Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
JH has coached and developed a heisman winner in Sam Bradford and a 2nd round pick in Drew Locke.... both went on to have lack luster nfl careers... (Locke still playing but days as a starter may be over). So it’s a fair argument to wonder if JH was the main reason for their rise. We have two 5 star QBs and (hooker isn’t a scrub from VT he made some big time plays this year was just up and down) and he’s proven to be a QB/offensive wizard so let’s see what he can do.

Also in 3 years.... he’s lost 7 regular season by 27 points. He’s only lost one game by double digits and it’s was a meaningless bowl game vs byu who has a top 5 QB draft pick.

The more i find out about him the more i like the hire. Props to Danny, he tried to land big fish. Pruitt ruined any chances of that.

Let’s fn ride boys
More like let's trot boys

I also think the conjecture that we avoided Sexton clients is probably accurate, because we would have to show him the results of the internal investigation. That narrowed the range of possibilities. Are Kiffin, Freeze, and Chadwell clients of Sexton?

Again, blame Fulmer and Pruitt for putting us in this position.
i don't know why we didn't really pursue any sexton clients, but it's clearly a choice that was made, i'm assuming that had purpose behind it....(probably controlling flow of information?)

but the one criticism i agree with is , why limit the pool of candidates? or if you do get a bunch of "not interested" at first, why wouldn't you then engage with the rest of the pool?

i never thought freeze was gonna happen, and as much as i want Kiffin, even i knew that wasn't happening. i get why people are dumbfounded at not talking to Chadwell, and i don't have an answer there....

outside of that....eh....i'm gonna ride with JH....don't really have a choice.

Most of us aren’t happy with how this search went but that’s because we believed “insiders” were going to bring us Bob Stoops or Matt Campbell. They didn’t. That sucks. Time to move on, we have Heupel.

Guys, UT recruits itself. Heupel with some good assistants will be top 20 without a doubt, even under this NCAA cloud. Could be Top 10 if he hires guys like Garner and keeps Steele and Graham. At the very least we’re going to be fun to watch on offense. That’ll be a nice change of pace.

Am I doing backflips at this hire? No. But his resume is better than the last few coaches we’ve hired. I’m ready to see what he can do. Let’s go!
Best resume of a coach we’ve hired since Majors 🤷‍♂️

To give AP the scoop was the final shot over the bow for me with the sports media around here. Insulting. Congrats to AP for worming his way into that.

I love the Vols because my dad loved the Vols and went there. I have seen games at Neyland going back to as a kid watching Steve Delong and Walter Chadwick from the north side bleachers. I have a sister and nephew who marched in POTS. I have VFL's and families as friends. Seeing them all as the players ran out onto the field while going to games with dad and our best friends through the decades are some of the best memories I have as a Vol fan.

But I don't love it like I did for all those years anymore. I am tired of having my intelligence insulted by incompetents at UT and in sports media. I am tired of my fandom being taken for granted. Good luck to our version of Eli Drinkwitz. I still hope Mehupel and Big Dollar Danny can restore the past glory somehow. Personally, I think General Neyland and Johnny Majors are spinning in their graves. At least the O will be interesting to watch like most other Sunbelt quality teams.

This.

I would like to put something out there I'm hearing:

We all think Danny White hired his buddy and that it was a lazy decision - one that could have been made as soon as DW took the job.

However, I'm hearing a different story. We searched the country trying to find coaches who fit the profile we were looking for: clean with the NCAA, offensive mind with a legitimate track record in a P5 conference, and obviously, interest in this job through sanctions.

That list of coaches was very short. Elliott, Dykes, Leipold. James Franklin faked interest to use us for a raise and facility upgrades.

So, what I'm telling you is the only reason we landed on Josh Heupel was not that Danny White wanted him all along. In fact, I think it was the opposite. We turned over every rock, turned every corner, only to realize our candidate pool was very shallow. And while Heupel had reservations about taking the job, White's personal relationship with him was able to bridge the gap.

The fact that Clay is throwing out Kiffin and Freeze is proof that he’s drumming up clicks. Anybody with half a brain knew neither of those were actually going to happen.

But he makes a good point, if we’re supposedly going to get hammered by the NCAA either way then why not say screw it and hire Freeze or Kiffin?

The fact he never game any of those three a call is disappointing.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Long post, so feel free not to read. Looking at this from three hats I have worn: AD, HC,(albeit on the HS level in Ga) and fan.
Totally understand that fans are disappointed. Wish fans who are disappointed would direct their anger at Fullmer and Pruitt. The AD was charged by his bosses to hire the best candidate he could get given the circumstances. When you have a major culture problem the conventional wisdom is you go in a 180 degree different direction. Your former coach alienated everyone around him and was impossible to work with or for. He was a Defensive minded coach who had schemes that were so complex no one understood them, and instead of adjusting he blamed the players and asst. coaches. You look for the big splash, but find out quickly that big splashes like to stay put and not risk damaging their reputation. So you look for someone you can trust who has integrity and has a track record of putting points on the board. You ride with who you know and then give him the resources (Asst Coaches) to be successful. You have to see a bigger picture than your fast-food, media driven fan base.

As a coach, if I were sitting at a P5 school and had success and a good reputation, I would not take this job at this time. As a coach at a lower level school I would take it ONLY if I knew and trusted the administration. Good coaches will tell you without the right administrators most people will fail. As a fan, I hate that UT could not get the "name". Sometimes though names are more about hype than results. I wanted an innovative coach with a wide open, adaptable Offense. Got that. Also wanted a high energy guy who would be good on the recruiting trail. Not sure about that yet. I will support the man and give him a chance.
Last and I will shut up. Tennessee despite its issues still has a lot going for it. Be mad if you want, but don't give up.
Christians on here: Pray for Coach Heupel, his family, Coach White and the rest of the Administration.

Y’all are the most negative group of individuals I have ever encountered. You could find $100 on the ground and be upset you didn’t find $101. Do you know JH personally? How many of you actually sat and watched UCF play a full game this year? Again, probably none of you. Just ride the line and see how things go. We really have no idea how things are going to turn out so please do us all a favor and quite whining like a bunch of Gen Z snowflake babies who need a safe space to cry. Put your big boy pants on and wear that orange proud
See you in three or four years. Same bat time. Same bat channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back