Where will the Lady Vols be in the top 25

Totally understandable voters don't trust us yet. Hell I don't trust us yet. You're right, the 5 game stretch coming up could gain us a whole lot of trust. This week we should handle Ole Miss and Fla, both at home and both lower tier SEC teams, as a runup to the major week looming next. We play at Miss St, then Ky, then home for SC. Now THAT is a stretch.

Win 3 of those 5 and we're at least competitive again and start to be trustworthy. Win 4 of those 5 and we are officially back as a factor. Win them all and I'm dead.
It’s not about trust of the voters. I mean, Tennessee went up 5 spots while going 1-1 for the week. I understand that the loss was against a No. 3 team and they hammered a No. 12 team.

But the polls typically only move teams up or down based on the teams above or below them. If the teams above Tennessee had won the Lady Vols would not have moved up 5 spots.

It seems that many fans think they recalibrate the rankings every week from scratch. Yes, Tennessee looks like they are better than No. 20 right now. But the polls dont work on that basis.

Use the Net numbers. They seem to be more accurate.

Key has dominated teams defensively. I don't think she can do that to Boston, which is why I think SC has the edge.

I think she can. Boston still struggles with size here and there. She had a tough time against Tamari last season and was frustrated. A lot like their Alabama game this year. Copeland just sized her and got her in foul trouble. I believe we will have a good opportunity to turn Boston over as well. She won’t be able to just turn and score on Tamari so she’s going to try to put it down and make a move. If the ball touches the floor while in her hands it had better belong to us. Tie her up a few times and take the ball from her and that gets really frustrating.

If we can get the ball to Tamari early and tag a couple fouls on her they will be in trouble. They rely heavily on Boston for rebounding. When she was out in the first half of the Kentucky game they got out rebounded badly and nobody picked up the slack. She came back in the second half and dominated. Really important that we limit her minutes.

Our guards have the size to attack her as well. They have to believe that. At 6’1”/6’2” both Davis and Burrell need to attack her some. You might get swatted once or twice but she’s gonna get some arm as well. If you elevate and extend she’ll foul you, she’s used to swatting shots on smaller players.

I think she can. Boston still struggles with size here and there. She had a tough time against Tamari last season and was frustrated. A lot like their Alabama game this year. Copeland just sized her and got her in foul trouble. I believe we will have a good opportunity to turn Boston over as well. She won’t be able to just turn and score on Tamari so she’s going to try to put it down and make a move. If the ball touches the floor while in her hands it had better belong to us. Tie her up a few times and take the ball from her and that gets really frustrating.

If we can get the ball to Tamari early and tag a couple fouls on her they will be in trouble. They rely heavily on Boston for rebounding. When she was out in the first half of the Kentucky game they got out rebounded badly and nobody picked up the slack. She came back in the second half and dominated. Really important that we limit her minutes.

Our guards have the size to attack her as well. They have to believe that. At 6’1”/6’2” both Davis and Burrell need to attack her some. You might get swatted once or twice but she’s gonna get some arm as well. If you elevate and extend she’ll foul you, she’s used to swatting shots on smaller players.

One thing you haven’t pointed out is that Boston has more range this year than last. She can hit that jumper from 15”-18” more consistently than Nelson-Ododa and that will be a huge factor in the High/low game SC runs. If Key has to come out the lane to guard her Saxton will have a one on one opportunity to post up Suarez and that’s her strength offensively. SC is the best rebounding team in the SEC, and while Boston is our best rebounder we also have 4 other players averaging atleast 6 per game so I wouldn’t say we sorely depend on her for boards. Boston is first in Blocked shots with Saxton third and Amihere fifth so that’s another scenario where Aliyah isn’t the only player altering shots. Rae Burrell has became a favorite of mine this year. She’s playing like she’s on a mission and I know she will be at the top of the scouting report. The guard matchup will be interesting to see. Cooke and Henderson combined to score 32 last year and are playing better this year but so is Horston and Burrell. They definitely have the size advantage but do they have the speed to keep them out of transition? It’s going to be a great matchup to watch for sure. I think the LVs and TAMU are SC’s biggest challenges this year.

