Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jones went 4-8 at CMU and completely turned them around. Heupel's done even less than Jones had done at the same point in his career.

I don't want Kiffin, but that's not true with Freeze. Freeze had the "landshark" defense with Robert Nkdemiche (I know I butchered that spelling)
He’s not coming here. Ever. Get over it

Reactions: windrider
BuckF

“It’s about what you can do for me in recruiting”

“Recruits will be wait and see. All they know is Tenn is a losing program and it’s cool to go out of state”

Reactions: VolByLaw
So it's still Heupel huh? Like I said, I can't help but feel a little disappointed, but more with the way the hire went down than the actual hire itself.

I will be very interested in how this plays out and what the staff looks like. It's CJH's show now and he is in the big time. He will have all the resources he needs, and if I were him I would pick a couple of key coaches that I trust off my current UCF staff and keep the gems off the UT staff, but would otherwise look to SEC lifers for the majority. He will need some help adjusting, but there is no reason at all to think that he can't. There are plenty of blueprints to work from combining open spread concepts with more conservative time control FB. Clemson, Bama, OSU all come to mind.

As far as the process, I cannot help but think this was a package deal from the beginning. I think that DW hired a search firm to kick the tires on a bunch of coaches and see who bit. Out of those, he looked at who might be better than CJH and he may have even offered somebody (ie Franklin). It may have been that Franklin was the only big fish that was even willing to listen.

The positive side of this is that DW and CJH know each other and work well together. There is a lot to be said for that. DW is more likely to provide additional resources when push comes to shove because he trusts CJH.

Don't hate the hire, but I wouldn't define it as 'exciting'. His teams obviously score points. That is something we didn't do with Pruitt. I think my main concerns would be 1. Can he get the defense side of the ball working, and most importantly 2. Can he recruit.

Really wish we had gotten Franklin. I think that would have generated more excitement. I think we really need that right now. This is going to be a work hard to dig yourself out kind of job. Not going to be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back