Season 1 “Realistic” Expectations

Vols2015

So, now that we have a coach, what do you think our realistic expectations should be for year 1? Being a 500 win percentage team?

6 - 6 or 5 - 7. All the talent has left the building. He will need to recruit like his job depends on it.

There's absolutely no way this team will have a winning record. They may get one SEC win. I'm not being negative I think thats the reality. I think year 2 will be the same because of poor recruiting that will happen and the NCAA sanctions.

I think the administration will view year 3 as if it was year 1. Next year and the year after wont even count against him at all.

Tennessee will beat TTU and South Alabama and MAYBE Vanderbilt.

5-7 is my expectation unless CJH is a miracle worker which could lead to 6-6. QB development with the current supply and the removal of JG and CJP from the equation should equal at least 5 wins minimum.

(UT+CJH+CurrentQBs)-(JG + CJP)/CoachingMagic = 5 or 6 wins

Reactions: BigOrangeLoyalist
I’m going with 4-8 or 5-7. I think we beat the 3 cupcakes, lose to Pitt, beat Vandy and maybe SC. I will say that I think the Pitt game will be big, win that one and it could change everything the rest of the way.

If Hooker can grasp this offense...we beat South Alabama, Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, Bowling Green, Pitt, Tennessee Tech. Mizzu being a toss up. We still have offensive weapons/speed at WR/RB and his legit dual threat can help over compensate for our thin Oline.

We win 7. And come close to 9, our problem last year was amongst many was not enough points, Pick-6s. JG gone! Love our QB room Huepel GREAT QB COACH! Havent played this Offense yet! No film on them. And un-like last year Defense, new look! Will play inspired because we are actually SCORING!! Big difference when you can get the ball back and do something with it! Vs, doing nothing or throwing pick-6s. And if you are fair? You'll realize nothing I've said is not within reason!🤷‍♂️

If he's a good coach, and he does a good job, then I think he could win between 5-7 games. Honestly, that should be the expectation. Our roster is depleting, but it is still better than TN Tech, Bowling Green, South Alabama, Pitt, and Vanderbilt. Then we have legitimate toss up games with South Carolina, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Missouri.

The bottom of the SEC is still bad. This past year's team, with even competent coaching, would have beaten Kentucky, Arkansas, and Auburn. We have had losses and defections, but who did we really lose that we cannot replace?

Eric Gray's talent will be difficult to replace, but I don't know that his production will be. He didn't have such a dominant season last year that our other runningbacks cannot replicate it.

Hank T - if he leaves - would be a big blow. He was the best defensive player we had last season, and we really could use him in an already thin LB corps.

Bryce is a tough loss. The guy has been a leader for several years now, and losing him stings.

Crouch? At no point has he been so good that he can't be replaced.

Wanya? He yo-yo'd with Jahmir all season because his play has been lackluster.

Jahmir? The coaches played him because Wanya continued to screw up, but it never seemed like they wanted to play Jahmir.

Keyshawn Lawrence could be a great player, but we don't know yet. He's gone, and we just have to make due in the secondary. I attribute him leaving pretty heavily to Jerm's refusal to play young players last year.

We could have used Deondre Johnson, I'll readily admit that.

I just think that there is likely more talent on this team than we are realizing, because they played so uninspired all of last season.

Nine wins in 2021. Last year at this time we had just won seven of our last eight games and everyone was ecstatic. Back then we had a really bad coach and even worse QB.

Reactions: Border Vol
I'll wait till after spring ball and see what happens in the transfer portal
Then make a total random guess

I hope you positive thinkers are right. I look at the team and think, yeah, maybe one or two of the easiest games but there's not an SEC team we can beat right now. We've lost so much talent already and it doesn't seem to be over yet. But like I say, I hope you guys predicting a good season are right and I'm wrong.

VN Store

Back