If a Saban Crony couldn't right the ship, why would we expect an AAC coach to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure who all would of come to Tennessee under these circumstances. So to sit here and act like Gruden or urban would of dropped everything and come running is commical. Im just glad we got heupel we could of done alot worse. Im actually greatful hes willing to take on this mess. This will take awhile to fix unlike any hire in the last 3 hires and we can thank the administration for it. No one could come right in and fix what pruitt and staff has done. Maybe Heupel. will see i wish him the absolute best!

All of Saban’s defensive cronies suck. Pruitt sucked, Muschamp sucked and Kirby is just lucky that he’s in the nations recruiting hotbed because let’s face it, given the talent he has he’s not exactly an all star.

The man hasn't even coached a game here yet but you want to label him a failure already. It speaks volumes about you.
I guess the fact I was right about the Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt hires despite so many telling me how great of hires they were means nothing. Ok.

Nice input to the thread...do you disagree?
YES.

And the sooner "Hoople" starts to win, the sooner you can gtfo and stop posting.

You sit here day after day ,and post negative crap about the man when he hasn't even had the chance to coach a game here yet.

It's 8 months till the first game, and people like you and Golfballs can only think to trash Tennessee until he proves you wrong....

Because that's the job he's been hired to do.

If I hire someone to correct problems in a weak department... the standard doesn't change even if I have to replace them. The job is the same.

Heupel may or may not have the right resume. But he now has the job. Your endless desire to discuss whether he should have gotten the job or whether someone else could/should have been hired are pretty useless at this point. All that matters now is what he does with the opportunity.

No matter how many years someone spends with Saban they’ll never be him. I’ve learned that these type of people are very rare. Saban, Bryant, Neyland, Manning, General Patton & Washington. There are no elite groups, only elite people, and they are very unique and rare. They only come around once and awhile. Even their own children never accomplish what they do usually, and they share DNA.

Reactions: BackwoodsMan
The coaching "standard" on here is SaBan. So I feel like this is actually a valid question. As to Hoople, probably a great guy. I just have a hard time getting past the last 3 failed hires where all the same defenses of the hires were being made. I will stop posting negative things about Hoople and give him a chance, not because you told me to, but because I have no choice. He is here and apparently Volnation is not a place where you can express an opinion.

Pruitt was a Defensive minded person. That is a old school way of playing football. We now have a high scoring offensive minded HC. He must hire a great DC. Just because Pruitt coached for Saban doesn't mean anything. Saban is really good coach but if he didn't have a stable full of 5* players he would just be average. If you don't believe great players are important. Look at what Belichick and the Patriots did this year without Brady. Brady is just one player and the drop off was unreal. I would love to see what Saban could do at Vandy. He wins a Natty there and I will take back what I have said about his coaching ability. What Bama has is some of the best Bag Men in the NCAA. They have generations of experience.

Last edited:
YES.

And the sooner "Hoople" starts to win, the sooner you can gtfo and stop posting.

You sit here day after day ,and post negative crap about the man when he hasn't even had the chance to coach a game here yet.

It's 8 months till the first game, and people like you and Golfballs can only think to trash Tennessee until he proves you wrong....

Yep and when they get proved wrong like the BB negas saying Barnes just here to collect retirement check and hated the hire. Then they come back and say GBO like they were on board all the time, hoping no one's bumps a thread sans the trolls they don't care its what they do.
It's alright to ? a hire but to obsess over it is a little on the mental side or you're trolling from your mama's basement.

Because it's Sabans system and how hard is it to call plays with 22 5 Stars on the field
This for sure, When I coached youth basketball we put kids names in a hat if they didn’t try out because you don’t know their skill level. One year I drew 4 of 5 that would have been A players had they showed up and the other was a B. The coaching I did was determining when to substitute. Great players make a coach great. Now, if you have good players,and cannot coach we see TN the last 3 years. Saban changed qbs at halftime of a NC game, NC won. Pruitt kept trotting JG out. Pruitt gets fired. Enough said.

It would not be hard to find I was of the opinion that if we could not get a generally accepted homerun hire that we should go the Steele interim route while the NCAA dust settled and we could establish what a coach would be dealing with next cycle. I think we have had to enter the replacement market too late or danced to long with several of our hires and should have considered this option.

But like with every hire I will hope that we have selected wisely or plain old got lucky and the coach selected and the circumstances produce the results we hope for. I feared getting Kiffin off the Al Davis scrap heap, thought we were banking on heredity with Dooley, was hoping that Butch would continue to grow and progress like he did on his first two stops following his more successful mentor, and thought maybe just maybe Pruitt had paid attention to the methodologies of a string of bosses on top of his X's and O's expertise. They, somewhat like this guy, arrived with risk/reward issues. We know the rest.

Specifically on our new coach, I will be hoping, not counting on, that he has taken the best advantage of the learning opportunities he has had in the college game. It would also not be hard to find I have no love for the air that surrounds the Pirate. I like the results of his offensive strategies but his whole public demeanor not so much. The end of the MSU bowl game pretty much furthered my dislike for him as a face of a program. So I hope Josh absorbed the OC/QB coach elements, but passed on the rest of his attributes. On the other hand, though never a real fan of his HC and later boss Stoops, I remember hearing positive things about the way he put his staff together and how he required that they fulfill their family responsibilities as well as their coaching duties. In a lot of ways I think Oklahoma is a peer in the CFB world. He did it well and got out on his own terms much closer to the top of his game. Hope he took notes there. Not sure what he could have or should have picked up from his MO days, Odom seemed to be a class guy, so no bad habits maybe. He seems to have done reasonably well at UCF with the resources available and expect he has learned a few lessons at that level he can avoid at this level. Does it translate well? Can he grow to meet the demands of this level of CFB? Probably will depend on how he applies the lessons learned at each of those stops. There seems to be a progression. But at least there is a basis for having reasonable expectations of decent odds for him having success. Enough, fast enough? Only time will tell. But a pretty good starting point from where I sit.

Reactions: norriscraftbasser
I guess the fact I was right about the Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt hires despite so many telling me how great of hires they were means nothing. Ok.

I understand being burned but Heupel isn't any of those coaches and I didn't like any of them when they were hired. BUT wouldn't it be better to have just a little optimism as opposed to not? Heupel could turn out to make Dooley look like a great coach but until that happens I want to believe that he'll be more capable than the last 3 were. I'm more concerned who will be coaching defense than I am with Heupel. I have no idea if he'll be successful or not and it may end up with you saying "I told you so" but wouldn't YOU rather be wrong on that?

Saban does not teach "Saban Secrets". Just like a friend of yours makes the best pie in town...you ask for a recipe and you get a list, but there will always be something left out, so yours will not taste just like the best pie in town.
What does Saban do that other coaches don't? Is it really that hard to figure out? Rhetorical, because the answer is obviously yes, but why? It's just football. It's not developing the first rocket engine or controllable airplane.

Good arguments. Name calling when you have no defense.

There is nothing to defend because he has zero body of work at UT.

You're in every thread throwing a tantrum. We get it, you're the kid who didn't get what he wanted so he lays face down in the aisle at Walmart kicking and screaming. We all know your unhappy and honestly just wish you would go home now. The act is old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back