Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you can just extrapolate Heupels Mizzou numbers and say he will do that here. He seems to evolve from year to year. That's probably the trait that excites me the most about him. I'm guessing he's a different play caller and coach now than he was back then.

I'm excited to watch the Vols again. For that reason alone im pretty pleased with the hire. That excitement had pretty much left the building last season for me.

The hire alone. He hired a coach that has overseen a significant decline of a program he took over that happens to be far easier than the SEC. 6-4 year 3 after taking over a 12-0. That is material and the data doesn’t look good. Sure, he has fun offense but clearly he isn’t outperforming his competition.
Or you could say...... he still managed to win 6 games even though 10 players decided to sit out the season.

I don't think you can just extrapolate Heupels Mizzou numbers and say he will do that here. He seems to evolve from year to year. That's probably the trait that excites me the most about him. I'm guessing he's a different play caller and coach now than he was back then.

I'm excited to watch the Vols again. For that reason alone im pretty pleased with the hire. That excitement had pretty much left the building last season for me.

Same here. My initial reaction was wrong. After I learned the way things really were with the search and did more research on him I got on board. Not going to be a cheerleader until I see the D hires are good ones.

Yeah..... I want it to be fun again

What I’ve learned about what you must say in your first press conference from going through a number of coaching searches.
  • Don’t forget to thank your spouse and children for supporting you even though you are disrupting their settled lives.
  • Pay respect to the storied legacy of the football program.
  • Name drop Peyton Manning at least once.
  • Pay homage to the mission of winning championships.
  • Speak to the grandeur and atmosphere of Neyland Stadium.
  • Promise to restore the football program to its historical greatness.
  • Declare that we’re committed to winning immediately.
  • Promise to run the football program the right way.
  • Challenge everyone to get onboard.
  • Make clear that you’re in it for the long haul or until you get fired after 3 years, whichever comes first.
I would add one more
"The money ain't half bad either"

I think concerns about the roster and recruiting are valid. We've lost some of our best players, and we have significant holes to fill. We have young talent, a lack of depth and the team's few leaders are moving on. The SEC is tough and unforgiving.

But... UT will ride with this hire for a long while and he'll have a lot of latitude. In addition to asking the players and fans for a lot of patience, they've been talking to donors about the need for support and tolerance during a difficult rebuild.
I think everyone will be patient as long as the product on the field is entertaining. As long as we're trying to score a bunch of points, I think it's a good start.

[QUOTE="mr.checkerboards, post: 19452601, member: 39440"]And he started a true Freshman QB. After his second upper classmen QB had a devastating injury as well.[/QUOTE]
he should get a complete pass then, we all know around here TRUE Freshman aren't even expected to know what a football looks like.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
So is it bad that supposed UT HC candidate Jeff Fisher is seeking the HC position at Montana State and may not get it? Per Football Scoop this AM.

UCF's 10 years of past recruiting (AAC out of 11 teams, National Ranking)

And notes on Heupel's small classes and *why they are underrated due to large numbers of transfers which do not count toward team scores*

2012 11th 96th
2013 8th 79th
2014 3rd 68th
2015 3rd 71st
2016 4th 65th *Frost
2017 1st 55th *Frost

2018 2nd 62nd (4th highest national rank during 10 years) *Heupel Y1 - 25 commits counting. Brought in 1 P5 transfer.

2019 1st 60th (3rd highest national rank) - only 22 commits count toward score. Brought in EIGHT P5 transfers - which do not count toward score.

2020 7th 75th - *small class* only 20 commits counting toward score - brought in 3 P5 transfers which do not count.

2021 4th 53rd (highest national rank) - only 21 commits counting - 2 more P5 transfers.

Same here. My initial reaction was wrong. After I learned the way things really were with the search and did more research on him I got on board. Not going to be a cheerleader until I see the D hires are good ones.

Yeah I get it. I'll probably be a cheerleader either way lol. I just have more fun in general when I'm looking for ways we can win rather than reasons we should lose. That's my default until a coach proves he's not worth that support anymore.

Hopefully we'll win. If we don't we can fire him in a few years and try again. We should be in a better position to make a great hire. I don't believe we're this cursed program destined to lose forever. I just think we're paying for the nonstop dysfunction over the last decade (maybe 2). We're due to turn it around eventually. I think for once we have an AD that wants to see us win and has a legitimate plan to get us there. Heupel is safe. The wheels shouldn't come off under him. We just don't know if he has the ceiling as a coach to get a championship. If he doesn't, I think our AD will move on when thats clear and we're in the right spot to make a big move.

Heup will be fine in recruiting. He went from someone who was investing with 100,000 to 100,000,000 million.

The increased budget and exposure will naturally help him. Time will tell if he can be elite, but winning and NFL players will help a lot of other areas.
That's a lot of millions

Reactions: volKano
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back