One thing you haven’t pointed out is that Boston has more range this year than last. She can hit that jumper from 15”-18” more consistently than Nelson-Ododa and that will be a huge factor in the High/low game SC runs. If Key has to come out the lane to guard her Saxton will have a one on one opportunity to post up Suarez and that’s her strength offensively. SC is the best rebounding team in the SEC, and while Boston is our best rebounder we also have 4 other players averaging atleast 6 per game so I wouldn’t say we sorely depend on her for boards. Boston is first in Blocked shots with Saxton third and Amihere fifth so that’s another scenario where Aliyah isn’t the only player altering shots. Rae Burrell has became a favorite of mine this year. She’s playing like she’s on a mission and I know she will be at the top of the scouting report. The guard matchup will be interesting to see. Cooke and Henderson combined to score 32 last year and are playing better this year but so is Horston and Burrell. They definitely have the size advantage but do they have the speed to keep them out of transition? It’s going to be a great matchup to watch for sure. I think the LVs and TAMU are SC’s biggest challenges this year.

I don’t think Saxton can consistently post up anyone. She makes her living off the oboards which will be much more difficult against UT. If we force Boston out of the lane that’s a good thing. We would much rather force her to shoot 17 foot jumpers over Tamari’s extended arm than 1 foot layups.

Also takes her out of oboard position. Dawn will probably pull her out some to try to open up driving lanes but I don’t think that’s going to be a big part of their game plan.

SC is the best rebounding team in the SEC, and while Boston is our best rebounder we also have 4 other players averaging atleast 6 per game so I wouldn’t say we sorely depend on her for boards.

The point is still correct. But the numbers were exaggerated.

Overall

Saxton - 6.3
Henderson - 5.6
Amihere - 5.3
Grisset - 4.9
Beal - 4.6

Conference

Saxton - 6.0
Henderson - 5.9
Beal - 5.0
Grisset - 4.6
Amihere - 3.6

Reactions: NoBackBoard
I don’t think Saxton can consistently post up anyone. She makes her living off the oboards which will be much more difficult against UT. If we force Boston out of the lane that’s a good thing. We would much rather force her to shoot 17 foot jumpers over Tamari’s extended arm than 1 foot layups.

Also takes her out of oboard position. Dawn will probably pull her out some to try to open up driving lanes but I don’t think that’s going to be a big part of their game plan.

I will say this 6-2 Saxon is a very good shot blocker also get`s on the glass as can 6-2 guard LeLe Grissett and 6-4 Amihere . 6-5 Boston will try and muscle Key because she is stronger and we all know that. As for shooting right over the top of that will not work.

Georgia beating Arkansas last night moved us one up to #13 in the NET? How does that work?
DI Women's Basketball Rankings - NCAA Women's Basketball NET Rankings | NCAA.com

The NET ranking also takes into consideration HOW you played. Not just who and the final score. That’s why they are more fluid.

Because UGA has been playing well and we only lost them by a point it helps us out.

Arkansas playing them close and us having beaten Arkanasas also boosts us a bit. Likely the reason for the jump.

The NET ranking also takes into consideration HOW you played. Not just who and the final score. That’s why they are more fluid.

Because UGA has been playing well and we only lost them by a point it helps us out.

Arkansas playing them close and us having beaten Arkanasas also boosts us a bit. Likely the reason for the jump.
How is Indiana ranked so high? Tennessee, Kentucky, and Maryland beat them. The only ranked team Indiana beat is Northwestern.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
How is Indiana ranked so high? Tennessee, Kentucky, and Maryland beat them. The only ranked team Indiana beat is Northwestern.

They’re getting that seed because of their SOS in the out of conference games. They did lose 3 games but all to ranked opponents with pretty good NET ratings. They never got blown out either.

They beat NW pretty handily after the comeback and how you play factors in to your ranking. Just like we moved up a bunch after beating Kentucky handily.

The BIG 10 is the #4 conference in NET rankings and Indiana is so far in a first place tie with Maryland for the conference lead. Maryland is just behind them which makes sense because they have a loss to Mo State. Also factors in where you were playing. You get penalized less for a loss on the road compared to a loss at home. Indiana has two close road losses to Kentucky and Maryland and one close home loss to UT. Maryland lost to Mo State on a neutral court.

That’s the best I can make sense of it. It’s all very new but the NET rankings definitely favor teams A) in a strong conference B) who play well and C) play well on the road.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

Extremely close losses to both Maryland and LVs indicate that IU is pretty dang good. Plus, my eyeball test says they are pretty good.

Reactions: VolBall09
You are correct they are good rebounders but:
5.6<6.0
5.3<6.0
4.9<6.0
4.6<6.0
But we understand you wanted to CROW a bit😂😂😂😂😂😂
Okay it took me a while to get there but so worth it!!

And so late 😒 my main only point was that they’re the best team in the SEC. I stand by that regardless if the rebounding was off a little. Just three games ago they were all averaging that number. Don’t try to be tedious and petty to try to be funny cause TWO can play that game. Thanks have a good day‼️

VN Store

Back