wasn't. Yes, Pruitt was planning to git shirt him, but obviously hadn't done so yet. I imagine JH could have watched 15 minutes of Roc's highlights and decided he wasn't a fit. If he had done that a week ago, I think the story is a lot different. The story isn't the pulling of a scholarship offer. The story is the timing of pulling that offer. I really don't think most of you understand that. You've gone all defensive, just like we, as a fanbase, have done over all our past coaches when they made mistakes. For whatever reason, it's only when we're about to fire a coach that we go all in on calling out their mistakes. Otherwise we defend them with our dying breath. Not sure I can do that anymore.
How do we know that Heupel didn’t watch 15 minutes of film on his first day of work, decide he wasn’t a fit and then either tell Roc “no thanks” or just not contact him at all? If I hadn’t heard anything from Heupel after day 2 or 3 I’d assume I was no longer wanted at TN.

Pro tip: stop caring what others think about you.

I think it’s funny that this is the one thing that people should get upset about in regards to Tennessee football...that and Kevin Steele. It could be worse we could have a zero win football team other than a blimp careening into Neyland stadium I think we are cool.

Its semantics but CJH hasn't even been here a week. Another variable is his WR Coach, is it Tee? Is it Kody? Is it someone else? That said, by the time he settled on who it was (and I'm sure it's settled) you would also want their 2 cents on the player they will be coaching. This is a few days into the one million other items we have hoisted on the Coach and said he must immediately get done.

SIAP, AP said on Nashville radio the other day that CJH has been working 21 hour days since he started. Maybe hyperbole, but I bet he's been pulling crazy hours in less than 6 days on the job.

Because they're kids, and we're grown ups.

17/18 isn't a kid... really hate that narrative. These young men got a lot of life ahead of them, and if they think these handlers or coaches they spend a few hours with are looking out for their best interest they are wrong.

We've had how many with signed NLI hashtagging #FreeMe since the hiring of our new head coach, and now he shoots it straight with a kid after doing an evaluation on him and Heupel's the bad guy? I mean I guess he could have offered him an opportunity to walk-on and earn his scholarship, but hell that would have been an expensive "maybe"

Roc's name is floating around now cause of this "bush league" move. That's all he wanted, for other teams to know he was available thinking that's why he wasn't getting any calls...truth is if he was highly desired the calls wouldn't have stopped, especially once Pruitt was fired.

Everybody cares what others think of them. Society would break down otherwise.

What you need to do is stop caring about what jerks think of you.

Then if you're a real sociopath you can label anyone who criticizes you a jerk.

I disagree with you. This is the unfortunate business of football. Million similar stories every year...by a million other programs. I’m not sold one way or the other on Heupel, but that doesn’t warrant contriving this as a unique situation.

How do we know that Heupel didn’t watch 15 minutes of film on his first day of work, decide he wasn’t a fit and then either tell Roc “no thanks” or just not contact him at all? If I hadn’t heard anything from Heupel after day 2 or 3 I’d assume I was no longer wanted at TN.
There was a story, I believe last week, that Roc still planned to sign with UT. Believe it was a 247 article, but not positive. Point being, he thought he still had the option. What he "should have known" and what he thought are two different things.

But I'm done arguing. If you refuse to see the point I've been trying to make, I can't force you to see it. Logic doesn't always override emotion.

Actually, I'm putting aside emotions on this one. And I'm not pissed we hired JH. I'm disappointed, because I hoped for a more proven coach. I'm willing to see what JH can do. But I'm not going to believe he's perfect and Infallible just because he's UT's coach. We did that with every previous coach until we didn't, and how did that work out? I'm taking off the orange-colored glasses to see reality more clearly. This isn't the end of the world, but it was an easily avoidable mistake. I really hope JH succeeds here. I want him to succeed here. But what do we serve if we don't acknowledge when he makes a mistake? He could have handled this situation better. I really hope he learns from this, because we need him to.
Go get em. 😴

There was a story, I believe last week, that Roc still planned to sign with UT. Believe it was a 247 article, but not positive. Point being, he thought he still had the option. What he "should have known" and what he thought are two different things.

But I'm done arguing. If you refuse to see the point I've been trying to make, I can't force you to see it. Logic doesn't always override emotion.
Logic varies depending on the individual.

lmao, I don't. I care how our program is perceived. We all should, because most recruits don't grow up UT fans and all they know is perception. It's not about "me", Ron. It's about UT football.

Well just FYI outside of Knoxville the perception of the program hasn’t been good for a while. So a high school handler that got his feelings hurt because his kid got his scholarship pulled falls somewhere between Schiano Sunday and the Red Wedding of Pruitt and his staff. It’s a blip. I think a lot of people forget that the kids getting recruited don’t have too many memories of Tennessee football being good—being elite. They might know Peyton Manning or Alvin Kamara but 20 somethings have only known UT to be an also ran. It’s easy to get overly defensive because we haven’t been good. We all naturally point the fingers when the CJH is hiring the defensive coordinator and it’s not fast enough “for the fans.” Like the guy was expected to lay it out for the fans in the initial presser. I say let him do what he does—not saying sunshine pump just be realistic and wait until we see some ball games before passing judgements. I’m sure people will call for his firing if he doesn’t hire Kevin Steele.

Its easy to throw stones at a guy who's only been on the job a week. Lord knows he had nothing to do during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back